Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Cork to declare independence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

linking to proc will get you nowhere fast boyo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

that f#'king website...

i wish they banned it.... its full of little spoilt children...
    it drags cork down...

here are some threads on it

Any natural methods to decrease your penis size?
    What's the worst thing you've ever worn?
    Comments on the term PORK
    Whats the best thing you've ever done?
    Isn't knowing how to spell 'masturbation' brilliant?

i mean spoilt little kids working in daddy's company with plenty of time on their hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

The link quotes CSO figures:
    Research conducted by the Central Statistics Office has revealed that despite the common perception that Dublin, being the capital of the 26 counties and having the highest income per head of population, creates most of the country's wealth, it is in fact Cork that is propping up the country financially.

But I know it'd be better if there was an actual link to these figures rather than a PROC link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

shnaek wrote:
    Looks like us here in Cork are paying for the rest of the country and getting naught for it:

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=518&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Time for the next rebellion perhaps? Devolved government? Then we could have our airport debt free, some decent motorways and a luas of our own. :D
    LOL!! We pay for your Airport (which isnt great, I mean our new terminal p*sses all over that shack when its built of course), we pay for your motorways (oh wait you havnt got any) and we paid for our own Luas. Show some gratitude man:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Meh. I don't know why I bother even clicking on links to PROC any more, you'd think I'd have learned by now.

Anyway. PDF document on the CSO website containing the research details referenced by PROC.

Bet you're glad I found that for you, aren't you?

And now, back to falling asleep on my keyboard...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

darkman2 wrote:
    LOL!! We pay for your Airport (which isnt great, I mean our new terminal p*sses all over that shack when its built of course), we pay for your motorways (oh wait you havnt got any) and we paid for our own Luas. Show some gratitude man:D

it true...all we do down here is take take take... and all ye do is give give give...

see we are ould dumb culchies down here...wouldn't be able to keep up with ye clever pale boys. :D:D:D keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I love the bitterness shown here toward the PRC. :rolleyes:

Messageboard aside, it is a very good, funny site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

best forum in the world. pack of dry arses on boards for the most part, at least there is a bit of humour on the PROC

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

darkman2 wrote:
    We pay for your Airport
    care to back that up at all? There's all sorts of stories as to who funded it.
    darkman2 wrote:
    we pay for your motorways (oh wait you havnt got any)
    ...:rolleyes:
    darkman2 wrote:
    and we paid for our own Luas.
    Good. Doesn't really bulk up your case very well though.
    darkman2 wrote:
    Show some gratitude man
    Uh, Thanks.

care to back that up at all? There's all sorts of stories as to who funded it.

Yes the DUBLIN Airport Authority is paying your debt. The CAA's debt. Why?!?!?

...:rolleyes:

Uh, Thanks.

NP:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

you're obviously a ****ing dickhead darkman2 if you have no brainer **** like this in your sig
    Remember Dublin is the REAL capital - not Corkbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

ha hahhha hhahhahahhahaha
    hilarious so you are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Time for the next rebellion perhaps? Devolved government?

Cork never was and never will be a people's republic. Only one county can claim to ever have been a peoples republic.
    http://www.limericksoviet.com/

Can anyone explain why Cork should have independence? Do you feel oppressed or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah, opressed by utterly ****ing pointless threads like this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This sounds like a great idea. Cork can have their independance tommorrow if they want it as far as i'm concerned;)
    The reason the midlands counties have low GVA is because so amny of their jobs are dependent on commuting to Dublin and it's immediate surrounding counties. Cork has such a tiny sphere of influence as comapred to Dublin city it is almost laughable to compare the two in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corkoniense

darkman2 wrote:

what a load of arrant nonsense. "we" is the national government based in dublin, not dublin city council. The DAA is supposed to pay for the development of cork airport, not least because the then minister for transport seamus brennan promised it in 2002, essentially to make up for the historical neglect of cork airport at the expense of propping up shannon. the DAA still owns cork airport and and shannon and all their properties and ancillary businesses, including the great southern hotels.if cork was to manage its own debt, the CAA should be entitled to a cut of all these properties, esp the GSH in Cork!!!
    BTW, it now looks like that the CAA, whenever it gets independence, will be forced to take on most of the debt of the airport following the government's u-turn(thank you martin cullen). this shows that for all their localist, parish pump populism, Fianna Fail are the most centralising force and centralised party in western Europe. they take ALL their orders from the top. one can only hope the people of cork remember this next may.

The irish taxpayer(across 26 counties) paid 800 million euros for a disconnected two-line luas when we were promised an interconnected 3 line luas linked to dublin airport for 250 million in 1997. that extra money could have solved cork's traffic problems for 50 years.

cork people do not seek independence (we're havin a laugh), but many of us rightly feel aggrieved that the State and its institutions are far removed from our city and county, and that the national government's priorities seem to be dublin (luas,dart, motorways, airport, IFSC) and "down the country" (western rail corridor, shannon airport, shannon development and other unviable entities hopelessly reliant on central funding). Cork and its people do not fit into either of these categories.
    I think we need our own transport authority to:
    develop our road network and not hope that funding gets pulled by the NRA as it did on the southern ring flyovers;
    develop cork port in the harbour, the second biggest deep water port in the world after sydney, yet only the third biggest commercial port in the state(!!);
    re-develop our once impressive rail network (the addition of the middleton extension to Transport 21 was a sop, it had been in the pipeline for 15 years), CCC wanted to reopen the line to bandon, while carrigaline is THE MOST car-dependant town the entire State.
    allow a (semi-state/privatised/ im not ideological about it) cork bus company run buses in the metopolitan cork area a la Dublin Bus
    allow an independent CAA to take over cork airport as debt-free as possible, and allow it to extend the runway to enable trans-atlantic flights(currently prohibited by legislation to prop up shannon!!!)

personally, i feel our regions should be divided into the four provinces (unification pending!!) with four capitals and with as much power(including tax raising power) devolved to them. however, intercounty rivalry is such that people seem to prefer the current centralised option with intense lobbying of central govt to satisfy very local concerns. Since that seems to be the way, i think cork should become a region of its own, with kerry joining limerick and clare in a new west munster region. cork could then plan its future as far as is practicable, which would definitely involve some more control over our own taxes. this happens in other countries of our size, so no reason it cant happen here.

finally, some of the cork-dublin banter is tiring. it would be very much in dublin's interest if an alternative growth centre to the capital existed. the centralisation of power and influence has resulted in some phenomenal accrual of wealth in dublin by virtue of circumstance, but it has forced many ordinary dubliners out of their home town to far flung commuter towns like portlaoise, mullingar, dundalk. dublin is the richest county in ireland and it is also the poorest.this is the antithesis of a well planned society and represents the death of community living. in its desire to please everyone in the audience, the government announced a spatial strategy that made every large town an "alternative" to dublin, thus guaranteeing no alternatives. focusing on cork and galway would be the real answer to this. any cork politician looking for your vote next may should be made aware of such an obvious alternative regional strategy......

that's my two cents' worth!!:)

Advertisement