Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Housing Developments

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

Zapi have already recived permission for light industrial at the back of grove and park and its been there since the first brick was went in to chrlslnd wood.
    the current changes they want to make are put houses up instead on that site and a school that has been requested by the dep of education. if people dont find out what is planed and make submisions (good or bad) to the wicklow planing then there is no point in complaining in the future. the plans are on view in the town office at the park and ride and sibmisions have 4 weeks from last monday.

get out and have a look and talk to any one on your local commite or council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

The point youre missing is it has been changed /rezoned from light industrial by vote of the councillors already this week the only submissions you can make now are those on the actual resedintial and commercial planning ie 211 houses shopping centre school and Garda station they effectively have the go ahead all that can be changed is shape / size or specific location:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i'd rather have houses there than warehouses.

not so sure about the shopping centre, but given the amount of empty units in the charlesland centre, the failure of the meridian centre and the proximity of Dundrum I doubt it'll ever be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

Bertie wrote:
    The point youre missing is it has been changed /rezoned from light industrial by vote of the councillors already this week the only submissions you can make now are those on the actual resedintial and commercial planning ie 211 houses shopping centre school and Garda station they effectively have the go ahead all that can be changed is shape / size or specific location:(

is this directed at me or someone else ?
    what rezoning took place this week ?
    do you know if a new layout has been confirmed or given planning permission ?
    there is also a petrol station, recycle cntr, start-up bus-pk, etc but i fail to see the point of your post because we (residents) can only make submissions and not stipulations to the council and planning board. without people making submissions the posibility of residents being involved in the development and its layout are virtualy nill. there is a meeting in the rugby club next tuesday (dont know what time) in relation to some of the issues here and its a public meeting so all can attend.
    all im saying is if people are interested they will seek out information and share it rather than just saying omg its all changing and someone else has to do something about it and then complaining after they did nothing about it.

The rezoning has taken place youre correct that the planning must now take place and submissions can be put in .In essence this will change aspects of zapis plans but not the whole scope of the project

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I presonally think that this sounds like a nice development for the area of Charlesland. I have read in other threads that some residents are disappointed or against this because they bought their houses on the condition that there would be some industrial buildings/warehouses/etc built there. A nicely planned residential area would be far more aesthetically pleasing!!

And as for the school, well that is definitely required for the area. The majority of people licing in the Charlesland development have young families and will require a school in the future. The current schools in Greystones do not have the capacity to take in extra pupils.

I doubt the shopping centre will be built. Isn't there also a shopping centre planned for Bray head (on the GC site)?

So the existing farmhouse will be a residential location. This sounds acceptable. Now it is up to all the local residents in the area to seek out and view the plans. Submit any objections before it is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I presonally think that this sounds like a nice development for the area of Charlesland. I have read in other threads that some residents are disappointed or against this because they bought their houses on the condition that there would be some industrial buildings/warehouses/etc built there. A nicely planned residential area would be far more aesthetically pleasing!!

Not that it really affects me, because our apartment is on the spine road of the estate (but mostly because we have agreed the sale of it), but I'd much prefer residential to industrial. I can see how people would prefer not to be overlooked by houses on the weekend though.
    I doubt the shopping centre will be built. Isn't there also a shopping centre planned for Bray head (on the GC site)?

I think that's correct - or maybe the Homeland site. I think that's for sale, and it's a pretty big site.

Isn't there also a shopping centre planned for Bray head (on the GC site)?

no - thats the new golf club
    the Bray Town Centre development is on the old golf club lands beside the Dargle (you pass them on the Dart as you're coming into Bray from town)

theres also a big shopping centre going in just off Bray main street, and of course Dundrum is 20 minutes up the motorway. Absolutely no point in building a big out-of-town centre in Greystones.

the Bray Town Centre development is on the old golf club lands beside the Dargle

Thank you for clearing that up for me!! I was shocked when I heard they were building a Shopping Centre on Bray GC. Now I understand :)
    Northbound access is about to begin next week they've started clearing the land on the far side of the n11 for the under pass there are signs up along n11 southbound after the delgany turn off giving advance warning of the work commencing.D.O.E. and N.R.A. say construction completion is due befor e the Christmas holiday.

Do you seriously think they can be that efficient??? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Funnily enough, quite a few road projects finish ahead of schedule.

• Advertisement

I don't think thats correct - they have to build a flyover
    last I heard it was due for completion early 2008 - it definitely won't be done for Christmas.

It wont be a flyover but an under pass much quicker to con struct.One thing though itll cause mayhem on the n11 north and south bound and I hear the S.A.R. will be closed again for a time.

