Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad head-on smash in Shankill yesterday evening?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Because of bridge work on the M11 at Bray a lot of people are coming through Shankill village to try and avoid jams on the M11 so traffic is slow from the Ballybrack/Killiney direction. If you don't know the area it's a narrow, twisty little road, almost like a country road really.

Anyway, yesterday evening about 6.15 we were driving home and just after the Texaco garage in a gateway were three cars with people standing around, obviously the aftermath of a fender-bender. There was no real visible damage to the cars.

Then about 100 yards up the road just past the entrance to the Rathsallagh Estate/Shankill Dart we were stopped in the queue for the lights when next thing a big NI registered Merc, one of the cars that had been parked back the road a bit, came roaring up on the wrong side of the road overtaking everything and accelerating all the way. Because one of the guys we'd seen back at the earlier crash came running up the footpath after him I'm surmising that he was doing a runner from the earlier crash.

The road bends right as you come to the lights at SuperValu and just as this madman got to the bend at speed, a BMW came around the corner and there was an almight head-on collision. The nutter in the Merc had a split second to try and force his way back into the proper lane but all he succeeded in doing was taking another car out of it and blocking the entire road.

We were about 6 or 7 cars back and had it been 15/30 seconds later it's feasible that the fcker would've slammed into our car taking our wee girl in the car seat behind me out of it.

We live close by and as it was clear that the traffic was going nowhere for a long time my wife and kid walked home, past the accident.

The Merc driver was pissed.

There was a pregnant woman in the BMW.

You can drive as carefully, conscientously and defensively as you like but there are always bastrds like that on the road for which you just cannot legislate.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

****er should have his license shredded and never be allowed back out on the road

obviously a dangerous provisional license driver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

My wife seen this carnage yesterday, she didnt rate the chances of the baby surviving very highly, as the steering wheel was pushed right into the women in the BMW. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

ShayBo: Did you stay around to give your name to the Gardai as potential witnesses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

My wife seen this carnage yesterday, she didnt rate the chances of the baby surviving very highly, as the steering wheel was pushed right into the women in the BMW. :(

If that's the case and he was pissed then he should get jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If that's the case and he was pissed then he should get jail.

Too right ! What a knacker. Anyone on foreign plates should be automatically put in custody anyway for anything like careless/dangerous/wreckless driving to stop them disappearing without paying their dues.

Didn't hear about it on the news so hopefully the innocents weren't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

What I find really strange is the air bags didnt deploy on the BMW, and it was a head on collision... Things like this really piss me off, a friend of mine was saved in his '00 laguna because the airbags went off all over the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Shaybo wrote:
    The Merc driver was pissed.

Sorry, just to clarify, pissed drunk or pissed in a rage going crazy?

That's the sad thing, no matter how safe and responsible you are as a driver, you can never trust other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So what happened? Did the Merc driver escape? Anyone any update?
    What I find really strange is the air bags didnt deploy on the BMW, and it was a head on collision...

Did you notice what year / type BMW it was? My previous car, an originally Irish '94 BMW 530i had a V8 petrol engine and ABS, but no leather, no aircon and NO AIRBAG!

Back then some cars had shockingly awful poverty specs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

OMcGovern wrote:
    ShayBo: Did you stay around to give your name to the Gardai as potential witnesses ?

My wife was the person who finally forced the Guards in Shankill of their arses from the station 200 yards away so yes, they have our details and we'd be more than thrilled to stand in court against this guy.

cormie wrote:
    Sorry, just to clarify, pissed drunk or pissed in a rage going crazy?

That's the sad thing, no matter how safe and responsible you are as a driver, you can never trust other people.

Drunk.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    So what happened? Did the Merc driver escape? Anyone any update?

Did you notice what year / type BMW it was? My previous car, an originally Irish '94 BMW 530i had a V8 petrol engine and ABS, but no leather, no aircon and NO AIRBAG!

Back then some cars had shockingly awful poverty specs

From the little I saw of the nose before the crash it looked like an older model but I chose to stay by my and not to go right up to the scene so I couldn't be sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

The poor woman. I would put money on him not serving a single minute in prison. The law is an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

muletide wrote:
    The poor woman. I would put money on him not serving a single minute in prison. The law is an ass

Sincerely hope not, if the lady in the BMW looses her baby then the Merc driver is surely guilty of manslaughter amongst other things.

Personally hope he gets a spell in the joy, bar steward deserves all that comes to him in that hell hole.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

drivers like those really are inconsiderate and annoying!:mad: lots of them wandering all around Ireland..we can't do nothing but look out for them!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Scumbag. Hope he spends the next few years get taken up the back road in the Joy. Scum like this have no purpose in society, no matter what they do for a living. Hope the rest of his life is a misery. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

darkflower wrote:
    drivers like those really are inconsiderate and annoying!:mad: lots of them wandering all around Ireland..we can't do nothing but look out for them!:eek:

There's the understatement of the century. Have the gardaí managed to track down this guy yet? Did anyone manage to take down the reg plate number?

Advertisement