Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions

Options
  • 24-08-2006 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

These will seem like silly questions to all of you experts but I have never surfed but thought I'd ask.

1. Am I too old to try at 40?
    2. How strong a swimmer would I need to be in order to try to learn.
    3. I am Dublin based, where would be the best places to learn - I am assuming that the east coast is not a runner!

thanx,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

My dad started at 58, hes not really a strong swimmer.

Sometimes you never get out of your depth.

I would say Perfect Day surfing in Strandhill in Sligo, good roads all the way out, good ratio of instructers per students, lots of experience, special attention to beginers.. (like me)

best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Thats the great thing about surfing, these is no age limit. I know dozens of 40/50 somethings back home that will probably still be surfing when they're 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

your never too old to learn,...most surf places offer lessons,...i got started in tramore in waterford which is good for real beginners...plus you can head down on a day off and be back for tea!! handy.

My boyfriend is coming surfing with me tomorrow and he's a bit worried because he can't swim...but i never really go out of my depth when im surfing cause i'm a beginner...but i did make him come to the pool with me once or twice just to get him used to the water. as long as your not panicky in the water your fine...i know quite a few surfers who can't swim

You should definately give it a shot you'll never know unless you go..

check out the surf trip thread....open to even the most beginner of surfers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

As ls said check this out :). Everyone's more than welcome.
    I think like everything in life, if you put your mind to it ;) along with 'Your never too old'
    I'd be an alright swimmer, the better a swimmer you are the less you might panic but you don't have to be great. I would advise that you can swim though, I don't think I'd like to be in water if I didn't. lol your poor bf ls.
    I was in strandhill a while back and was out at about my nh ('nipple height' for you who don't know :p ) and I got swept out pretty damn far. It took me 40mins to get back in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you off. Just saying it's advised that you can swim but don't have to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I'm not an expert. I started when I was 35 and I was by no means fit. I can swim ok but I have heard that strandhill is unsafe for swimmers because of currents. However, the board acts as a flotation device. I am only a beginner so I spend a lot of time in waist high water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bert_man

You're never to old to start surfing - i know 60 year old surfers - i started myself when I was almost 30.
    I was highly advise against surfing though if you can't swim at all - you have to at least be able to thread water. The board does act as a flotation device and as long as your with it and can hang on you'll be grand. What do you do though if the leash breaks which it can and then you get caught in a rip (current) which can happen a bit - and there's plenty of rip in Strandhill. It's your own call really which way you want to go. I've had a few friends who've drowned - not surfing but in water-related incidents so am a bit sensitive on the subject.
    A couple of lessons in a pool could really make the difference - even 1 a week for a month and then go surfing. Lahinch is a great place for learning to surf - it's a pretty easy wave and there's not too many hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Cooee wrote:
    Hi,

These will seem like silly questions to all of you experts but I have never surfed but thought I'd ask.

1. Am I too old to try at 40?
    2. How strong a swimmer would I need to be in order to try to learn.
    3. I am Dublin based, where would be the best places to learn - I am assuming that the east coast is not a runner!

thanx,
    1. No, go for it!
    2. Average to strong would be needed really. Either that, or you just don't try some waves that are too big for you.
    3. Nope, the east coast is a no no.
    Head to Lahinch. There are surf shops there that will talk you through it and give you some lessons that are surprisingly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

average to strong me hole :) i'm a poor to average swimmer and i've generally been grand - just be careful, and know your limits. paddling on a board is an exercise that is different to standard swimming, because of teh way your arms etc. are placed, so takes slightly different muscles etc. takes a while to learn tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

&#231 wrote: »
    average to strong me hole :) i'm a poor to average swimmer and i've generally been grand - just be careful, and know your limits. paddling on a board is an exercise that is different to standard swimming, because of teh way your arms etc. are placed, so takes slightly different muscles etc. takes a while to learn tbh.
    im a beginner. technically i can swin from A to B(only with goggles on) but i am unable to tread water. should i be ok? i will make it my business to learn how to tread if necessary but how important is it?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Jaysus, Its a wonder there is not a high mortality figure for surfing. Have the rescue services being inundated with emergency calls for exhausted surfers.

I agree with FuzzyLogic. Yip its fine when everything is under control, but when the **** hits the fan and it happens without warning that is when experience and training comes into play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Apparently a couple years back the Irish surfing team were given use of a swimiming pool in Sligo and there were a few members of the team that couldn't swim!

It's scary the amount of good surfers that can't swim. Obviously their leashes have never snapped.

I'd strongly recommend learning to swim properly if you're going to be paddling out the back in surf over shoulder to head high. If you're just going to be waist deep, which you will be for a while, then don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

not a stong swimmer, always just stayed close in, waist height, thought i would be ok at that depth. i got caught out a few weeks back in Fanore, Co. Clare, it was a really scary couple of minutes, thankfully there was someone there who was able to get me out. just be careful where you go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We find all ages surfing in So Cal, although at the Wedge near Balboa the big surf normally draws the younger set cause of the level of difficulty. So physical fitness and swimming ability might be a factor, depending upon conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Enygma wrote:
    Apparently a couple years back the Irish surfing team were given use of a swimiming pool in Sligo and there were a few members of the team that couldn't swim!
    I genuinely don't believe that for a second.

