Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommendations for o2 upgrade?

• 24-08-2006 1:56pm

Hi,

I see on the o2 website that even though I'm a SpeakEasy customer I can qualify for a phone upgrade.....

Anybody got any advice on what I should get?

I have basic needs and was looking at the Nokia 3120....the Motorola L6i is however, according to the website, a best seller....

any advice would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Either of these are good. If i-mode is what you're after, which by the way includes "push email" technology (receiving email is free, and sending email is 15c per email), you could also consider the Sagem 346i, as some people don't like the Motorola user interface and find it very hard to use.

hey there thanks for the reply...this i-mode interests me. One thing I like about the vodafone service is the free email alerts.....if I bought one of these o2 i-mode phones would I be able to read the emails for free as well as recieve them? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Yes you would. I bought the L6i and got it today in the post. interface is different but it's quite user friendly do far.

Just trying to figure out how to get some mp3 ringtones on to it now. The default ones are rubbish!

If you want to ask any questions about it, fire away though I'm still getting used to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you want a decent i mode phone I personally would recommend the s400i by samsung, its a little bit dearer but a much more reliable and stylish phone than the l6i

able to read or just get an alert for new emails on o2 would be ideal for me.

As per my first post I was thinking of getting an L6i until Urban Weigl's negative post about its interface.....if you find any major issue with it please let me know as I'm still making up my mind!

Can't find any reviews online for either the Motorola L6i or Sagem 346i :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have had people in to complain about both the interfaces on the 346 and the l6, however they both have a rake load of features for the price. I still stand by what I say though- you want imail, go with samsung, I work for o2 and I do

SDooM wrote:
    I have had people in to complain about both the interfaces on the 346 and the l6, however they both have a rake load of features for the price. I still stand by what I say though- you want imail, go with samsung, I work for o2 and I do

I hear what you're saying but its twice as expensive as the 346i or L6i...I'm not that heavy a phone user to justify it....

As per my first post I was thinking of getting an L6i until Urban Weigl's negative post about its interface.....if you find any major issue with it please let me know as I'm still making up my mind!

For somebody who is coming from using Nokia interfaces, the interface on L6i is a bit of a change but it's nothing that will annoy you. After a while you'll be used to it.

If you're only after talk and text just stick to the nokias.

Could you please perhaps be a little bit more specific on how the Samsung is that much better than the l6i and 346i? Even with regard to i-mail solely?

I'd then be far more willing to part with more of my hard earned ducats for the S400i :D

Thanks for all the replies so far...

If you're only after talk and text just stick to the nokias.

Normally I would but the i-mail has me....

• Advertisement

It's a bit gimmicky on the L6i, but that's just a personal preference. I don't really bother using my mobile to check emails or look at sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If it's a basic phone you want with a decent battery life then the 3120 is your choice.

As for the L6i... imodes a nice feature. Be aware that the internal memory is very low (2megs I think...) and that there's no video recording on it. Imodes very handy though! With the imail! Shame you can't check it online though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Samsung > Motorola > Sagem. Sure it's more expensive, but you won't have hassle with it, something I'm bet you would have with the Sagem or Motorola.

Of course, you can just forget about the imail, and go with the 3120. Good little phone, if a little old now.

The Motorola L6i is not a bad phone, it's just that the software on it is not good and very limited. It's still a solid phone, though, especially for the price! Don't let me discourage you.

IF on the other hand a basic Nokia is what you're after, I'd recommend the 6030 over the 3120. It's more up-to-date, has a built in FM tuner, comes with a hands free kit (headphones with built in microphone, this is also used with the FM tuner), and it's a newer model. Not to mention it's cheaper. No i-mode or camera, though. Personally, I'd go for an i-mode phone, as I can't live without i-mail at this point.

It'll alert you instantly the second and email comes in, and you can read it in full. Far superior to SMS notifications. It's also good value, as sending emails up to 4000 characters only costs 15 cents, even while roaming.

after all this I was set to upgrade to the Motorola L6i on the o2 website but it seems its out of stock :(

What is the Sagem 346i like? Or should I wait for the Motorola to come back in stock? (don't know how often that happens)

Either of these are good. If i-mode is what you're after, which by the way includes "push email" technology (receiving email is free, and sending email is 15c per email), you could also consider the Sagem 346i, as some people don't like the Motorola user interface and find it very hard to use.

this was a golden response for me...thanks ever so much urban weigl....I got a L6i and can now be informed of and read new emails with I-Mode.

I have a GMail account and in "settings" , "forwarding and POP" have set it up to forward a copy of all new emails to my imail address...lovely stuff...therefore I have a copy that I can read through internet access and another copy on my phone imail account.

Advertisement