Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site test

Options
  • 24-08-2006 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hi, a client is reporting a problem with their site in Internet explorer 6 with the positioning of the flash animation. I am unable to reproduce the bug.
    Can someone have a look at http://www.spoiltchild.com/testing/abcvoiceover2/ and let me know if the home page renders correctly.

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Doesn't render properly for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

have you fixed it I have IE6 and it seems alright not the same as the image below but it matches up all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's still broken in IE6. Strangely, it works fine in IE5.5 and is only a tiny bit off in IE5.01. I guess the relative positioning is breaking IE6 somehow.

The easiest way to fix this would be to use IE conditional comments. You can paste the following into the head of the document (below your stylesheet declaration) and it will fix IE6:
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    <style type="text/css">
    #samples_body {
    	margin-top: 11px;
    	margin-bottom: 55px;
    	width: 295px;
    	height: 234px;
    	color: #fff;
    	background: #00bdff url('images/lefttop_bg.jpg') repeat-y 0% 0%;
    }

#samples_body_b {
    	background: url('images/lefttop_bg_bot.jpg') no-repeat 0% 100%;
    }

#samples_body_c {
    	margin-top: 47px;
    	background: url('images/samples_bg_home.gif') no-repeat 0% 0%;
    }
    </style>
    <![endif]-->

You could also create an IE6 only stylesheet and import it inside the conditional comments with the same style content as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Getting the same here as PowerHouseDan.

Actually, just realised it's an IE bug which I've encountered before.

Load the page once - object misaligned. Reload the page, object correctly aligned. Clear cache, close IE, reopen IE, load page, object misaligned. Reload page, object correctly aligned.

As best I can tell it's a bug in IE's handling of CSS. My guess is that on the first load, it's attempted to render the page and load the CSS concurrently, thus somehow missing a major piece of the puzzle. On subsequent loads, the CSS is cached, so it has the full map from which to lay out the page correctly.

The only solution I have is changes to the CSS or (what I did) write dynamic CSS which serves a different stylesheet to IE than other browsers.

IE 6.0.2900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Works and renders fine for me in IE 6!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

looks perfect in ie7.

use a table instead of a divs though - then you don't have to worry much about positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

IE7, Firefox 1.5, Avant Browser all work fine for me. No positioning problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Brilliant, thanks guys.

I think we have it fixed but again cant check. Can someone clear their cache and have a look?
    Thanks.
    Alan

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

looks fine on mine

just noticed something: I have no sound but when I try and stop the movie of the two guys talking I need to press stop twice. The first seems to select the picture and then the second clock stops him. It only seems to happen when I load the page first. From reload its fine.

• Advertisement

Hi kbannon, that is the new "Fix" that Microsoft was forced to apply to all pluggins in IE. It is very annoying.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

right - wasn't aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Figment wrote:
    Hi kbannon, that is the new "Fix" that Microsoft was forced to apply to all pluggins in IE. It is very annoying.

You can remove it using this code > http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Advertisement