Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Micra immobiliser problem

Options
  • 24-08-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone had problems with intermittant starting problems with the current generation Micra? My mother has a 04 Micra which occasionally won't start for 30 mins or so. The immobiliser light flashes continuously while this is going on. Problem is that it won't perform for the garage and they can't find anything in the diagnostics. I'd be interested to know if anyone else had had a similar problem and what the fault turned out to be - does the immobiliser itself need replacing or is it something less obvious? The car hasn't had any electrical extras fitted and the problem is as bad when the spare key is used so I'm guessing that its not the transponder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i had a problem with the ignition on an 04 before, you'd turn the key and nothing would happen, turns out the barrel was faulty. prob different to your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

afaik, if the key is like the older generation nissans the immob chip is in the key, if you have a spare key try it with that for a while and see how ya go.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most likely a problem with the key or the read coil. Best to get a diagnosis carried out. Do as Volvoboy says and use the spare key for a while.

When immobilisers were first fitted to VWs some customers had problems with them for no apparent reason. VW recommended that the key should not kept in the same pocket or handbag as a mobile phone as it was thought that the phone signal was corrupting the coding in the key as the 'chip' is only a magnet with a code - similar to the way a cassette tape works. However, that was back in 1996/1997 (Eircell 088 days) and both immobiliser and mobile phone technology has improved since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Hi,

The engine turns over normally but won't catch. I got her to switch to the spare key but the problem was still there - I had thought that a magnetic supermarket trolley token was causing the problem but its never been near the spare key.

The only good things are that the car is still under warrenty and the problem is getting worse....

Thanks for the responses and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

It could be the chip in the key or the reader in the ignition barrel. One other point is that if the spare key has not been used in a while, it can loose the code. It happened to me, and when the car was started, the car would start, the engine light would flash and the engine would turn off.

If the car is a 1.0l, the engine will flood if you turn it off under load. you should leave the car idle for a couple of sec before turning it off. If you dont, the car will probably flood when restarting (even if left for 24hrs). If happens all the time to my 1.0 micra. The engine light will flash as petrol in the exhaust will damage the cataylic converter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement