Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A great AH thread locked

Options
  • 24-08-2006 4:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Id like to say Ruu is doing a great job and AH is looking much smoother lately compared to a couple of months ago. Great choice for a Mod.

I thought the moving of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054978311 however was a bit of a kneejerk reaction to a bit of OT chatting. Its threads like that that make AH and Boards overall feel like a community board rather than just 75,000 people with random opinions.

After PM'ing Ruu his mind is made up but I thought it should be said in Feedback anyway.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51952462&postcount=327
    Followed shortly by
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51953838&postcount=329

What's hard to understand? The guy cleaned up the thread a number of times. It was taking up his time. He could have moved it elsewhere. He decided on the Recycle Bin. His call. Your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

He should have locked it and kept it in After Hours in my opinion but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As I stated in the PM, IvaBigWun, imo the thread was finished and two other users mentioned this also. All I could see was people using it to boost their postcounts and pointless bumping. I could have also banned a heap of users for off topic but its just not the way I chose to do things. I don't really like being ignored when I post my comments on a thread and most of the times I let it go. I think I'm being more than fair here. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The fun factor is slipping from Boards it has to be said. What exactly is wrong with OT chat on a topic about board members having a laugh at each other? The big hangup on AH seems to be "no OT chat", but why exactly? Its not exactly PI is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Get over it Iva, do you really think there was anything more decent to get out of it? My Truth or Dare thread went to TCN, fair enough it had run its course and similarily like Ruu said it was purely a postcount boost.

It was fun and it ended ..... take a screen grab of it and put it on a t-shirt ;)

• Advertisement

Send it to TCN then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

IvaBigWun wrote:
    The fun factor is slipping from Boards it has to be said.
    Spongebob:
    What is fun
    Let me spell it for ya

F is for friends who do stuff togeher
    U is for U and me
    N is for anywhere and anytime at all
    Sea creatures:
    Down here in the deep blue sea

Plankton:
    F is for fire that burns down the whole town
    U's for uranium... bombs
    N is for no suvivors when you.....

Spongebob:
    Plankton those thing aren't what fun is all about
    Now do it like this
    F is for friends who do stuff to....

Plankton:
    Never, that’s completely idiotic

Spongebob:
    Here let me help you
    F is for friend who do stuff together
    U is for U and me
    TRY IT!

Plankton:
    N is for anywhere and anytime at all
    Sea Creatures:
    Down here in the deep blue sea
    Plankton:
    Wait, I don’t understand this... I feel all tingly inside. Should we stop

Spongebob:
    That’s how you're supposed to feel

Plankton:
    Well I like it
    Let’s do it again
    Spongebob:
    OK!!
    Both:
    F is for frolicking through all the flowers
    U is for Ukulele
    N is for nose picking sharing gum sun-linking'
    Here with my best buddy

Amz wrote:

Plankton:
    Well I like it
    Let’s do it again
    Spongebob:
    OK!!
    Both:
    F is for frolicking through all the flowers
    U is for Ukulele
    N is for nose picking sharing gum sun-linking'
    Here with my best buddy

lol

Altogether now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

IvaBigWun wrote:
    Send it to TCN then?
    You know, Ruu is actually a nice, approachable and level-headed guy. It is YOUR FAULT that the thread got dumped. He had to follow through on his ultimatum.
    Do I think a move the Recycle Bin was right? No. But: a) it wasn't my call , b) I'm not emotionally attached to that thread that was in AH. You are. So (radical idea, bear with me on this one), why don't you PM Ruu - apologise (Once you realise it was YOUR FAULT), discuss the matter and see whether you can come to an agreement to have it moved to TCN.
    Locking an AH thread for posterity? Pulllease!
    I don't think it should be moved to the Thunderdome because the comments made to date would be taken out of context and it would generally turn nasty - which is not what that thread was about.
    Why prevent spamming and OT posts? Because the anyway-decent posts get lost and idiots take things far too personally and a bitch-fest emerges (Again, ruining the good-nature of the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I also heartily endorse the new AH mods, they are a shining example of modom that others may benefit from emulating

until they go bad that is :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Such righteousness from some posters in here...

It was a good thread, but there were warnings and afair Ruu said it was his last time cleaning it up. Im sure you could start another in TCN maybe? I dont think they have rules there. Its a pity to have been locked in the recycle bin, some of those posts were really classic ah stuff.

And the new ah mods also get a yay from me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

why the binning in fairness? that just takes extra effort over a lock. Makes it seem like the thread was spam or something.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not quite getting what difference it makes that it's in the recycle bin. Don't those posts stay up there permanently too? If not, and Ruu wants me to, I can move it back?

There were some funny posts in it alright, although it was definitely time for some good old lockage.

I admit I might have been a bit hasty shifting it to the bin but I think I was correct in locking it so because no one was paying attention to what I was saying. If you can move it back to AH, thanks hullaballoo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

In a way, its all IvaBigWun's fault. Thanks allot pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm not quite getting what difference it makes that it's in the recycle bin.

It only makes a difference if you're searching by forum I suppose. It just seemed like an unecessary step in the whole thing; locking it would have been sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

whether anything is right or wrong, it was moved to the recycle bin.
    where it should have been moved was the thunderdome. last time i looked at it, people started to get bitchy.

anyway, perhaps if one of the smods can unlock it and move it to the thunderdome, that would be great.

while i understand where ruu is coming from, i think its run its course in ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It certainly started out a great thread but I haven't read it since the spam came in.

I've moved it to TT.

Thanks for the help chaps. I'll be more careful where to move off topic threads in the future. :)

dont worry about it.

my advice, if its a silly thread that people seem to be enjoying, just throw it in the recyle bin, but dont close it.
    people can still post on it if they want.

otherwise, if it doesnt need moving, just leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Only mods can reply in the recycle bin can't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

yep

in that case, we need somewhere to move really crap threads.
    hmm, maybe just TT :)

Advertisement