Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test Coming Up In Finglas

Options
  • 24-08-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Got notification in the post today that my test is going to near the end of Sept in the Finglas centre.

I failed my first test in the Churchtown one and tbh am extremely nervious about the second one.
    I've tried searching but cant find any previous threads about instructors in this area?

Anyone have any recommendations and any comments about this particular route and test cente?, I seem to remember someone yonks ago saying there is no hills in the Finglas route which I find hard to believe.

Any instructor recommendations, route tips welcome!
    Hoping to get a couple of lessons each week between now and then to try hopefully bring my driving up to a standard thats considered passable!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I did my test in Finglas (twice).. the first guy did me mainly for "progress" through busy roundabouts (of which there a lot..particularly the mini-ones) and for speeding (about 65kph in a 60 zone) when I decided it was better to get out ahead of this woman in a Punto who was drifting left towards the back of my car whilst simultaneously indicating into a bus lane??

Anyway, second guy I got a few weeks later was younger and a lot more "sound" and I'd no problems at all.. As so many others here have said, it really does depend on the guy you get on the day I think.

Anyway, the routes and other tips are all available here - note that you have to pay to download it, but I thought it was worth it myself.

Hope this helps and good luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for the tips Kaiser2000 , think I'll go for a spin around those routes tomorrow.
    Did you get lessons in the area before hand, if so who did you use and would you recommend them ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I went through ISM as I decided that I'd do the test in an automatic and at the time they were one of the few that had one to use (I didn't want to use my Mirage initially but did in later lessons - figured it'd make more sense to learn in the car I'd be driving daily in... did the test in it too).

Had 3 different instructors over the course of the lessons. First guy was an older fella, sound but not very helpful in terms of critique. 2nd guy was the opposite.. a bit too critical, but the 3rd guy was a South African fella (Jacob I think it was) who I went to after failing the first test and he was grand, and tbh couldn't see why I'd failed. Anyway, did a couple of hours with him a few days beforehand and then went on to pass so must've done something right :D

Things to watch out for in Finglas:
    - All those annoying mini-roundabouts really put you under pressure when you're trying to do it right with indicating etc - even in an automatic where you don't have to worry about gears.

- Traffic is usually fairly heavy during the day (especially coming in to the village itself) and there (were) roadworks going on up behind the Jamestown Industrial estate.

- Noone indicates properly at those roundabouts.

For the most part though it's mainly through relatively quiet housing estates so you should be ok I'd think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

well if your doing in it the jamestown industrial park test centre in finglas, i would suggest airport driving school as they are based out of the same ind estate. They are very expenisive at about 40 euro I think but worth it in my opinion.

they also do a mock test which is very good and they bring in an another tester who does a test with you exactly the same as the one you do for really . Great for killing the nerves although there mock test is generally very critical but means you dont forget anything in the test and arent very cocky when going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I did my lessons and pre-test for Finglas with Temple school of motoring and passed first time.
    I recommended them to a boardsie a few months ago for his test and he PM'ed me to say he passed.

If you do go with them insist on getting Donald as he's the best by far !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did all my different category tests in Finglas. I love it out there. :rolleyes:

The only real hill that I recall is the right hand turn from the N2 (northbound) up the Old Finglas Road (Violet Hill?). It's quite steep but I can't remember which category of test uses it.

I did truck lessons with Colliers, Tel. 8340329 - they also do cars and are based in Ballygall Road, Finglas.

Good Luck.

I did my lessons and pre-test for Finglas with Temple school of motoring and passed first time.
    I recommended them to a boardsie a few months ago for his test and he PM'ed me to say he passed.

Donald Moxham? I went to Mount Temple and he was doing lessons out of it back then too.. was a good teacher too :D

Going to give Temple School Of Motoring a call on Monday!

Huge thanks for recommending Donald!

Had several lessons with him in the last few weeks since posting here originally.

Had my test today and passed whoohoo!!, got a couple of grade two's on those magic Finglas mini roundabouts, but not complaining, a pass is a pass and the L plates are now in a bin outside the Motor Tax office (went straight there to apply for the full license :))

For anyone who has a test coming up on the Northside in Raheny or Finglas, definately recommend the Temple School of motoring , and ask for Donald!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭smarten31

Congrats on passing!

• Advertisement

smarten31 wrote:
    Congrats on passing!

Thanks! , am over the moon, was totally stressing out beforehand , Donald waited in the test centre and chatted with me until I was called, really helped calm my shattered nerves.

Cheaper insurance coming up too :)

Celebration time tonight (not driving of course!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Congratulations :)

This months' Top Gear magazine gives a mention about the ridiculous number of provisional drivers in Ireland, glad to have one less on the road!

Advertisement