Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For sale signs on modified cars

Options
  • 24-08-2006 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I heard that some of the fancy "For Sale" signs on the boy racer cars are an invitation to text the driver to organise a race!

I was wondering why some of the for sale signs were so well done on the windows....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Funny you say that, my wife said that to me this morning on the way to work. We were passing a car with such a sign at the time. Neither of us could figure out what the car was until we saw the front. It was a Focus, but looked like it wouldn't be out of place docking at Deep Space Nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There was a Galway TD on The last word yesterday evening Ranting about this.

His case was very poor he really sounded stupid, which is not hard for a TD.
    He ended up totally going off his point in his rant.

He had a very poor arguement, and did no investigation into whether his allegations were true. Matt cooper asked him if they tried calling any of the numbers as part of an investigation - to which he answered that he would not want to talk to the person with a car like that....

He even said that Auto trader is the place for Car adds and suggested that it's dangerous to advertise on your car!!

He definately scored 100% in the in an idiot TD who is also the local publican test.

<duplicate post -removed> ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

well, I guess some people just have an aversion to the cars. One of my dogs hates the ones with the bean can exhausts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

There was some crack pot talking on Today FM about that yesterday.
    TBH it sound like he just made it up, he had no proof, it was just a theory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

egan007 wrote:
    TD who is also the local publican test.

Just caught what you said there... sounds like if there was an opening for this "cute hoor" to open a modified car shop in the locality he would do it in a flash if it meant a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

That TD made a complete plonker out of himself. Whether its true or not (and I'll be eating at least one hat if it is) he still sounded like a gimp.

Q. Have you rang the numbers?
    A. No, I wouldnt want to speak to people like that.

Q. Who is the "us" that are aware of this?
    A. Me and some friends of mine.And people I know.

Q. Where did you get this information?
    A. We were told in good faith from people we know.

I mean come on FFS, if you're going on national radio, at least have a coherent argument, not just "well I heard down the pub, so it has to be true" I think this just shows how out of touch some so called politicians are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

He was quoted in the Irish Times Motoring Section. Apparently flashing an oncoming car is a signal that you want to race, and putting a 'For Sale' sticker on your window means you want to race. Did someone bring this moron to The Fast and The Furious or something?

Last time I checked, putting a 'For Sale' sign in your window, no matter professional the sign is, is a method of selling your car. Particularly modified cars, as they're worthless on a forecourt. And unless the unwritten rules of the road have changed, flashing your headlights means :

1) Saying hello to a friend
    2) Warning other drivers of a speed trap
    3) Comradery between owners of similar vehicles (Other MINI drivers flash my MINI everyday, doesn't mean we're racing!)

And we elect these idiots ...

I think the basis for his argument was that these cars never sell.

I have another theory for these cars not selling, They are toy cars done up to look like performance cars and have had the complete sh1t driven out of them by the current owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Another idiot TD looking to get his name out there. Its as Ned78 said these crap box boy racer cars are not tradable to a garage (or to anyone with any taste) so they have to advertise privately or at their little get togethers by means of putting stickers in their windows

• Advertisement

Feel free to eMail Joe, I have :

jcallanan@oireachtas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've never heard of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

ned78 wrote:
    He was quoted in the Irish Times Motoring Section. Apparently flashing an oncoming car is a signal that you want to race, and putting a 'For Sale' sticker on your window means you want to race.
    3) Comradery between owners of similar vehicles (Other MINI drivers flash my MINI everyday, doesn't mean we're racing!)
    VW Camper owners often flash each other and some of them will have 'For Sale' signs in the windows.
    Can't see many of them racing! :D

Del

I think this is one of the cars he's talking about.....

bm-super-car-for-sale-2.jpg

Seriously though - this guy is an elected representative
    how F*ucking sad is that

VW Camper owners often flash each other and some of them will have 'For Sale' signs in the windows.
    Can't see many of them racing! :D

Del
    Land Rover Defender drivers always flash each other as well
    Don't think I'd like to see that race :)

now that I think of it so do most lorry Driver's!
    Scania's street racing could become a serious problem:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, those bus drivers that flash eachother... they must be dying to let rip.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

lol

I have seen a Nissan Mirca and a Nissian Skyline going around with those FOR SALE aka Race me signs ... on the same roads, I wonder how that would turn out

I have a feeling if they were actually racing here not that the roads a good enough to do it on , that it would be a little easier to arrange that going around look for FOR SALE signs . and Who is that TD PR person they should be sacked along with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

If i were a copper Id be ringing any car I saw, then doing them for driving while on a mobile.:D :D
    Really though, I never heard of that racing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its the biggest load of arse ive yet to hear from a TD.

I guess a fall under the "boy racer" tag and can honestly say ive never once heard of such a thing happening,its the joke of the week on any modified car site that you look on.

Undoubtably street racing does happen but i could bet my car on it that its not done by people purposely putting for sale signs in there car windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Other MINI drivers flash my MINI everyday,

Never knew that! Kinda cool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jayok wrote:
    Never knew that! Kinda cool...

It's generally done more with the original mini's, rather than with the BMW hatchbacks.

The only reason that I could think of that could add any truth at all to whatever shìte the TD was spouting is that I have noticed that sometimes the "For Sale - 087 1234567" sign on a modified car looks to be professionally painted onto the window, and not too obtrusive - i.e. it's designed to be there for quite some time, as opposed to an A4 piece of paper which most people would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

eoin_s wrote:

The only reason that I could think of that could add any truth at all to whatever shìte the TD was spouting is that I have noticed that sometimes the "For Sale - 087 1234567" sign on a modified car looks to be professionally painted onto the window, and not too obtrusive - i.e. it's designed to be there for quite some time, as opposed to an A4 piece of paper which most people would use.

There mostly made by sticker or window tint companies.Costs about 20 for a pair made up,compare that to a week in autotrader and its a saving of 60+ euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Funny just spotted this one today! Was going to post it on "I saw this today..." to follow up the mad exhaust Lexus!

civiceg4.jpg

Lots of reflections but there are "for sale signs" on back and both side windows, race anyone?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Puke

{Edit}
    If that's what the filename suggests it is (Civic Coupe 1.5i LS) he/she is genuinely selling it... At a hundred and fsck all bhp it's no racing car...

eoin_s wrote:
    It's generally done more with the original mini's, rather than with the BMW hatchbacks.

[offtopic]You must be joking. It's done with my modern MINI every day. I see about 8 MINIs on my way to work every day, and we all smile and wave. And everywhere I go it happens, the comradery between all MINIs and Classic Minis is fantastic, and there's no segregation between old and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

You see a lot of motorhomes do it too.
    Probably vintage cars too I'd guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ned78 wrote:
    [offtopic]You must be joking. It's done with my modern MINI every day. I see about 8 MINIs on my way to work every day, and we all smile and wave. And everywhere I go it happens, the comradery between all MINIs and Classic Minis is fantastic, and there's no segregation between old and new.
    [moreofftopic]

I didn't know that, the new mini wasn't out when I had my original mini - I guess I never really considered them to be the same type of car at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Porsche drivers do it too, be it 911 or front engined... but never one registered after about 1998....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

the comradery between all MINIs and Classic Minis is fantastic, and there's no segregation between old and new.
    Strange, thats not my experience in driving around in a classic mini. It never occurred to me to flash BMW drivers.

I know a few mini drivers, none of which see a relationship between the two, beyond using the badge as a marketing ploy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Somebody should ring up a few of these FOR SALE numbers and do a bit of investigation on behalf of BOARDS.

Or not.....

Advertisement