If you can't swim, you have no business being in the water with a surfboard. You may only be up to waist-deep water, but an ability to swim is still an absolute must - what happens if you get caught in a rip and/or you leash snaps? You can probably get away with being a poor swimmer, but you have to match the waves you take on with your abilities as a surfer - this means you should never be anywhere out anywhere that you can't swim into shore from.

Also, confidence in the water is the most important aspect - if you start to panic, you'll find yourself in real trouble very quickly.

To the beginners, I'm probably making it all sound very dangerous - 99.9% of the time it's fine, but it pays to be prepared.

It was Tom Hickey (Irish surf team coach) that told me that story during a surf instructor course and he said he was as shocked as anyone. I think this was one of the first Irish surf teams though. If you're getting lessons with an ISA approved school swimming ability isn't a requirement.

Ever see that dude in Endless Summer 2 at J-Bay that couldn't swim?

I swim regularly at the pool and I've often brought some of the lads along and they're genuinely wrecked after swimming only a single length of a 25m pool.

I'd be willing to bet that most surfers would have a lot of trouble swimming in on an average day if their leash snapped. People rely on their leashes too much.

I'd say if you're learning and you'll only be on small waves then you should be fine but you'd definetely want to be getting swimming lessons and swimming regularly if you want to take on anything bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

I've been surfing a couple of months, and I have the following points, that I think are useful, even though I haven't found them on any surfing website, in the usual tips:

When you are floating in the sea, if you are wearing a wetsuit, you seem to be more buoyant, and need to tread water very little to keep your head out of the water. This is important for me because I'm not very buoyant, and in a Swimming pool have to work hard treading water. Maybe its because saltwater is denser, or the wetsuit traps some air aswell?

If you're not a strong swimmer paddling will build up your swimming strength too, because for front crawl, most work is done with the arms. Try this in a pool to see.

Duck-diving- do it with your eyes open, so you can see which direction you come back up to. Also use your foot, not your knee, on the back of the board, otherwise you'll get long term knee damage.

Sitting on the board- I found this very hard to get good at. Some people seem to do it naturally. Getting the right position forward I found very frustrating. I found if I gripped the board with my legs slightly, and let myself hang in the water, while stabilising myself with my hands, it helped.

Turning to catch a wave- again difficult, using both hands, one forward the other backward.

Just getting comfortable on the board in general- takes a while. Pulling the board under you to remount. Turning easily- the experienced guys seem to do this effortlessly.

Deep Water fear- This was a big barrier for me, especially fear of rips and broken leashes. I think if the water is calmer its easier. Irish sea is quite often choppy and quite unnerving I found.

Back/neck/ribcage pain- This was worst in the beginning- if I'd started young my back would be a lot more flexible, but I didn't- so Yoga, massage, and rest help a lot I think.

Wipeouts- I remember thinking "When I wipeout, I'll take in a big breath of air before I hit the water"! This is of course, complete nonsense. Just relax if possible and cover your head when you rise to the surface.

Surfers Ear- Earplugs a good Idea.

How often- In the beginning I thot- "I'll blitz it, I'll have this nailed in no time" I have since asked people " How long till I get good?" If I did it everyday, 3 yrs I was told. Otherwise, 4 to 5 yrs, minimum. Big commitment. Don't do it to get good, do it cos you enjoy it.

Surfers are generally cool, doesnt seem to have that weird cliqueiness that some other sports have

In Ireland 2-3 hrs is the max time I can stay in the water cos of cold.

I wanted a short board cos I wanted to look cool, and let's face it, looking cool is THE most important thing in the water. Unfortunately, I have to look like a dork with a longboard, while the shortboard kings laugh uproariously in my direction, pointing at me, and sneering.

I have heard the fear from house-sized waves permeates every fibre of your being, and during the wipeouts you think you're going to die.

Crab Island seems to be the highest wave up the pecking order, for the best of the best of the elite of the elite. (Except Aileens and Mullaghmore).

It's very boring sometimes, perseverance is key.

Watch vids to learn, take trip to hot country for new perspective, and to re-inspire.

Feel free to correct,criticize, ridicule or humiliate me in any way you want. Slaggings will have no effect, as I'm immune.

Useful post petrochemical. In order to alleviate pain and increase flexibility I always warm-up before going in the water by doing tai chi stretches specially in cold weather. I got a cramp in me leash leg once like a gunshot which had me floundering around in two foot of water desperately trying to float and unable to pull the board to me. Scary. I totally agree with the fear of large waves. Nothing like it. I was on my way out of the water one quiet day and I turned around just as a wall of a wave slammed down on me with a noise like the kraken summoner in Pirates of the Carribbean 2. I thought I was going to die there and then. Fun though.

Other tip: If you're worried about your swimming ability, practice by swimming back to shore with the leash attached, just breaststroke(don't forget to look behind you for waves- get back on if it's too big or going to break on you). Do as much as you can, then back on the board. Build it up gradually.

