Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers not indicating on roundabouts...

• 24-08-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Why do so many drivers fail to indicate properly on a roundabout?

I hate it! It makes me so mad... :mad: :mad:

Do they not know the rules of entering and exiting a roundabout? Are they so lazy that they dont bother to indicate? Or maybe they are just plain stupid? :confused:

I see it every single day, especially at the roundabout in Walkinstown and the roundabout up from Nutgrove Shopping centre. I've had near misses several times because of drivers not indicating when they are turning off or not indicating at all. It infuriates me and I blast the horn at them but it does no good of course, maybe it embarresses them a bit, I hope so, but doubt it. They probably are so dumb they don't even realise they are in the wrong.

Does this bother anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yes, drives me bonkers as well.

Was talking to a driving instructor the other day, he said not to rely on people indicating, ever. It is merely a representation of the intention to turn that way.
    Some people use them, some don't, some people use them incorrectly, some people use them too much. bleh. I nearly got knocked down because a car was indicating to turn, so i strolled across the rd, next thing I know the car is stopped right beside me, and I was oblivious. Never trust an indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The worst is people going right but indicating left :mad:

That and waiting for people coming from your right that do not indicate but turn left. So waiting for nothing. Ignorant bastards :(
    Da Bounca wrote:
    Was talking to a driving instructor the other day, he said not to rely on people indicating, ever.

Exactly! That has saved me from many accidents over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I totally agree with you OP, it drives me mad. The route i take to work has about 7 roundabouts, so you can imagine how p**sed off i gt everyday. I was coming home today and some fool saw i was clearly on the roundabout, but he decides to pull out and didn;t ecen indicate when he made the same exit. I made sure he heard my anger.

ITs not just people who dont indicate. I hate when your on the roundabout and you see people waiting and then the last minute they decide to pull out in front of you :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At least half of the time, the decisions I take on roundabouts are based on the speed, road position and type of vehicle which is on the roundabout. A lot of the time, you can tell exactly where a car is going by how they're entered the junction, regardless of their indication.

If had to break it down, I'd say that non-indication on roundabouts is 80% laziness, 15% ignorance and 5% arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I think the worst is when the driver doesn't know he has it on, especially on the M50.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    At least half of the time, the decisions I take on roundabouts are based on the speed, road position and type of vehicle

Same here. It reduces risk while minimising lost time. The quicker your own vehicle could accelerate / decelerate if necessary, the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Da Bounca wrote:
    . Never trust an indicator.

I remember reading that the only thing you can be sure of when you see an indicator on is that the indicator works :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tbh wrote:
    I remember reading that the only thing you can be sure of when you see an indicator on is that the indicator works :D

Unless it's a Punto, where an indicator means someone just pressed the brake pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Aagh! It happened again on my way home from work this evening. Some idiotic woman in front of me talking on her mobile does not indicate going round the roundabout. I blared my horn for a good few seconds at her cos it really p*ssed me off.

Sheeezh... Its ridiculous why dont people use indicators. They are on the car for a f*cking reason... :mad:

/takes a deep breath to calm down... ah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my idiot of an ex-fiance reckoned that he should always indicate right when entering a roundabout, then indicate left when exiting. When I pointed out the rules of the road to him (indicate left when taking first exit, don't indicate until the exit before the one you intend taking when taking the second exit and indicating right when taking the third exit, only indicating left when passing the exit before the one you intend to take); he informed me that he'd passed his test and his own logic dictated people would have a better idea of what he was about to do if he made up his own form of indicating (yeah, I know).

I suppose my point is once somebody passes their test they can drive as stupidly as they wish and nobody is ever pulled up for not indicating properly.

As somebody else has pointed out, never rely on indicators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Or another thing that really bugs me on bigger roundabouts is when people dont realise that there are two lanes of traffic on the roundabout. They start on the left lane when they are taking the second exit - nothing wrong there - but then instead of actually staying in the left lane thus allowing other traffic that are taking the 3rd exit to drive at the same time in the right lane, they just drive in a straight line thru' it ie ie cutting across the lanes GRrrrrr

colm_mcm wrote:
    Unless it's a Punto, where an indicator means someone just pressed the brake pedal.

