Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for budding Entrepreneurs

Options
  • 24-08-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what books are a good read if hoping to set up a business.

Can relate to any aspect - i.e. Marketing, Finance, PR, General Tips...etc

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/

They also publish a book by the same name

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

micmclo wrote:
    http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/

They also publish a book by the same name

..is an excellent starting point.

FAS also do an Start Your Own Business evening course for about €200 or so, think it's usually 1 night-a-week for 10 weeks. Money and time well spent though, practical rather than academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Crowning the Customer - Fergal Quinn

A light but very beneficial read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Good book, I would suggest a book on strategy just so you can test out that aspect before you go too far down the road. Strategic Management, Hill and Jones is a good one; although academic it is quite easy to follow and it gives you a good grounding in strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You can download "I think I'm an Entrepreneur - get me outta here" for free.
    Covers lots of different aspects of starting up. Irish author. I've not read it through as I came across a reference in Irish Independent a few weeks ago and I'm writing a thesis at the moment.

I did a Fás SYOB course a few years ago. The presenter wasn't great, but was replaced about half way through. It does help to focus your mind and can make you aware of the issues you will have to deal with. Mixed backgrounds of people on the course which is good. I'm an engineer and work in software consultancy but there were some women who were in catering looking to start a cafe/restaurant. There was a gard who was looking for a way out into commercial life. Class was about 15 ppl IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bouli

Heres one: MAKING Bread by Brody Sweeney.founderof O'Briens Sandwich bars

A fantasic read and a must have!

**ONLY LOSERS PAY FOR LEADS** Discover how average people with no marketing backgrounds are getting prospects to pay them....NEVER PAY FOR TRAFFIC AGAIN!!!
    http://bouli.payitforward4profits.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Richard Bransons book, Losing my Virginity is a very good read..

Advertisement