Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog restriction

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:35pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a bit of an issue with my dog. We live in the country and have always had dogs. Our last one never ventured out onto the road but on one occasion that he did he was killed, he was 8 years old so we had long stopped supervising him about the grounds.

We got a new dog about 8 months ago and he is less than bright but is lovable all the same. He is developing a habbit of running along with the car as it goes along the avenue and jumps the cattle grid at the top of the road and out onto the road. He was hit by a car about a month ago and despite destroying the front of the car he survived with only cuts and bruises.

There is only one method of him getting onto the main road as he only ventures that far when a car is driving along it. We have tried putting him on a chain when cars are leaving but he is starting to catch onto this and we cannot expect people to wait until we catch the dog to leave.

I also don't want to fence him in or leave him tied up all the time as thats just not fair. I'm looking for some sort of system that will restrict where he travels.
    something along the lines of if he travels too far from the house it emmits an annoying noise or if he gets to far up the avenue the noise gets stronger and will deter him. Its for his own good so any suggestions recommended.

Oh, I no longer live at home its only my parents that why this is a bigger issue.

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

i do not understand the mentality of people thinking keeping a dog in a properly built run is " unfair "
    Is it more unfair than seeing your 8 year old dog splattered on the road.
    He's already caused damage to someones car and you are liable for any damage caused - also please bear in mind other people's safety.
    My brother was seriously injured a few years ago by a loose dog that ran out in front of him - :mad: His bike also wrecked and it's happened to my father on more than one occasion that his life has been put at risk by a roaming dog.

It is against the law under the control of dogs act 1986 to allow your dog to wander - he can be picked up by the local warden and pts if you don't get there in time - 5 days by law.

Please look into having a decent sized run built for the dog - I do not beleive that would be in the slighest bit unfair on the dog if he is taken out for exercise and brought in in the evenings with the family.

As it is he runs the risk of being killed - being shot by a farmer or being abused by kids.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Even though your reply was totaly useless to me and to be honest half expected I will reply. The dog is homed on a farm in the country side and has 40 odd acers as an imidiate back yard where he plays with lots of other pets. I do believe putting him in a run would be bad for the dog as other pets are allowed to freely road the place and it would be unfair to seperate him off.

I don't appricate you refering to having my 8 year old dog splatted on the road as unfair, it makes me look like i'm cruel to animals, I loved that dog and he was one of my best friends, I was gutted and still am about what happened. I understand the dangers that dogs on roads posess, out dirve way is about 150 yeards long and the house grounds are fenced with a cattle grid at the end. No other animals or dogs we had ventured over this but this dog is bigger than any other dog we had.

I am just looking for a training aid to deter him from traveling up the avenue, not a lecture.

Is he neutered Tom ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Not yet, We plan on getting that soon, but then vet thinks its too soon after his accident to do so. Stress and all that has a big effect on the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Have you looked into getting a radio fence system? I haven't used one myself but have heard it helps control roaming/running off. It would only be him it affected not your other pets and he could still run round and play freely.

Perhaps he needs a fright next time he jumps the cattle grid, could you stage it so someone hid and jumped out at him and made a big noise, when he ran past? Sounds daft but they do remember things and it might make him think twice. He probably doesn't remember his accident or associate it with what he did as he was probably shocked.

Too many people don't care that their dogs are out of control, at least you do care and are trying to do something about it. The town where I live has a dog who belongs to someone but is let loose every day to run in and out of traffic, crap in the kids play area and wander into Supervalu when he feels like it.

My 2 dogs have never run in the road (thankfully) but are not fenced in, I rely on being outside when they are (they are house dogs) and them obeying me :rolleyes: They are quite obediant luckily. Food treats and short training sessions for my puppy seem to have worked.

I appreciate that people get injured because of dogs running loose, I have had loads chasing alongside my car on my travels. I have pet insurance on my 2 which also covers 3rd party liability for peace of mind.

Sorry that your dog was killed, must have been awful.

• Advertisement

Also I wasn't trying to imply you are cruel to your pets at all - I was merely trying to point out that what happened to your 8 year old may happen to this young fella - I was trying to say that for his own sake the idea of the run maybe be in the dogs best interests in the long run.
    It was unfair on both you and the dog for his life to be cut short by being allowed to roam - i am trying the point out to others the dangers of it .

For the record may dogs are found wandering with those fence collar things on so I do not think they are 100% reliable.

The reason I mentioned neutering is if he is an entire male he may be wandering off too if there are bitches in season in the area.
    As well as preventing more unwanted puppies :mad: it may also prevent him from having the urge to roam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you can't fence in the dog, then fence in the driveway!

simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Tom,

Get a radio fence, install it, and train the dog according to the enclosed instructions. It will take about 20 minutes training per day for 3 weeks for the dog to know its boundary.
    If you dont follow the training steps exactly, then the radio fence is useless.
    The fence is very effective, if the correct training has been given.

Also, if you do go down this road, test the radio collar every 6/8 weeks, to make sure the battery is still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Hey Tom, I heard the radio fence wasn't very good especially for the smarter breeds of dog like collies that can override it by running through. I had a similar dilemma - one dog scared the bejesus of a couple of cyclists by running along the inside of the front wall barking mad at them!
    In the end I paid 500E to put a fence on either side of the house and around half of the garden to keep them away from the front garden. I think you're a very responsible owner since you're posting here for advice so don't mind any not-so-nice posts.
    Like myself, if you have smart dogs try either putting a perimeter up so they can't get out near the road (I've no idea what you're garden is like or sheep fencing with a gate. It's daunting but some kind of fencing might be the only option. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Hi Tom,
    Surely the most obvious issue here is that his escape point is the end of the drive at the cattle-grid?
    A simple gate or some other way of securing the entrance and exit to or from your property should surely work?

I have to say though, I am of the firm belief that a dog should never be out of sight and control of its owner, rural or city. There are too many dangers involved. And if that means confining it to a decent sized (but controlable) area, so be it.
    letting a dog roam over 40 acres in my opinion, is a recipe for disaster.

b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

The only thing is the radio fence with the collar, works well for most of the time with my friends dog, however she did seem to notice when the battery died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's against the control of dogs act to let your dog wander, besides it's irresposible to allow an unneutered dog roam, they can get into fights, cause a nuisance to neighbours, get other dogs pregnant which = unwanted litters, and also cause road traffic accidents and if the drive is injured or the car damaged it's you that is liable not the dog. So get a radio fence system for such a large area, the dog does not need 40 acres to be happy. Or an alternative is get FRS (Farm relief services) or a similar fencing company to fence off a large area eg an acre of ground for him. If he is not your dog talk to the dogs owners and explain to them the dangers of letting a dog wander so freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm absolutly scared sh1tless of dogs, and I'm not alone, many people are the same. People who have dogs, love dogs, but they could be a bit more considerate about people who don't. I might love boa constrictors, but I wouldn't let one loose. A dog can cause serious damage. Try to imagine your worst fear roaming free, on the streets or roads. Where I live there is rarely a loose dog, but if I leave my house to walk anywhere its on my mind. Then when I do occaisonally meet one, it take me hours to get over the panic.
    Your wondering how to stop your dog going through the gate.
    Fence your dog in. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

My sister fell off a horse and broke her shoulder when some dogs ran out of a house and chased the horse.

Advertisement