Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped By the guards

Options
  • 24-08-2006 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Don't know where is the right place to put this thread so please move if nessessary.

Was stopped by the guards today for doing an illegal U-turn (right in front of them .......duh!!!)
    He asked me for my drivers licence and address which i gave him. It was a company car i was driving.( work for a car garage).

He said he would be sending me out a ticket.

My question is....Will i be getting penalty points even though he did not mention that i would? He just said he would send a ticket. I didn't want to ask him in case he said....... "oh yeah......forgot about them oul points, here's two of them."

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did he mention any kind of offence to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

No. He just said..." i don't need to tell you why i stopped you, do I? and i said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I remember there is a list somewhere of the violations that can get you penalty points. I don't think an illegal u-turn was one of them. Mind you it could come under some other violation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/gen142002a.html

1 point by fixed penalty, 3 points if you go to court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yah, failure to comply with prohibitory traffic signs.

However, it wasn't mentioned to you, so you should be alright. You could try argue the case if it does occur, you'd want to find out if you stand a chance though, else it's 3 points :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Thanks for all the replies guys. Gonna have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

just take the point and get over it. you now you were in the wrong so whats the big deal?
    The fact he didnt say the offence wont matter coz you can get done even if you are not stopped at all so it wont matter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Assuming it was over the OPs 'failure to comply with prohibitory traffic signs'. There could be dangerous driving, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Fixed charge offenses
    A new system of fixed charge fines for driving offences was introduced on 3 April, 2006. Among the offences covered include parking illegally in a disabled parking space, failure of passengers to wear seatbelts as required and driving in a bus lane during its period of operation. A list of the fixed charge offenses is available here (pdf). A person has 28 days from the date of the fixed charge notice to pay the fine. If it is not paid within 28 days, the charge increases by 50 per cent. If it is still unpaid after a further 28 days, court proceedings are initiated.
    Making a U-turn on a dual carriageway where a “No U-turn” traffic sign is on display
    (first 28 days)€60 – was direct summons
    (next 28 days)€90

Dont think there are penalty points involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can do a U-Turn anywhere, unless there is a No U-Turn sign, right? And on Dual Carriage-Ways/Motorways etv obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Billygoat - where did you u-turn, were there and no u-turn signs, and did you cross a solid white line?

Advertisement