Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get a place?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

I suppose I'll lump this question in here, just exactly how hard is it to get a place in college as a mature student, if you've three or four years experience(and a FETAC award) in the field you want to study in how much would that improve your chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moving this to its own thread so that each query gets the appropriate attention.

Generally speaking, during an interview / assessment by the faculty board - they're really looking for a number of things; primarily that you have demonstrated an interest in the subject matter. Therefore, I would imagine that your experience and award would stand for you. However, there's the complication of available places, competition from others, etc. Could you provide more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Right, it's a bit off(by that I mean when I can apply) but I'm a Care Assistant and I'll be starting a FETAC course as part of the training, I plan to do this at least until I can apply for something like nursing(or preferably medicine) as a mature student which for me since my birthday is in March means having to wait until I'm 24 by which time I'll have been in the job for a little less tahn four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You should finish the FETAC before applying as this will increase your chances. As Karoma said, you have to be able to show an interest and the fact that you would already have something can only help.

Advertisement