Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation and Debs

Options
  • 24-08-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

i have got my course in ucd and i have to be in for all three days for orientation (spet 6,7,8th). it says in the ucd pack that attendence is COMPULSORY. the only problem is that my debs are on on the wed evening, but i have to be on wed in ucd from 3.30-6.00 to collect student card etc. then i have to be there at 10.30 on thursday for an academic advisory meeting (whatever that is) and some welcome thing by hugh brady. i was wondering is there any way i can miss these meetings or do they get really p***ed off if you do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You will be a little lost for a few days but you can skip them without too much worry. No attendance is taken and you can pick up student cards in the admin building at any time during the year. You're not in school anymore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm in a similar situation, my debs is the 14th, so it's after term starts. I figured out a pretty good way to solve the problem though.

Skip the debs =)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Fcuk the advisory meeting etc and go to your debs. They aren't compulsory as in "if you don't do this you don't pass the year" type of compulsory.

If there's one thing I've learned in college, it's that they'll let you away with anything. If worst comes to the worst, tell them you got knocked down or something. Seriously, don't miss your debs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Go to the Debs. When i went into first year i didnt go to Art Cosgrove's (the former president) address, and now i have an honours degree. Your Debs only comes once in your life. Everybody misses the day after, except for me because my debs was on a friday (crap day i know). Good night. Took a lovely girl from Andrew's. She was very very pretty ! That was so cool when i think about it !

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

Same thing when I was in first year. Debs on Web of Oirentation week.

I was have the time of my life that week, and I wasn't missing it, so I left wed at about 2pm. Got parents to drive me to get home on time, back in the country. Then got a 6.30am bus back in the morning for the next day. No sleep = Little hangover.

And you can get your student card at any time from the admin building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The whole orientation thing isn't the big shake the college try to make out it is. If you're there for one day you'll meet new people and at least know someone when college starts. The friends you make in the first few weeks are rarely the people you hang out with for the rest of college, but they are important. You'll all use eachother as liferafts. Especially in the bar.

Don't build the debs up. But don't miss it. You'll regret missing it more than you'll regret getting your card a day or two late! Even if it's a **** night in the end, it's better than wondering. Hugh isn't going to say anything he didn't say before and won't say again. If you want to hear his address, pop in next year.

It's not a big deal. Juggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spudmurf2k

u only need to bother with one of the orientation days in ucd, from my expierience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

*dreams back to Debs*

That was a fecking great night, I must have blown a few hundred on mine on the limo shared with other people and on the suit, photos, taxi and most importantly the drinks which varied wildly from coke and brandy to pints of Carlsberg.

Then in Leisureplex, doing a bit of the ol' bowling and games.

Got home at 11.00 in the morning.Absolute class :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Go enjoy the ball! Yoiu wont miss anything those first couple of days only Dave Fanning telling you how you should support UCD fc (what was THAT all about?). I think orientation week is fine to miss.However I think its important to be there for the first week of your lectures as this does get you into the swing of things and it will be slightly easier to meet people during the first week fr lectures. But dont worrry about orientation week honey. Enjoy your debs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Raphael wrote:
    Skip the debs =)

You are kidding me, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

A question on orienttation:
    It says you must attend the things,does that mean(for computer science)
    that I have to attend:
    September 7th
    10:00 All science(DN008,DN030-036) Academic Advisory Meeting
    10:30 Computer Science(DN030) New student meeting
    12:45 All Science(DN008,DN030-036)Lunch

September 8th:
    11:00 All science(DN008,DN030-DN036) Library Orientation Activity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

