Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FBD`s stupidity

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi, my cousin is trying to insure his car (1.4golf) at the moment. They wont quote him with 2years ncb because he doesnt have a full license. I checked out the Fbd site for him and sure enough it states Provisionals must have a 5yr ncb in order to get a quote. Now, who the fook is going to still be on a provisional with 5yrs ncb. Surely a person still on a provisional after 5yrs driving in their own name would have failed a driving test probably 3 times. I reckon the sort of person with 5yrs Ncb and on a provisional is a greater risk than a lad with 2yrs Ncb waiting on a test date from this farce of an Irish driving test system.

My cousin said he heard before that if you have a relative insured with Fbd they might give yo a quote, anyone know more about this as his/our uncle is insured with Fbd farm/home/cars policies.

Are there any companies that will insure provisionals other than QD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I was just looking round the various sites and at least Tesco (who also like to refuse provisionals it seems) make it appear a little less retarded by requiring a 3yrs Nb for provisionals.

Jaysus, how hard should it be to insure a 1.4Golf aged 21 with 2yrs Ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Tell him to give AXA a try, he might not like the price but he will get insured. Im paying about 3.3k on a 1.4 at 19 with no ncb so he shouldnt have a problem getting a quote from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nuttzy wrote:
    My cousin said he heard before that if you have a relative insured with Fbd they might give yo a quote, anyone know more about this as his/our uncle is insured with Fbd farm/home/cars policies.

Yep, they quoted me with a 1year ncb, only because the folks have a policy with them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

IMHO he should pass his test or get off the road. I know the news tells us that people are waiting over a year for a test but surely anyone can get someone to write a letter on business paper saying they need a licence for a job. Anyone I know who sent such an accompanying letter got a test in a matter of weeks.

And if he has a NCB why doesn't he just stick with his current insurer? Or are we talking 2 years named driving without a claim, which is a different thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

And if he has a NCB why doesn't he just stick with his current insurer? Or are we talking 2 years named driving without a claim, which is a different thing?
    Hes currently with Quinn direct but wanted to change from them this year, his Ncb is 2yrs in his own name.

He done the driving test and failed it and is awaiting another. Could he apply in another different test centre aswell now and send in a work letter, or can you have more than 1 application in the system at once?

Also, i dont want to get into the whole boring provisional versus full license debate, but why should he get off the road, hes obviously safe enough driver with 2yrs ncb(the max ncb he can have for the yrs hes being driving) and hes only driving a 1.4 heavy golf so hardly the makings of a menance on the roads now in fairness. :rolleyes: His test should be in 8wks, and if fails should be able to resit in another 8wks and so on til he passes. A yr between tests is a laugh and a curse upon the youngsters of this rip off farcical country.

Ok, we checked up the waiting times for the test, and Cavan and Monaghan are taking 16 and 13wks respectively as opposed to the 44wks at dundalk where his test is booked for. So, could he send in another application for cavan or monaghan while having already applied to dundalk? I wonder how accurate these waiting times are.

• Advertisement

No. You can only be waiting for one test at a time. I think the published waiting times are if you sent in a normal application and waited until it got from the bottom of the pile to the top. In practice, even people who don't send a letter or stamp their feet are often offered cancellations within a few weeks of applying.

Hopefully your cousin will remain as safe as you say he is, provisional or no. God knows we have enough fully licenced morons on our roads. It's a debate that's been done over and over but I feel the problem in this country is there is no great incentive to pass the test. You can fail it and get back in the car and drive home even though a government appointed tester has said you do not meet the standard required to drive a car safely.
    Hence my first comment. You should not be allowed drive a car until you pass the test that says you are able to drive a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

milltown wrote:
    No. You can only be waiting for one test at a time.

You sure?
    I applied for Galway, Birr and Nenagh all at the same time.
    I got test dates for Galway and Nenagh and luckily passed the Galway one before I had to do the others

I stand corrected.

Maybe it's people like you who are clogging up the system :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

milltown wrote:
    I stand corrected.

Maybe it's people like you who are clogging up the system :D
    Imagine what it woul dbe like if all the people on provo licenses actually got off their collective ass and applied. Much worse.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Well, my mam has been driving for the past 19 years and actually only got her full licence 3 years ago...so it is possible! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Try www.brittoninsurance.com
    They quoted me 1212 euro for my 1.3L Starlet and Im a first provisional NCB learner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In fairness, if the guy has so far proven incapable of passing the driving test then I can completely understand why FBD don't want to insure him.

Advertisement