Use the pouch in your wetsuit for the car key!

You shouldn't really ever go swimming in with your board trailing behind you on your leash. In fact you should hold onto your board at all times. Nobody really likes seeing loose boards flying around the place. Besides, it's not really practical, the waves will just wash your board onto your back.
    If you want to build up your swimming ability do it in a pool or on flat days at the beach.
    If you really want to swim in the surf then throw on a set of fins and try bodysurfing. You'll learn pretty quickly that swimming in the surf zone isn't as easy as you think!

A lot of car keys have chips in them these days so you shouldn't take them into the water with you. You can buy a little box with a combination lock that you can attach to your car, unfortunately if the wrong people are around they'll just smash the window :( I wouldn't leave anything too valuable in the car

• Advertisement

Yep, never swim with your board loose. The surf will keep pushing it in towards you every 10 seconds or so. It will most likely whack you on the back of the head.

I stand corrected! On both counts.

Good tip about the key chips Enygma. I never thought about that. Luckily for me I have usually managed to have some poor sod (GF usually) minding the keys for me and have never needed to use the pouch (which I was always wary about anyway).

Using the GF as a key pouch gets very old very fast for them :)
    One of the lads has about 20 issues of Womans Way in his car at any one time, I don't know how she puts up with him!

Another friend of mine had his van broken into at Castlegregory there about a year back. Luckily for him he had a safe bolted into the floor with all the wallets and keys etc. A farmer saw it and rang the cops, they chased the lads up the beach and the lads got their Civic stuck in the soft sand! :) only got a slap on the wrist but my buddy got a cheque for the repairs to his car.

Actually I've a few questions myself.
    1. What size waves do most people surf, or aim to surf, typically?
    2. How many waves do you try for in a session?
    3. How many do you catch?
    4. How long is the session?
    5. How often do you surf?
    6. What's the best surf video out there?
    7. What's your worst surfing horror story?

cue wrote:
    Good tip about the key chips Enygma. I never thought about that. Luckily for me I have usually managed to have some poor sod (GF usually) minding the keys for me and have never needed to use the pouch (which I was always wary about anyway).
    I bought one of these recently. The have them on sale in Tubes in Limerick.

um...
    1. Head high
    2. heh, hard to count. Depends on how long the session is, but around 20-50 is a rough guess?
    3. 20-50 (over a couple of sessions!)
    4. 2 hours
    5. about 3 sessions every second weekend or so.
    6. Don't know, im not into the whole celebrity/famous/big wave/etc thing...
    7. None, really. Saw an experienced girl surfer get mauled badly at the cliffs in Tullan before, then struggling with the rip until she was rescued.

Good questions!

1. Knee-High to a few feet overhead (depending on the wave)
    2. Three waves is the quota, anything over that is a bonus, keep that as a rule and you can always leave the water with a smile.
    3. Depends on what board I'm riding, I usually catch less on the shortboard and more on the longboard. 20+ waves and I'd be fairly happy.
    4. In the winter 2 hrs is probably around right, 3hrs in the summer, but we usually try to get two (or more!) sessions in on a good day.
    5. As often as possible, only weekends and days off in the winter, pretty much every time there's surf in the spring/summer/autumn.
    6. Sprout.
    7. Snapped a leash on a big day out on a local reef. Took three on the head and got knocked around a good bit, thought that another wave in the set would have finished me but I managed to swim to the channel and swim home. Another memorable one was surfing DOH mossies for the first time, got caught inside when a huge set came through and landed right in front of me! I thought I was done, but it turned out to be quite soft in the end :)

1. Anything from a whales fart to 3 - 4ft
    2. Never counted. I imagine 50 is a good guess
    3. What do you mean by catch? I catch about 70% of what I go for but a lot of the time I fall off right after or the waves fizzles out so I don't really count them. If I get two good waves in a session where I am just gliding along good-o then I is a happy man.
    4. 1 x 2 hr in Winter, 2 x 3hr in summer with 3rd session if lucky. One time in Brittany I went for five hours.
    5. Every two weeks, if I am lucky.
    6. Dunno any.
    7. Spending a week in La Torche looking at a flat ocean

New question. How long you all been at it? I started nearly two years ago

• Advertisement

1. Head-high to head-and-a-half are usually the nicest to surf I find. Smaller waves = fun, bigger waves = bigger rush, but more fear.
    2. With a shortboard, I generally aim for 10 quality rides. With a longer board, I generally catch a lot more. It depends on wave size as well, not to mention crowds in the water. When it's double-overhead on a reef with a good few out, I'm usually happy with 3 quality waves.
    3. See 2.
    4. Winter - 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Summer - 2- 3 hours, or until I can't paddle anymore.
    5. It usually works out at 3 good weekends every 2 months.
    6. Can't say really. I've only bought a few - Litmus, Endless Summer 2, Fanning the Fire. I find the music to be fairly rubbish on them - too much Aussie surf punk. I got a DVD free with Carve magazine last year on the WCT Event from Hossegor in France in 2004 - that was particularly excellent.
    7. Nothing major yet [touch wood].

Advertisement