Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want wireless bb, what do I need to buy?

• 24-08-2006 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

For the past two years we've been using an Eircom 2mps broadband connection with our PC with the standard Netopia Cayman 3300.

Today I got a new laptop (my first) and want to be able to use the net anywhere in the house. I know very little about setting up a wireless network, but if I had the equipment i'm sure I could figure out fast.

I keep reading about adapters, routers and access points but can't figure out what I actually need. The Cayman 3300 has 3 slots in the back - USB, DSL and Ethernet - the last is not connected to anything.

So if I buy a wireless router such as this or this do I need anything else (adapter? access point?). Can it just be plugged into that ethernet slot? I know the laptop will be able to pick up the signal no problem - but what about the PC? Can it remain wired?

Thanks, I hope I have'nt asked anything too stupid!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Good research. Both of those routers will work fine. My preference is the Linksys one.

What you do is place the eircom modem into bridge mode (read manual on how to do this), connect it via ethernet to the WAN port of the router. You then config the router to handle the PPPoE settings in place of the modem (username,password,etc). And that's it!

You can still connect the PC to the router using an ethernet cable as before (Linksys allows you to connect up to 4 pcs directly using ethernet) and connect Laptop via wireless. (assuming it has a built in wireless card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Thanks a million! I'll go buy one of those now and see how it goes.

no probs. Let us know if any probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

irlrobins wrote:
    Good research. Both of those routers will work fine. My preference is the Linksys one.

What you do is place the eircom modem into bridge mode (read manual on how to do this), connect it via ethernet to the WAN port of the router. You then config the router to handle the PPPoE settings in place of the modem (username,password,etc). And that's it!

You can still connect the PC to the router using an ethernet cable as before (Linksys allows you to connect up to 4 pcs directly using ethernet) and connect Laptop via wireless. (assuming it has a built in wireless card).
    One minor quibble. It sounds like CGorman is using USB to connect his existing PC to the Netopia. If he/she wants to keep using the old PC, and they don't have an ethernet card, bridging might not be a good solution. A Wireless access point might be a better solution (as far as I can remember, you can use the ethernet and USB ports on that modem at the same time, so the AP would go in the ethernet port, while the PC keeps using the USB port).

I'd recommend switching the PC to ethernet, though, if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Yes the current connection is via USB.

I got the linksys router today, however i'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. I know I have everything connected correctly (according to the set up instructions), however when I get to the stage that says "Check the power, internet and at least one ethernet lcd is lit up"; the internet lcd is'nt lit up. The cable between the router and modem should work (brand new) and i've tried another cable in it's place, but it still doesnt work. Ignoring this and clicking "next" just results in no connection found when the set up program attempts to check the internet connection. All other lcds are lit fine.

Please help! Thank you!

• Advertisement

Sometimes the setup CD's don't work as well as they should. It's usually easier to use the web config page to set the router up.

Factory reset the linksys (press the reset button at the back for 5 secs). Then connect it to a PC using a ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to the PC's network card. Open a browser on the PC and got to 192.168.1.1. The login is no username and the pass word is "admin". You can then configure the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

CGorman wrote:
    Yes the current connection is via USB.

I got the linksys router today, however i'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. I know I have everything connected correctly (according to the set up instructions), however when I get to the stage that says "Check the power, internet and at least one ethernet lcd is lit up"; the internet lcd is'nt lit up. The cable between the router and modem should work (brand new) and i've tried another cable in it's place, but it still doesnt work. Ignoring this and clicking "next" just results in no connection found when the set up program attempts to check the internet connection. All other lcds are lit fine.
    If you're just plugging the linksys into the Netopia, without setting the Netopia into "bridging" mode first, then it probaby isn't going to work (because the Linksys is seeing the same subnet on both it's LAN and WAN ports, and isn't going to route anything from the LAN to the WAN).

That's why I asked about whether you need to use USB to connect the PC - when you put the Netopia in bridging mode, you can't use the USB port on the Netopia any more.

Does the PC have an ethernet port? If it does, then you need to set the Netopia into "bridged mode" (which effectivey makes it a passthrough modem) and then the Linksys will hande all of the routing functionality.

The instructions are on page 108 of this manual.

Advertisement