You got it all wrong, Colm ;)

Indicating left usually leads to hazards. Indicating right is for wipers and hazards mean fog lights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Da Bounca wrote:

Was talking to a driving instructor the other day, he said not to rely on people indicating, ever. It is merely a representation of the intention to turn that way.

that's some instruction his giving......last time i checked it was the law.

drives me mad as well, but their are people out there who don't know how to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Unbeliveable really and I've noticed that its almost always the full licence drivers that don't indicate and not the provisional drivers with their L plates up.

Although that's assuming if they are not displaying L plates they have a full licence, as there are too many drivers out there with no L plates up when they should have.

Some people just have no clue. :rolleyes: Apart from indicating being part of the rules of the road, its also a courtesy to show other road users which direction you intend to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Lpfsox wrote:
    my idiot of an ex-fiance reckoned that he should always indicate right when entering a roundabout, then indicate left when exiting. When I pointed out the rules of the road to him (indicate left when taking first exit, don't indicate until the exit before the one you intend taking when taking the second exit and indicating right when taking the third exit, only indicating left when passing the exit before the one you intend to take); he informed me that he'd passed his test and his own logic dictated people would have a better idea of what he was about to do if he made up his own form of indicating (yeah, I know).

I suppose my point is once somebody passes their test they can drive as stupidly as they wish and nobody is ever pulled up for not indicating properly.

As somebody else has pointed out, never rely on indicators.
    No wonder you broke up with him!

I once saw a car with an L plate approach a roundabout, indicate right, go past the second exit, then indicate left and then take the third exit. I wanted to pull him over and congratulate him and tell him how I wish only everybody on the road could be like him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was turning left onto a T junction last week. A geezer coming from my right was slowing down / indicating and generally looked like he was turning left. Of course he wasn't. He sailed right in front of me at a leisurly pace. If I had gone out he would have gone into the side of me and it would have been my fault. The difference here was it looked like he was trying to get me out so he could go into me.

IrishRover wrote:
    I once saw a car with an L plate approach a roundabout, indicate right, go past the second exit, then indicate left and then take the third exit. I wanted to pull him over and congratulate him and tell him how I wish only everybody on the road could be like him.

:D

Perhaps a simplified system would work better as it is easier to understand. Forget about first second and third exits. Forget about being before, at or after an exit. Just:

Indicate left when going left
    Don't indicate when not taking a turn
    Indicate right when going right

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

ha ha i think its funny that no one here does it yet as some stated 80% of drivers do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It drivers me nuts..think of the amount of traffic jams that would be reduced if idiots learnt how to use their indicators properly on roundabouts.
    What I hate most of all is those idiots who are on the outer lane indicating right and indicate left at the second exit before their 12 o'clock.
    Actually wait...it's the morons who are on the inner lane who suddenly decide realise they're the wrong lane and attempt to cut you off to get to the exit..by all means go ahead ;) I never give way to those clowns.
    I know it's petty but all of them have no choice but to stop when they realize they're not getting in front of me. They're only option is to stop or crash into me and since they're in the wrong lane and they know it, it's not much of a choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

a car cut in front of me on a huge roundabout,no indicator either, there was plenty of cars behind me doing at least 60 it could have been a fatality..

but youd be surprised the amount of times things like this happen,people cutting in front of each other,no indicator or nothing just moved lane at the last minute,quite scary!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

As a bloody fordner who is only here to steal your wimenz, I have to say I had to completely forget that indicators ever existed when I started driving in Ireland. The number of drivers here who use indicators as an optional decorative feature is simply staggering. And not a bother on them either.

Not that drivers are great in the old homestead either, but at least you'll get failed at your test if you don't indicate before turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Oink wrote: »
    Not that drivers are great in the old homestead either, but at least you'll get failed at your test if you don't indicate before turning.

You'll fail here too - but the amnesty in the 80s where people got licenses for collecting boxes of Kellogg's corn flakes ensured that people who can't actually drive are still on Irish roads.

I've always found middle aged people to be the worst drivers in Ireland... lay off the youth!

Oh, and nice 6 years thread bump :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

6 year old thread - that has to be some sort of record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    6 year old thread - that has to be some sort of record!

Nope :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement