Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glass block wall

Options
  • 24-08-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

am in the process of building a glass block wall in the bathroom. I am using the special system that can be used ( metal strips between the blocks to keep them alligned etc) however the wall seems to have a lot more give that you'd think- is this normal. The instructions say to lay beads of silicone between the blocks, however silicone is rubber and the wall feels rubbery too. one side of the wall is attached to a cement wall but it's the freestanding side that seems to be moving. it's not a lot of movement at the moment but i am only 2 blocks up so far. It feels like it should have been done in cement, but i am following the instructions. Will the grout give it extra rigidity or something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Was contemplating doing something similar (embed some glass blocks in a stud wall) but was told it takes a lot of time and that's something I don't have as other parts of the job are taking priority. But I'd like to hear how you get on with this and what product your're using and where you got it, and how much the blocks and accessories are.

I thought a special type of cement was generally used, but I'd expect the grout to strengten things a fair bit when it sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Was contemplating doing something similar (embed some glass blocks in a stud wall) but was told it takes a lot of time and that's something I don't have as other parts of the job are taking priority. But I'd like to hear how you get on with this and what product your're using and where you got it, and how much the blocks and accessories are.

I thought a special type of cement was generally used, but I'd expect the grout to strengten things a fair bit when it sets.

got the blocks from a guy who used to advertise regularly on buy and sell. paddy is his name from wexford. he advertises slightly damaged blocks but he sells perfect ones too, a good bit cheaper than the shops. i think the blocks worked out a a fiver each if i remember correctly ( i bought it all a year ago) the grout ( which is actually a water based silicone was pretty expensive 7 a tube. The metal strips system is a doddle to use - not a very time consuming job when you have the metal guide strips. i lay a row of six blocks in a half hour ( taking my time and doing it right ) and im an amateur - dont see how it would take a lot of time - i suppose they are referring to doing it without the strip system or something ( grouting will prob take me a couple of hours i suppose )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Your ment to use vertical and horizontal metal strips. You can use normal mortar when building, (really the silicon is only for jobs)., You also ment to leave soemthing like 5mm spacing between blocks, normal tiliting grout is grand, but I'm sure the silicon bashed stuff is ok too.

Important, the metal strips should to be stainless steal, or something similiar which won't rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

thetourist wrote:
    got the blocks from a guy who used to advertise regularly on buy and sell. paddy is his name from wexford. he advertises slightly damaged blocks but he sells perfect ones too, a good bit cheaper than the shops. i think the blocks worked out a a fiver each if i remember correctly ( i bought it all a year ago) the grout ( which is actually a water based silicone was pretty expensive 7 a tube. The metal strips system is a doddle to use - not a very time consuming job when you have the metal guide strips. i lay a row of six blocks in a half hour ( taking my time and doing it right ) and im an amateur - dont see how it would take a lot of time - i suppose they are referring to doing it without the strip system or something ( grouting will prob take me a couple of hours i suppose )

Has he got a contact number? I'm looking to replace a window:

With glass blocks. Will they be the same thickness as a standard plastered wall?

blocks are around 3" thick

will pm you his number later on this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

They built one in our job. Stainless steel threaded bar between blocks in special mortar. But they also used large plastic "clips" to fasten blocks together and leave room for grout. Wall is surrounded on all sides, no part free standing and there is still a slight give.
    Suggest you put on thinking cap and install an upright of some sort on free end
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

My understanding of glass bricks is that they are traditionally laid on a mortar bed. I don't think silicone could ever be a stable method of joining them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use Galv band to secure blocks in horizontal and vertical courses.
    Just screw the band to the frame vertical strips first.
    Then lay each course and use the white spacers to give the correct spacing.
    Use white mortar if you can it looks better.
    The vertical strips of galv band will have to be off set slightly to allow the horizontal ones to cross without interference.
    I wouldn't lay more than three courses at a time otherwise the mortar gets squeezed out.

My understanding of glass bricks is that they are traditionally laid on a mortar bed. I don't think silicone could ever be a stable method of joining them?

no, it's fine - i was worried about this at the time, but it's up now a couple of months and it's pretty secure - there is just a very slight give - it gets more stable the higher you go because the steel gives it strength i think.

6*7 blocks with one edge attached to a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just curious, but is there any particular reason that you didn't use mortar?

• Advertisement

Just curious, but is there any particular reason that you didn't use mortar?

no - it's just that was the "kit" that i was sold - i was under the impression that you could either put the blocks up with out the "system" ( ie metal spacing strips and silicone ) or just on their own - i opted for the easy way that's all - for all i know mortar is better - but i'd say it'd harder, but then again ????? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

what would be a good price for 60 of these blocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rorobobo

Hey guys...

Does anybody know anywhere in Dublin where these glass bricks can be got at a reasonable price? The only shop I have seen them in were charging €9 a block.

Thanks

Advertisement