Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automatic grinding?????? opinions

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

ok people i played wow for quite a while but work and college got in the way......so now iv more free time im thinking about getting back into(hopefully in time for the expansion)

problem
    all my mates have 2/3 lvl 60 chars and are in all lvl 60 guilds i dont know if im going to have the patience to level myself up to 60 and then(hopefully)level a second char to 60 before the expansion comes out........

so my question what are peoples experience on the programs that automatically grind for you.....as far as i know you find anarea an go around a few times killing everything and then you let the program do it automatically

obviously its cheating to an extent but what you think?????
    (i dont care abou the gold making programs my mates are generous lol)

(mods i dont consider this thread breaking the rules but let me know if it is)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well it doesn't really matter what anyone elses opinion is. Blizzards stance on it is an instant ban if they catch you though. Most of the better programs make that almost impossible if you are anywhere near the pc though. If you are going to do it don't go to sleep or go out while it's running :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

really??????? i didnt know that i asked some of my mates who play and they say it seems to be fine(although they dont do it) and accepted............is it not a bit strong to ban you for having something that is effectively just remembering how you play

i understand about gold farms etc etc but not really about why that would be a big deal for them but fair enough if it is banned its banned

however i dont think i have ever ever seen a gm anywere remotley near me so presumably thatwould be the only way they would cathch you.............

sorry dont want it to turn into a how to break the rule thread just wana know personal opinion on the subject

and i think it dose matter what the players think because if ,like alot of people do, you see it as a different world and take it seriously then blizzard is the goverment and the players the citicens(cant rememebr how to spell it right now) the government makes the laws and the citizens follow them BUT the majority of citicens will break the law at some stage and it is the general society which decides if it is a little bit ok to break that particular law.......eg speeding / smoking some pot etc etc

so is using these programs like doing 45 im a 40 zone or is it like genocide

(cant believe i just made that crap up)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Blizzard ban a lot of accounts so I assume it's a banable offence .
    Just plan your leveling , what quests give a lot of experience what mobs give good experience for your level and you should level quick enough . You don't have to be playing the game that much once the time you are playing you get some good leveling done . You said your friends would help you with money so I assume you can get yourself some decent gear and that will make things even easier .

Question is , is it really worth the experience risking the chance of getting caught ?

Plus the most fun in the game comes before level 60 not when you hit it , so you shouldn't be too eager to catch up with your friends .

ye i think i was just in a rut when i left(lvl45) and its left a bad impression and alot of ppl saw me walk around when i went back and were like dude.......still 45???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

PeakOutput wrote:
    really??????? i didnt know that i asked some of my mates who play and they say it seems to be fine(although they dont do it) and accepted............is it not a bit strong to ban you for having something that is effectively just remembering how you play

i understand about gold farms etc etc but not really about why that would be a big deal for them but fair enough if it is banned its banned

however i dont think i have ever ever seen a gm anywere remotley near me so presumably thatwould be the only way they would cathch you.............

sorry dont want it to turn into a how to break the rule thread just wana know personal opinion on the subject

and i think it dose matter what the players think because if ,like alot of people do, you see it as a different world and take it seriously then blizzard is the goverment and the players the citicens(cant rememebr how to spell it right now) the government makes the laws and the citizens follow them BUT the majority of citicens will break the law at some stage and it is the general society which decides if it is a little bit ok to break that particular law.......eg speeding / smoking some pot etc etc

so is using these programs like doing 45 im a 40 zone or is it like genocide

(cant believe i just made that crap up)

Well the type of behaviour normally associated with "Bots" can be very easily noticed i.e. rapidly rotating on one position until a mob is identified, ressing and immediately attacking mobs etc. Thank-fully I have never used any of these programs so I am unaware of the pros/cons of any of the programs.

I most certainly think it a very bad decision to use a "botter" , I mean it is the ultimate irony (In my opinion anyways) that you pay to play a game and then, you use a program to play it for you.

I understand your situation that you took a break but I still think it unwise.
    Big Ears wrote:
    Question is , is it really worth the experience risking the chance of getting caught ?

Plus the most fun in the game comes before level 60 not when you hit it , so you shouldn't be too eager to catch up with your friends .

I couldn't agree more with the above poster - the only reason I have alts that are level 60 is because I love doing quests, getting to know a class (it's pros/cons) and generally playing the game.

If you really want to know more, check out my server forums, Skullcrusher, and you will really see the flaming and b1tching that goes on because of botters.

Just my $0.02 ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I report 14+ bots a day. They are so easy to spot, its almost no fun. I report them and then I gank them for honor...

