Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pluto's not a planet - was Pluto Saved! (was going to be "no longer a planet") Merged

Options
  • 15-08-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

This is my first time posting in this forum and I was annoyed that scientists want to reclassify Pluto's status.

I read today that scientists are thinking of downsizing Pluto's status to that of a planetoid due to its small stature and the nature of its orbit & atmosphere. It's a pity as its been there since 1930. It all boils down to what the definition of a planet is? How does one define a planet?

"Until recently, the commonest way to include Pluto among the planets has been to insist that size matters. The argument goes like this: even though it's smaller than Earth's Moon (or, for that matter, the moons Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan, and Triton), Pluto orbits the Sun. And because it's the largest object to do so--other than Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune--it belongs to the planetary pantheon".

See the following links:

ww.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,208242,00.html

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/259767.stm

www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9901/20/puny.pluto/

Sorry that the first two links do not appear as a hyperlink on this page.

Is/Should Pluto be considered a planet? 38 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    50% 19 votes
    Atari Jaguar i.e. don't give two hoots
    50% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Aye. Old news though. Pluto has been contested ever since it was added. If it is to be classed a planet, then more should be too and it gets messy. "Planemo" has been suggested as an in-between naming measure... *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I think they should leave it though (i'm new to this whole interest in astonomy thing!) i mean it orbits the earth (although it year is quite long as is its orbit), has an atmosphere. People have a fond attachment towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

On the one hand, Pluto is clearly not a planet but a KBO (Kuiper Belt Object).

"The largest recent discovery is 2003 UB313, nicknamed Xena."
    Hmm, mind you it would be cool having planets with names like that.

There is no decision on this yet according to the Official web site of the XXVIth International Astronomical Union...nor in their newsletter, which is well worth a read.

There's a lot of stuff out there! (Discovery Hints at a Quadrillion Space Rocks Beyond Neptune) so its possible that Pluto will get the boot but, politically it seems unlikely (Pluto is the only planet discovered by an American).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC2 had an enjoyble programme a while back about one mans campaign to downgrade Pluto and the reactions to it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Important news!

The International Astronomy Union are proposing to expand the solar system,

from Guardian
    Astronomers want to redefine our home in the Milky Way as a place with 12 - rather than nine - planets orbiting the sun.

The proposal comes from a two-year project by the International Astronomy Union (IAU) to create the first ever scientific definition for the term planet.

It will also mean that Pluto keeps its status as a planet, despite calls from many astronomers, revealed in the Guardian on Monday, that it should be demoted because of its diminutive size.

If the ideas are approved at the general meeting of the IAU in Prague next week, schoolchildren will, in future, have to learn that the solar system has 12 planets: eight classical ones that dominate the system - Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus - and four in a new category called plutons.

These are Pluto, its moon Charon, a spherical asteroid that sits between Mars and Jupiter called Ceres, and an object called 2003 UB313 but nicknamed Xena by American astronomers who found it.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The astrologers are going to have fun trying to work with all this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I think The Guardian is wrong there. There are 3 proposed "plutons", not 4. Ceres (between Mars and Jupiter) isn't one of them, although it is proposed to become a planet.

The vote is on August 24th.

More links:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4798205.stm (BBC Q&A)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluton
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Ceres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Mike,

I read today that they are proposing to add 3 new planets (planetoids) such as ceres to the list. surely it dosent deserve to be a planet, as its a glorified asteroid!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You could say that about a lot of planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The solar system has just 8 planets - as voted for by astronomers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5282440.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Pluto loses status as a planet
    Artist's impression of Pluto, BBC
    Pluto's status has been contested for many years
    Astronomers meeting in the Czech capital have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.

I for one feel sadness that the lovely little piece of rock will be erased from our schoolbooks etc. as a planet.

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement

BBC wrote:
    Pluto loses status as a planet
    Artist's impression of Pluto, BBC
    Pluto's status has been contested for many years
    Astronomers meeting in the Czech capital have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What's Mickey Mouse going to do??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, I still reckon it should be considered, always has been and no need to change it now imo.

edit: probably could merge this with the other pluto thread mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thirdfox wrote:
    The solar system has just 8 planets - as voted for by astronomers.

I for one feel sadness that the lovely little piece of rock will be erased from our schoolbooks etc. as a planet.

What do you guys think?

Well it'll still be taught in schools, just as one of the dwarf planets I suppose.

I was surprised to see that this is the best resolution picture of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pluto.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Excellent news. Goodbye Pluto, you wannabe.

The official newsletter has many comments on this from the astronomers. "Pluto, Ceres and other large Trans-Neptunian objects in quasi-hydrostatic equilibrium should be not considered as planets, since they never were the dominant bodies in their accretion zones." Umm, can anyone translate this please!