Eden Wood plans:

Residential development comprising 70 units as follows:

1) 4 storey apartment block containing - 8 no. 49.1sqm 1 bed apartments, 8 no. 51.1sqm 1 bed apartments, 8 no. 74.6sqm 2 bed apartments, 8 no. 77.2sqm 2 bed apartments, 8 no. 73.6sqm 2 bed apartments.

2) 12 no. 124sqm 4 bed semi-detached dwellings(with optional roof space).

3)3 no. Terrace blocks containing-6no. 124sqm 4 Bed-End Terrace units, 12 no. 102.4sqm 3 bed Mid Terrace units.

4) Provision of balconies to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor apartments.

5) Provision of estate roads.

6) Provision of refuse storage facilities.

7) Connection to existing services. All the above together with ancillary site works on lands at the corner of the R761 and the Greystones Southern Cross Route.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Eden Wood plans:

Residential development comprising 70 units as follows:

1) 4 storey apartment block containing - 8 no. 49.1sqm 1 bed apartments, 8 no. 51.1sqm 1 bed apartments, 8 no. 74.6sqm 2 bed apartments, 8 no. 77.2sqm 2 bed apartments, 8 no. 73.6sqm 2 bed apartments.

2) 12 no. 124sqm 4 bed semi-detached dwellings(with optional roof space).

3)3 no. Terrace blocks containing-6no. 124sqm 4 Bed-End Terrace units, 12 no. 102.4sqm 3 bed Mid Terrace units.

4) Provision of balconies to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor apartments.

5) Provision of estate roads.

6) Provision of refuse storage facilities.

7) Connection to existing services. All the above together with ancillary site works on lands at the corner of the R761 and the Greystones Southern Cross Route.

Is this the same side as the farmhouse out the back of the Grove / Park? Don`t fancy a 4 story building overlooking me..

no - its opposite Eden Gate and its already under construction. you can see the crane on your left as you drive up the SAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dimensions

There are the houses/apartments in Edenwood as previously mentioned.

There is also a proposed development in Charlesland of a shopping mall and more housing units, garda station not sure what else, turning the place into a concrete jungle!

Also the flyover at Kilpeddar will eventually be built, still waiting on news on this.

And there is the public swimming pool going in at the burnaby end of the SAR, more info at www.charleslandresidents.com

D.

Cllr De Burca, Green Party General Election candidate for Wicklow, said a proposal to build a massive out-of-town shopping centre, with retail warehousing and car showrooms, was in conflict with both national and local policy on retail development.

"This proposal was sprung on councillors for the first time at Monday 4 September's Wicklow County Council meeting and despite the total opposition of county council planners, a majority of councillors voted to support it.

"This rezoning motion represents the worst kind of developer-led planning. The land is owned by Zapi and had been zoned by the Wicklow Council's planners for integrated employment and community services, including a primary school facility. However, Zapi has been in discussions with local Greystones councillors and now this motion to rezone the land for retail and residential development has come about."

The proposed development includes a shopping centre measuring 20,000 square metres, retail warehousing measuring 16,000 square metres and 210 residential units measuring over 200 square metres each.

"This retail development will be approximately one third of the size of Dundrum Shopping Centre which is the biggest of its kind in Europe, and half of the size of the proposed retail development on the Bray Golf Club lands. It will be more than 1.8 miles form the core retail area of Greystones and will certainly destroy the existing retail base of the town," said De Burca.

"The Draft Greystones Local Area Plan told us that there are over 100 acres of undeveloped existing zoned lands in Greystones and that to zone more would be to push the population levels up over the 2010 target of 21,000. Yet councillors chose to ignore this advice to give Zapi lucrative residential development on their lands in addition to a massive retail development."

The amendments to the Draft Greystones Local Area Plan go on display at the end of September for a four week period. Cllr de Burca is encouraging members of the public to go and view the amendments and to make submissions to Wicklow County Council.

Tell a friend

Indeed, the Local Area Plan brief states:

"Land use zoning should have regard to the appropriate land uses in the Plan area and
    the land uses in each neighbourhood and / or character area. Core uses should be
    identified for these areas and include indicators of acceptable / compatible and
    incompatible uses."

Quite a contradiction to what actually may happen.

I cannot help thinking about the huge scandal of An Taoiseachs "gifts" at the moment and wonder what "gifts" our own local councillors may or may not have been given or might be given. Possibly none! ;)

They do seem to be very erratic in what they believe to be acceptable and they do tend to change/soften their opinions on such topics over time.

Cllnr De Burca seems to be the only councillor with her head properly screwed on when it comes to these issues. And we even see our own local TD Roche ridicule her whenever he can.

The general elections are looming. If you are unhappy about what is happening in "YOUR" area, then let Mr Roche, Liz McManus et al know that if they want to have their jobs this time next year, then they had better start listening to their people.

Advertisement