It is a complete waste of time, using a bot, though in saying that I have recently taken to grinding up my druid from level 48 to 60 (he's my alt/second character) and it is a severe pain in the hole. Ironically though, more because of the amount of bots, than for any other reason :p

So, I would avoid it as it will likely get you banned or worse, have your account details stolen through the 'bot program' itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Put it this way. If I walked past you and you were doing it. I would quickly kill you a few times. The amount of gold farmers I've killed in the past few weeks is crazy. Fear their mob in to other mobs and watch as a group of them takes out the farmer. Wait for them to come back and repeat. And I know alot of other players who do similar. Botting ruins the game for the rest of a realms population. Whatever the purpose you shouldn't do it. And as it is against the T&C's it wouldn't be worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Have to agree with Ivan, when im bored i go bot farming.. there easy to spot, normaly have crapy gear, no guild, run into walls alot etc.. great fun ganking them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

So.. you're asking for a bot to play the game for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Anytime I see a bot I send a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

cant believe u wanna use a botting program..guys like u ruin the game..now go away and play cs like a good little boy:mad:

GHOST MGG wrote:
    cant believe u wanna use a botting program..guys like u ruin the game..now go away and play cs like a good little boy:mad:

hahahaha iv never played cs.....ever..........and im probably older than you

and if you read the original post youll notice i said i hadnt decided yet as i thought they were dodgy but were told they were kind of excepted so wanted to know more peoples opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

PeakOutput wrote:
    hahahaha iv never played cs.....ever..........and im probably older than you

and if you read the original post youll notice i said i hadnt decided yet as i thought they were dodgy but were told they were kind of excepted so wanted to know more peoples opinions

Please, Please, Please keep us updated on what you decide to do anyways ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think the most important thing you should think about is that leveling from 1-60 is argueably (unargueably imo :)) the best part of the game. Just get into a run of doing quests and you'll see how much fun it is. You'd be missing out on a lot of fun (never mind learning to play your character) if you went down some kind of botting route.

I can understand why people would you use them to grind gold at 60 (though I still think it's retarded) but to actually level up would be silly beyond belief. Why play the game if you don't actually enjoy it enough to play it yourself? It's just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

lvl from 1-60 is great... as long as your m8s are 1-60 as well. Once they start doing end game and ur stuck lvling its no fun.

That said, If you bot, you'll get reported and you'll get your entire account banned...and you'll deserve it. People who bot in any game are cheats and tbh it ruins the whole thing for the rest of us.
    They are there to be invisible till they are needed. Just like fireman arent seen till they are needed. You do something to incur their wrath and they'll be on you in a second....or after their tear break, after dinner at the latest (im sure u can guess that i have the UTMOST respect for gm's :rolleyes: ). The only way they'll catch you is if someone reports you and this is very very likely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

i lvled 3 chars to 60 and 10 to 40+, my main had 7/8 teir 2 b4 I quit(unbotted), I have used a bot, <removed> was its name fairly good bot hardest thing was getting good waypoints I was never caught I did let it go for 24hrs+ I did go afk, slept etc when it was <.>. Never had any problems apart from full bags I lvled a priest from 20-49 then realised I had gotten completely bored of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Thats the point though, isnt it. The whole thing about the game is "oh goody, x is just around the corner, I cant wait" Whether X is a new skill or a new item or a new instance, it doesnt matter. But when you dont have to work to get to X then there is no satisfaction, no enjoyment, its a completely hollow victory and you just wonder why you bothered (or didnt, in this case).

Honestly, I considered getting a bot, it just bugged me how easy the multitudes of bots, made it look. Yes, you can get your account banned, but its not like "Me: Heya, mister GM that guy is a bot. GM: Ok, let me look into it. *30 seconds later* GM: My god! You are right, he is a bot. Bot_GUY: My account has been banned /cry"

They monitor bots for several weeks before doing anything and even then, afaik, its basically a slap on the wrist for the first offence.

thanks for all the info guys iv since been talking to the lads again and they said "ye we dont agree with it either we just wanted to see would you do it.....ha ha ha ha" so that kinda sorts itself out lol...........on another note they also say that 40-50 are the hardest/mostboring levels to get through so maybe ill stick it through(iv jsut started playing eve so well see what happens)
    thanks again,
    mark

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

40-50 is quite slow. Late 50s is slow too, but the end is so close you've got that extra push. Botting is bad, I think everyone else has gone over that. I've reported plenty of botters and farmers, and odds are if you use one someone will report you and you'll get banned too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm against bots, and as much as I would like to join in on the 'don't use bots or you'll get banned' banter, its pointless. Bots always get reported, and nothing ever gets done about them (well, on terenas anyway). So if you decide to use bots, don't worry about getting banned, but you will become bored of the game due to not having any level of satisfaction from levelling your char all by yourself. And you might end up being rubbish playing with your char too

Advertisement