Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eagle Star Insurance Special Offer

• 24-08-2006 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Was just ringing around to get quotes for car insurance and thought I'd share my experience which may be of interest to anyone renewing soon.

With my renewal quote of E800 confirmed as the best they can do by Hibernian, I rang 17 numbers from the Golden Pages and most came in at just over that. I found a couple that were better - QD at 720, Glennons at 650 and an RSA policy through BestQuote at just over 600. But then the nice girl at Eagle Star who initially quoted me over 1000 mentioned that they are running a special promotion until the end of the month. They will meet or beat any other quote I had so she then offered me cover at under 600 with all the trimmings (protected cover, windscreen, driving other cars, named driver etc). I've lost my loyalty discounts at Hib, but I've saved E200 on my original renewal quote and I'm paying 30% less than last year, so I'm happy.

Anyway, if anyone else is renewing soon, it could be worth ringing Eagle Star last once you have the great offer from someone else!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Fair play, thats a good deal alright. :D

Wonder how long this deal is going on, my insurance ain't up til October...

Knowing my luck it will end in September!.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sounds like you got a deal.
    Eaglestar are an expensive company with quotes in general from my experience. I think they refuse provisionals full stop and want 5yrs ncb for any sort of decent car??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

dunno about that, I've been with Eagle Star since I got my first provisional licence (a year and a half ago), it was the cheapest quote I could get at the time and being a first time provisional driver I didn't have any sort of ncb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

dunno about that, I've been with Eagle Star since I got my first provisional licence (a year and a half ago), it was the cheapest quote I could get at the time and being a first time provisional driver I didn't have any sort of ncb.
    Had you tried Quinn direct at the time, a lot of people starting out with a provisional get insured with Quinn as they`re competitive regarding provisionals. Im not 100% sure about what i said about eagle star, obviously i was wrong about them refusing provisionals outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

yep, tried Quinn direct and their quote was €200 dearer than Eagle Star and didn't have the same benefits (roadside assist, all glass breakage cover (though they did have a discount on winscreen breakage - over a certain amount and you paid for it yourself though), stuff like that).

I went with Eagle Star the first year and rang around for quotes when my renewal came up. I got a quote on an Eagle Star policy through a broker that was €100 cheaper than their renewal quote to me, so I rang them up and they matched it for me.

Am very happy with them so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hmmmm.....this Eagle Star thingy sounds great !!!
    But is it a bit of a scam??? Are they trying to convert as many people to their company by meeting or beating other insurance company's quotes.....and then next year pump back up the quote 150 quid ??? Its not going to be worth going back to the likes of Hibernian after loosing your loyality discount cos its going to be about the same price without it!!
    Or am i talkin pony at this hour of the morning? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

switched to Eagle Star through a broker, from Hibernian, am am now paying 300 euros for fully comp a year - that's 100 less than the TPFT Hibernian quoted me! Happy days! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I found eaglestar really expensive!
    Im on a provisional licence, first time driver etc... They quoted me 3094 euro (TPFT) on my 1.3L Starlet, and this was with there 'special' Ladystar programme! :eek:
    Quinn-direct quoted 1757 euro,
    AXA quoted 2453 euro...

And then britton insurance quoted 1212 euro...
    Needless to say i'm goin with britton.. :)
    Where do they get these numbers from??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I used quoteline (who are brokers for Eagle Star) when i was a provisional driver starting off (fully comp) and and they got my insurance for €1,000 on a brand new 1.1 panda car when i was starting out two years ago. I got my full licence within that year and they sent me back nearly €400. I got my renewal this year they were the cheapest around after i priced everyone else. It cost me €520 on a new 1.2 punto grande. Im happy enough with Eagle Star :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Trampas

Direct customers can also pay for their renewal online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carfanatic

ss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carfanatic

Well worth trying Hibernian. If you complete their Ignition Provisional licence assessment they will treat you as a full licence holder saves you the usual 30% loading or if you don't want to do that they will quote you with the loading - still really competitive. Not sure about all these companies just matching quotes - don't know why they don't just give you their best quote up front always makes you think you are being ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

bizarre...just called them there (Eagle Star) and the lad said they require more than 2 years NCB when quoting on a car older than 10 years. Doesn't make any sense.....does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

Sounds like a funny condition, but it is up to them. You'll probably find that quite a few insurers won't quote (or won't quote reasonably) if you don't have 2 years NCB. This year I have the 2, and the original Eagle Star quote was actually one of the highest I got, until the special offer thing I started this thread about (last day today, I suppose). I was amused how easily the phone lady could insure me for just over half the rate her computer recommended so I'm curious what they'll quote me to renew next year. I've been Hibernian for my first two years because they were the best available after I did their Ignition course.
    In general, when it comes to insurance it seems everybody's circumstances and experiences are different and that shopping around almost always pays off.

Advertisement