10:00 All science(DN008,DN030-036) Academic Advisory Meeting
    I'm not sure about this one, I can't remember what it is about.
    10:30 Computer Science(DN030) New student meeting
    12:45 All Science(DN008,DN030-036)Lunch
    This one is mainly just for meeting your class, it was useful for me actually, met a few there who I am still friends with, as well as the comp. sci. student advisor. Plus you get free coffee and food ;)
    September 8th:
    11:00 All science(DN008,DN030-DN036) Library Orientation Activity
    bwahahahahaha, you'll definitely be skipping this one, I'm going into final year comp. sci. and have been in the library twice, and that was just to see what it looked like. Google is your friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You are kidding me, right?
    S'what I'm doing. I don't like being the only sober person in a room full of people I don't really like. Especially when there;s anything else I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Also, Mr. Duck, at 1:00 on the Friday you have your presidents welcome thingy. Not very entertaining but you get free food after it; apparently those not living at home appreciate this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I think i skipped both. Never did me any harm . If its Hugh Brady dishing out the free food expect your soul as payment for his time :D

hi Hugh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Zedd

Ah the presidents welcome thing was great!

I had free lunch all week from all the different courses! Just hang around on the grass outside till they open the doors and thens its cocktail sausages, sandwiches and fanta all the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Blowfish wrote:
    Google is your friend
    Yes, yes it is. :D

OP, You can completely blow off the President's lecture thing, it was thoroughly useless tbh, and all it served for was to show you what the O'Reilly Hall looks like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Definitely go to your Debs! Even if you don't have a Debs during orientation week, it is still advisable to avoid the mind-numbing speeches given by Hugh Brady, Dave Fanning and Co.

On a related note, could I partake in one (or more) of the computer induction classes for newbie first years and get some fancy USB keys for free (I'm just really stingey!)? Will they check to ensure that I'm a first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

But you get a free scarf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Debs FTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Not fully on topic but anyhow...

I'm getting rechecks on three my leaving cert results and i only need one of my three D1s to be upped to a C3 but the results of the rechecks wont be back by the 7th. Not keeping my hopes up but one of the three subjucts might be upgraded to a C so i'm wondering should i got to the orientation anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

The orientation is pretty useless, so if you aren't even sure if your going to UCD, it's probably not worth the bother (you could just collect free USB keys though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah the USB keys are great. I took mine off the string and put it on my keyring :) v.handy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

gubbie wrote:
    But you get a free scarf...
    scarf? pffft we got a wallet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

go to debs! i been to 2! and going another 2 this year! der fun!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I wonder how many UCD students have taken or remember anything from their orientation days? Answer is probably none. Don't miss your debs over it, ok it may make your first couple of days in UCD less daunting but the orientation days are far from essential. If you're starting in a smaller course then maybe do your best to try to make some of it but if you're starting Arts for example it's not even worth bothering showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Samos wrote:
    On a related note, could I partake in one (or more) of the computer induction classes for newbie first years and get some fancy USB keys for free (I'm just really stingey!)? Will they check to ensure that I'm a first year?
    You can definitely get away with it. Like I said above, I was in Daedalus on daft.ie trying to sort out some accomm when a class started around me... they never even looked at what I was doing; at the end of it they routinely handed me a box with a nice dinky little 128MB Imation key inside it. In first year I did the course three times to get three keys - twice with the same tutor guy who seemed fairly wise to the idea but didn't care anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I missed orientation, feck all difference it makes really.

U can get your student card anyime, free disk key thing same story onc you ask in daedlus and you can wander into any of the three talks by hugh brady to pick up a free scarf.

Do visit the SU tent if you're about... it'll be cool cause cool ppl like me + siningstranger will be there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

defo go to your debs. orientations' helpful but as long as you can find someone in your class who knows what the deal with stuff is you'll be grand.

to dajaffa: i'll remind CB to tell all the OG's to bring the groups by the SU tent? where are ye going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I wonder how many UCD students have taken or remember anything from their orientation days? Answer is probably none. Don't miss your debs over it, ok it may make your first couple of days in UCD less daunting but the orientation days are far from essential. If you're starting in a smaller course then maybe do your best to try to make some of it but if you're starting Arts for example it's not even worth bothering showing up.

I do.

Advertisement