Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city status

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

:D:D:D That's one way of looking at it I guess!! At least KK has a few more inhabitants at least than Pluto...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

So... can we now call Kilkenny a "Dwarf City":D :D:D

might be good for tourism as Americans will be looking for Snowwhite:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote:
    So... can we now call Kilkenny a "Dwarf City":D :D:D

might be good for tourism as Americans will be looking for Snowwhite:D :D

I like it. :D I think you're on to something there Bards! :D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I was thinking more along the lines of all these busybodies from neighbouring counties (presumably out with their telescopes) bickering over classifications.

ecksor wrote:
    I was thinking more along the lines of all these busybodies from neighbouring counties (presumably out with their telescopes) bickering over classifications.

Hey listen boy, one time I made the mistake (our of sheer ignorance of the situation) of saying "Kilkenny town" in a room with a couple of Kilkenny people in it. I can tell you, I wasn't the one bickering over classifications then! :D I was lucky to get out alive. :)

• Advertisement

ecksor wrote:

Miouw!!!!!

the reasons they re-classified Pluto was the fact that there were too many cellestial bodies of similar mass in the solar system to be offically classified as a proper planet.... ring any bells

Well, I'm considering setting up a Pluto forum so I can spend my time hanging around over there bitching instead of worrying about planet Earth. Ring any bells?

ecksor wrote:
    Some parallels to be drawn between the debate and this breaking story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/5282440.stm?ls

don't forget you were the one who drew parallels between this and Pluto... not me

I haven't forgotten. Which of the parallels I've drawn attention to are you having trouble with?

• Advertisement

Lads in all fairness I think this is the least of KK's worries (or Waterford for that matter). We need proper infrastructure and investment much more than we need a name, i.e. city.
    I mean many other 'towns' such as Athlone and Sligo are pushing ahead of KK thanks to constant governement pampering. And don't even mention Galway, it was once a town you know but look at it now.

mfitzy, you may not have been around when this forum was originally set up but we went through a phase of the Waterford regulars dropping in kicking up a right old stink about the name of this forum which didn't cease until I nearly closed the Waterford forum permanently. This story merely reminded me of some of that kerfuffle. I'm not attaching any great weight to the argument itself or to its importance.

well then Stop making new threads on this "City" Topic if ye are all so sick of it

I'll make whatever threads I like. BTW, I just noticed a possible confusion in your other post. I'm drawing parallels between the debate and that story. I'm not debating the status of Pluto or Kilkenny.

ecksor wrote:
    mfitzy, you may not have been around when this forum was originally set up but we went through a phase of the Waterford regulars dropping in kicking up a right old stink about the name of this forum which didn't cease until I nearly closed the Waterford forum permanently. This story merely reminded me of some of that kerfuffle. I'm not attaching any great weight to the argument itself or to its importance.

No, I'm new enough to Boards. The rivalry between KK and Waterford isn't going away anytime soon then I guess.

I wasn't even aware there was a rivalry.

ecksor wrote:

There was a handful of posts in the beginning under a city status thread that some people contributed to. Most of us quickly lost interest and stuck to the newly created, and hard fought for, Waterford board. Personally, I rarely read posts on this board, usually unless I'm following a link.

I don't remember any threat to shut the Waterford board down. I wouldn't put it past you though. You seem to be hinting that Waterford people are obsessed with Kilkenny, but the post counts show that Waterford posters don't post here much...

No point in getting upset over us having a bit of fun with comparisons between Kilkenny and Pluto, Medieval Planet. :D

merlante wrote:
    No point in getting upset over us having a bit of fun with comparisons between Kilkenny and Pluto, Medieval Planet. :D
    :D:D:D BRILLIANT!!!!:D :D:D

merlante wrote:
    There was a handful of posts in the beginning under a city status thread that some people contributed to. Most of us quickly lost interest and stuck to the newly created, and hard fought for, Waterford board.

"hard fought for" ? You responded to some south-east oriented slagging with a lengthy tirade suggesting that boards.ie was involved in some sort of national scandal and was run by petty and small minded men. It's easy to have a hard fight if you turn things into a hard fight.
    Personally, I rarely read posts on this board, usually unless I'm following a link.

Ah, fair enough. Out of interest I'd like to read where this thread was linked from?
    I don't remember any threat to shut the Waterford board down. I wouldn't put it past you though.

Er, cheers!
    You seem to be hinting that Waterford people are obsessed with Kilkenny, but the post counts show that Waterford posters don't post here much...

Which post counts are these?

I'm not getting upset. I'm merely taking the piss out of a different angle of it. The response was for you both to go and do exactly the same thing that reminded me of all that in the first place (although without the extreme lengths that were originally pissing myself and Cloud off it must be said).

A I recall, the process of getting a Waterford City board was not, to say the least, as automatic as the other city boards. I believe this was where my tirade(s) originated. I dare say there's no need to get into that again though!

Who said there was a link in this particular case. ;)

The post counts of the Waterford and Kilkenny boards, the Waterford one is much higher, so most of the people who post there don't post here, or at least not as much. Not very scientific or definitive, but there you go. :)

• Advertisement

soon all ye Cats will be singing hi ho, hi ho it's off to work I go.......:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

These City status thread should be banned. Being discussed to death countless times.

Brian017 wrote:
    These City status thread should be banned. Being discussed to death countless times.

So true, couldn't agree more..

ecksor wrote:

:D:D:D Busy bodies....

Advertisement