Next question: does this mean Pluto Express is going to turn around and head back to Earth? :D

Slightly sad, but I think the end result should be a good one - I remember when reading about the solar system in the Junior Cert that not much emphasis was placed on Pluto, as well as the addional objects orbiting the sun.

[edit] Plus I think the title of this thread might want to be changed :)

It will take a bit of getting used to and lots of people will continue to consider the solar system as 9 planets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Flukey wrote:
    It will take a bit of getting used to and lots of people will continue to consider the solar system as 9 planets.
    that's the kind of ths everyone said about the euro, saying we will still call it pounds, all it took was a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

. It's a pity as its been there since 1930.

i think its been there a bit longer....

There in the textbooks as a planet I suppose is what she meant...

The planetoid has been there for around 5 billion years right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

The facts are that Pluto is an asteroid / KBO and that it didn't form in the way that the other planets formed. It's orbit is much different than the other planets and, indeed, at times it crosses Neptune's orbit so as to be closer to the Sun than Neptune is.

Whether people want to continue masking Pluto's true nature is up to them - I don't particularly mind. I'll still know in my own head the origin of our 'Ninth Planet'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Flukey wrote:
    I'm guessing people said the same about the Classical Planets when Pluto arrived on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

No need to be unduly upset about it, they haven't voted to have Pluto blown up or anything! The only different will be that Ceres, Xena, Sedna etc will be added to the schoolbooks.

There has always been a lot of debate about Pluto and what it is and what accounts for its strange orbit. Maybe it is a KBO or maybe it was a moon of Neptune. There is a lot of questions about our solar system that have intrigued astronomers for years. Why Venus and Uranus rotate in the opposite direction to all the other planets; why Uranus rotates almost on its side; the 17° tilt in the orbit of Pluto and the way it in comes inside Neptune at times. Is there some connection between those things? Did some cataclysmic event(s) occur to knock Uranus on its side and to send Pluto, possibly a moon, away from Neptune into its own unusual orbit. There are theories on all of these and other questions. The truth is we don't know. That is part of the fascination of astronomy and other science subjects. Striving for additional knowledge and coming up with and testing theories; fully accepted theories being thrown out in favour of new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 itsAboy

I think they should leave it though (i'm new to this whole interest in astonomy thing!) i mean it orbits the earth (although it year is quite long as is its orbit), has an atmosphere. People have a fond attachment towards it.

Minor planets called after rock stars include: Springsteen, Elvis, Enya, Beegees, Oldfield, Jimmypage, Lennon, Rolling Stones, Buddy, Santana.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a long time coming ,so it not a planet anymore but a dwarf planet.... so it still is a planet... *doh*.... they should have named it a KBO... :mad:

i think childrens science books have a lot to answer for, not displaying the distance between the planets properly, displaying them all as if there on the same plane, saying the atom is smallest thing, and there only 3 states of matter :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

My Very Easy Method Just Sums Up Nine - *cough*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

galactus wrote:
    "Pluto, Ceres and other large Trans-Neptunian objects in quasi-hydrostatic equilibrium should be not considered as planets, since they never were the dominant bodies in their accretion zones." Umm, can anyone translate this please!
    weasel words

Pluto's orbit was inside Uranus not so long ago so of course it wasn't dominant in that accretion zone.

Jupiter is the dominant body in the accretion zone of the outer solar system. It protects us from comets. So the Earth isn't a planet then ?

edit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearing_the_neighbourhood#_note-1
    Controversy

Dr. Alan Stern, of the NASA New Horizons mission to Pluto, points out that Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune have also not completely cleared their orbital neighbourhoods, which would technically make them qualify as dwarf planets. Earth co-orbits with 10,000 near-Earth asteroids, and Jupiter has 100,000 Trojan asteroids in its orbital path. "If Neptune had cleared its zone, Pluto wouldn't be there," he has said.[4]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I read today that scientists are thinking of downsizing Pluto's status to that of a planetoid due to its small stature and the nature of its orbit & atmosphere. It's a pity as its been there since 1930. It all boils down to what the definition of a planet is? How does one define a planet?

"Until recently, the commonest way to include Pluto among the planets has been to insist that size matters. The argument goes like this: even though it's smaller than Earth's Moon (or, for that matter, the moons Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Titan, and Triton), Pluto orbits the Sun.
    If it's bodies that orbit the sun the Charon does too. The argument is that Pluto and Charon orbit a point out side either planet.
    And as for atmsophere Mercury has none worth talking about compared to most of the moons listed above.

Oh and it's not downsizing - like the corporate gimps say it's rightsizing

TBH
    maybe we need new definitions, Gas Giants is very good,
    Terrestial planets is also good.
    Not sure how much I like Dwarf Planets
    Maybe "Moons" leaving "moonlets" for the smaller ones.
    Why can't we call Mercury a moon of the sun ??

Advertisement