Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brother trouble

• 24-08-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey im gonna go unregistered forthis one.
    Basically ive been dating this girl for 6 months really happy all going well. love her too bits !

She lives down the country but works in dublin, anyway ive been to her home only 3 or 4 times since we've been going out.
    she only has one other sibling her brother who is two years younger than us he's 21.
    He's very unreliable and wild. he horrible to my GF's mother and her infront of me.
    Not too bad but shouts abuse wen he doesnt get his own way.
    He has a habbit of stealing money from the house and they have to lock there bedroom doors wen they are going out !

I think he shuda been kicked out ages ago but anyway.
    When he gets abusive wen im there i usually try to calm the situation by joking saying "now paul you shudnt be shouting at your mother and sister like that" not being serious but actually tying to get him to shut up.

The problem is i feel really awkward when he kicks off in front of me i feel like having a right go at him or telling him to shut the f**k up but that wud look really bad in front of my GF's mother and im not an aggresive person anyway.

If he ever tried to hurt her though id obviously stop him. i just feel i cant stop the verbal abuse.

I really like the family alot and the brother can be funny when in a gd mood and wud like to get to know him cos i know i want to marry this girl so its important i get along with him.

So what do i do when he kicks off and starts shouting again. Stand there and say nothing ??

Its complicated cos its her family. the father died a few years ago maybe thats why he is the way he is i dont know .

Any advice ???

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

How does his mother react when he starts this behaviour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Beruthiel wrote:
    How does his mother react when he starts this behaviour?

She sumtimes shout back but doesnt really do anything.
    I think my Gf gets really embarased wen im there.
    but sometimes i get the impression off her that she wants me to tell him to shut up ! but i dont think its my place. it wud be different if we were going out a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Doee he have a father / father figure in his life?

Sometimes some focussed masculine intervention will deal with that.

A bit of fear combined with good advice should do the trick.

Behaviour like that is a call for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Ask your Girlfriend if she'd like you to have a word with him, if she says no, then leave it alone.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

but sometimes i get the impression off her that she wants me to tell him to shut up ! but i dont think its my place.

No, it's not your place. I'd protest with silence. I know it's tough but try and ignore him next time he goes on a rant.

• Advertisement

The brother needs to find a gaff of his own and stand
    on his own 2 feet in life. That'll learn him.

He can always make the occasional short visit to see
    the mother and the sister and might even be happy to
    see them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

She sumtimes shout back but doesnt really do anything.

Well considering the fact that it's her job to do something, if she doesn't ,you should keep out of it.
    He behaves this way because his mother has allowed him to.

but i dont think its my place.

You are correct, it is not your place.

It's your place if your girlfriend is unhappy with the way her brother treats her and her mother.
    hshortt wrote:
    Ask your Girlfriend if she'd like you to have a word with him, if she says no, then leave it alone.

Cheerio
    Howard

I would take that advice.

Hey im gonna go unregistered forthis one.
    Basically ive been dating this girl for 6 months really happy all going well. love her too bits !

She lives down the country but works in dublin, anyway ive been to her home only 3 or 4 times since we've been going out.
    she only has one other sibling her brother who is two years younger than us he's 21.
    He's very unreliable and wild. he horrible to my GF's mother and her infront of me.
    Not too bad but shouts abuse wen he doesnt get his own way.
    He has a habbit of stealing money from the house and they have to lock there bedroom doors wen they are going out !

I think he shuda been kicked out ages ago but anyway.
    When he gets abusive wen im there i usually try to calm the situation by joking saying "now paul you shudnt be shouting at your mother and sister like that" not being serious but actually tying to get him to shut up.

The problem is i feel really awkward when he kicks off in front of me i feel like having a right go at him or telling him to shut the f**k up but that wud look really bad in front of my GF's mother and im not an aggresive person anyway.

If he ever tried to hurt her though id obviously stop him. i just feel i cant stop the verbal abuse.

I really like the family alot and the brother can be funny when in a gd mood and wud like to get to know him cos i know i want to marry this girl so its important i get along with him.

So what do i do when he kicks off and starts shouting again. Stand there and say nothing ??

Its complicated cos its her family. the father died a few years ago maybe thats why he is the way he is i dont know .

Any advice ???

Honestly take him aside and tell him the next time he starts you will deal with him in a most unpleasant way. fear is the only tonic for an ignorant little toerag like that. being nice will only encourage him. Discipline him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anonymoos wrote:
    Honestly take him aside and tell him the next time he starts you will deal with him in a most unpleasant way. fear is the only tonic for an ignorant little toerag like that. being nice will only encourage him. Discipline him.
    I think thats overstepping the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

i wouldn't go so far as to say it's not your place. It's a genuine concern because if it embaresses your girlfriend, makes her uncomfortable or nervous around him, then saying nothing is probably going to aggrevate it, that's probably how he got this way.
    Have a word with your girlfriend and encourage her to speak to her brother with you there as support. Maybe let him know you wouldn't speak to your mother or sister that way, and that being man of the house means caring for them, not bullying them. He might take it better coming from a man?
    But remember you are a guest in what he sees as his house so try keep it polite:)

InFront wrote:
    i wouldn't go so far as to say it's not your place. It's a genuine concern because if it embaresses your girlfriend, makes her uncomfortable or nervous around him, then saying nothing is probably going to aggrevate it, that's probably how he got this way.
    Have a word with your girlfriend and encourage her to speak to her brother with you there as support. Maybe let him know you wouldn't speak to your mother or sister that way, and that being man of the house means caring for them, not bullying them. He might take it better coming from a man?
    But remember you are a guest in what he sees as his house so try keep it polite:)

Thanks thats the best advice will use that !

Advertisement