Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical fish tank setup - what is perfect temp?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I bought a 3ft x 1ft 96ltr tank with all required items in pet stop at the weekend.

Was told by the girl that I needed to setup and fill the tank and leave filter pump and heater work for two weeks before introducing any fish... which is grand, but im wondering what temp the heater should be heating the water to in the tank.

I think i had it up too high last night (temp reading of 37c!) so i now have it turned down, but there are no temp markings on heater regulator so it is just a matter of trial and error!

So, what is normal temp for tropical fish tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

approx 27c note for tropical not marine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Research the fish your planning to keep and you'll get the right temp:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Excellent! thanks,

the filter pump that i have mounted to the side of the inside of the tank is currently pumping like normal (just circulating water but with no aeration), but should i have the nozzle turned a little bit to blow out bubbles to aerate the water in the tank or is there any real need?

Anyone got any ideas on this?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

Hi, you should have both an air pump & a filter in your tank.
    I don't think adjusting the angle of the filter outlet will do anything for you I'm afraid.

Pumps are generally inexpensive though, I think around 30 Euro for an average sized one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

The aeration does not really matter. What does matter is the fact is not "cycling". By this I mean the Nitrogen cycle is not taking place. By leaving the water to stand in the tank, pump or no pump, nothing is actually happening. You have to add a source of ammonia for the cycle to begin. The cycle is basically:
    Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate.

When the Nitrate readings have dropped to an acceptable level i.e. under 10ppm (parts per million) then it is safe to add fish.
    This can take anything from 6 - 10 weeks but no fish are under threat from the dangerous rise in toxins.

The best advice I can give you is to read this:
    http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tfc/showthread.php?t=34257

and this:
    http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tfc/showthread.php?t=60022

I got these off the site
    www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk

It's one of the best sites for information.

Hope this helps, J.

excellent guides!

Thanks for the links!

Advertisement