Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Yay, question time .

1: Dont enjoy really small waves, look for a nice big shorebreak, 3-4foot.
    2: Dont really keep count, probably 20-30+
    3: Lots
    4: Hell when i was back home we would stay out for 3-4 hours, the groms would bring us smokes in little bank bags to see us through the session :D.
    5: Havent been in water for months, dont have time to search for decent waves in ireland, can take weeks :D
    6: The No Friends series and Fumanchu :D, Surfing<Bodyboarding
    7: Washed behind the rocks at my local break, thought it would be a good idea to go out without fins :o , got away with a few cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

1. What size waves do most people surf, or aim to surf, typically?

Three to four foot.

2. How many waves do you try for in a session?

About 40 I reckon

3. How many do you catch?

About 15 to 20 (I don't get much practice)

4. How long is the session?

2 to 4 hours

5. How often do you surf?

About four times a year, hoping to increase dramatically this year.

6. What's the best surf video out there?

Don't know many, but this is Irish and impressive.

http://www.dreamcatcherproductions.ie/previewflv.htm

7. What's your worst surfing horror story?[/QUOTE]

I managed to sprain my right ankle and stand on a jellyfish with my left foot. Looked like a feak trying to walk up the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 My_Dog_Says_Hi

Yo! I'm a hefty girl right but I wanna start surfing would there really be any point? I'm a good enough swimmer. how much of a disadvantage would my weight put me at? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yo! I'm a hefty girl right but I wanna start surfing would there really be any point? I'm a good enough swimmer. how much of a disadvantage would my weight put me at? Thanks
    I can't see it being that much of a disadvantage.... I'm a bloke and 14stone - 6ft1'. Give it a bash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I'm a hefty girl right but I wanna start surfing would there really be any point?
    Only you can answer that. The only way to know is by trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

http://www.dreamcatcherproductions.ie/previewflv.htm
    Ohh thats the one where they tow-in surf waves north of Lahinch/cliffs of moher.
    Thats a really good dvd.
    "and then the wind died"

@hefty girl, go for a lesson and see...
    Theres always big guys on the water.
    The heavier you are, the bigger board you need. Not a biggie really.
    Even the surf schools have big foam training boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

4: Hell when i was back home we would stay out for 3-4 hours, the groms would bring us smokes in little bank bags to see us through the session .
    Hehe, we've got to get something like that going here :) So those little fellas might come in useful after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JimmyD

How are yez?:D

I've been surfing for 1 year now in North Donegal, so the keys aren't a problem just hide them under the bumper, and I've had the ****e scared out of me with fairly big sets also.
    But as regards the strong swimmer aspect of things, I was talking to a lad who had just started surf lessons and actually swam several kilometeres every day, but was shattered paddling a board, it is a completely different technique to swimming, but in time you become stronger at both.

And to the girl who thinks she is hefty, don;t let that stop you, surfing is one of the most inclusive sports there is with a real nice bunch of people who participate, it is for everyone and in time you will physically get fitter, gain confidence and be proud of what you do, as every time your paddle out it is a different challenge. So get out there and carve it up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JimmyD

Fup me!!! that clip at the cliffs of Moher is class!!!! Anyone seen the Billabong film yet? some intro...its on Youtube I think..

Advertisement