Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awfully slow downloads

• 24-08-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Have DSL IMB and want to download the following file http://www.archive.org/download/dn2006-0823/dn2006-0823-1_64kb.mp3 (file size around 27 MB) maybe on a daily basis but the speeds I'm getting are a bad joke 7 to 10kBs. I get estimated download times from 45 mins to over 1 hour. On speed test I get around 850kBs. So can anybody suggest any way to impve this.
    rgds
    dOH

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm on 5meg DSL here and it hasn't even gone over 30Kb/sec. Could be the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

Thanks for checking that petes. So there is probably no way around that. No download accelerators or tweaks that would make it acceptable . Something around 10 mins. I don't want to fil the box full of download progs and end up where I stated. I pinged the site and got 150ms which is about 5 times the amount of time for and irish site.
    rgd
    dOH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

5 megs ?... u lucky ****** :p , ive a 3meg connection andthat file wouldnt go over 8kbps for me...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Its works connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

Got 36kBs here at 2:44 AM on a 1Mb Eircom connection. Think it's just a slow server or it's being throttled back when outside the USA !:)

• Advertisement

I really don't know alot about this but have installed 2 graphical ping plotters ( www.pinglotter.com ,free and trial version) and been watching those for a while and - 1. Server is in San Francisco. - 2. Most of the delay is happening within the U.S.. And it's also apparently possible that the server is limiting dowload speed.

Wonder is there is software to analyse server configuration and if I would be able to understand it??!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the server is slow then no amount of windows tweaks will sort it out.

What windows application are you using to download ?
    Are you at least using something that employs multiple conenctions, I like netleech 'cos it's simple but there are many better apps out there.

I doubt there is a local mirror for www.archive.org and it is a kinda busy site.

All I could suggest is to leave it run in the background. The old trick of trying to do stuff when the US was asleep don't work so well these days.

Alternatives are to look for the file elsewhere.

Maybe a US proxy server ?

Might move to net/comms for to see if anyone has any magic moondust to sprinkle make connections faster by rerouting. Leaving here for the moment in case a windows related solution ( I'm an optimist sometimes. )

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

im getting like 15kb per second when im using torrents, says i have a nat problem tried to sort out me ports but nothing happened ......anyone sort me out?!

Thanks Cap'n. I'm treating this now as a learning experience. This file is a 1 hour radio show from Democracynow on satellite ( Astra 2) at WRN at 16.00 daily. I don't always get to hear it and sometimes if travelling by bus or train I though it might be nice to download recent shows I'd missed. But if I would hae to plan my downloads ahead by a few hours it gets all abit fussy. Isit possibe to alter the routing? There are some serious hangs up in the U.S. if I'm putting the correct interpretation on my ping data.
    rgds
    dOH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

on 2megs, I struggled to hit 6kb

• Advertisement

Got the file 27 Meg this morning Sunday 12.17PM in about 7 mins at speed of 54KBs. U.S. west coast time (server location) 4.17 AM. That would be fine if it was all the time
    tnx
    dOH
    P.S. And it gets faster but stranger. My ping times are unchnaged around 200mms. So its down to server restriction methinks

Time 3PM Saturday
    Just finishing off this thread. Download time are now 4 minutes with speed of around 95KBs. So I can very much live with that. I was begining to have my doubts about broadband.
    dOH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Im getting a steady 65KB/s now.

As said before it probable getting throttled once it exits the US as it will have left its main market.

Advertisement