Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get to?

Options
  • 24-08-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

aka show me the way to the Lane...

White Hart Lane is one of the easiest grounds in the Premier League to get to for fans travelling from Ireland, but for the uninitiated it can still be a touch difficult to arrange a visit. Thats why this thread has been posted, to make it easy for you the Spurs fan to put a trip together to the Lane.

White Hart Lane is situated on Tottenham High Road in London's N17, within Haringey Council. Distances mean little when it comes to London travel, but as you can see from this map, the ground is a good distance north of central London. That means once you arrive at your destination airport, you're going to have to utilise some form of public transport to get to the ground.

First things first though, lets get you from Ireland to London...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The nearest airport to WHL as the crow flies is London City airport. Unfortunately, the airport is not particularly well served, with only direct flights from Dublin with Cityjet, and a reduced weekend service. Prices are steep, with taxes and charges alone for a return flight coming in at over €75. In addition, getting to WHL from LCY using public transport would involve a number of mode changes, and is not recommended.

That leaves four major airports in the London area serviced by airlines flying from Ireland.

Stansted

BAA Stansted Airport

Stansted Airport is the best situated for travel to and from WHL. The airport is roughly 40 miles north of London, but connected to the city by an express rail service serving Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street. I'll deal with public transport links later, but Tottenham Hale is a 25 minute walk from WHL and is served by 4 trains per hour. Airlines, and the routes they serve into STN are:

Air Berlin Belfast City
    Easyjet Belfast Int
    Ryanair Cork, Derry, Dublin, Kerry, Knock, Shannon.

Heathrow

BAA Heathrow Airport

Heathrow is west of London but of the four airports is the only one with a tube connection. Expect a long journey from LHR to the Lane if you choose the airport, either by tube or by Heathrow Express (15 minute express into Paddington Station), but the overall cost can work in your favour (flight plus day pass on London transport), and if you're staying in London after the game is as good a choice as any. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Aer Lingus Cork, Dublin, Shannon
    BMI Belfast City, Dublin

Gatwick

BAA Gatwick Airport

Gatwick is about 30 miles south of London and served by an express train service to Victoria Station (30 minute journey time) in addition to regular NR services to King's Cross and elsewhere. Probably not the most conveniant airport to fly into, but can provide a cheaper alternative to the others at times. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Fly Be Belfast City
    Easyjet Belfast Int
    Aer Lingus Dublin
    Ryanair Cork, Dublin, Shannon
    British Airways Dublin

Luton Airport

Luton Airport

30 miles north of London, but because of transport links you'll need to travel into the city before heading north again to WHL. Served by a shuttle bus to Luton Parkway station where the train leaves for King's Cross, taking 35 minutes to reach the city. Like Gatwick, not ideally situated but sometimes a good alternative in terms of cost. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Aer Arann Galway, Waterford
    EasyjetBelfast Int
    Ryanair Dublin, Knock

So you've made it across the water, now how do you get to N17?

Spurs isn't particularly well served by public transport (other than by bus), the nearest tube stations (Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale are a good 20 minute walk away), though there are two mainline stations nearby, White Hart Lane about 5 minutes walk from the ground and Northumberland Park, about 10 minutes walk down Park Lane from the ground. Both stations are serviced by One Railway from Liverpool Street. Both Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale are also served by mainline rail services.

Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters is the most famous transport link to WHL, and the majority of fans travelling to the ground by train tend to use it. It is on the Victoria Line on London Underground tube map here and is a 20 minute walk from the ground. Exit the station onto the Seven Sisters Road, then onto the High Road and head north, following the crowd until you come to WHL on your right.

Seven Sisters is also a mainline rail station, and travellers can jump on the Cheshunt/Enfield Town service to White Hart Lane station which is two stops away. These trains tend to be packed on reaching Seven Sisters as kick-off approachs though. There are also ample busses along the High Road northbound towards the ground.

Tottenham Hale

Another tube/mainline station, travellers from Stansted Airport are advised to travel through here as it is a Stansted Express stop. Another 20 minute walk to the ground, this time via Hale Rd and Monument Way, turning right on to the High Road at Tottenham High Cross to join the Seven Sisters crowd. Check the map here

You can cut a few minutes off by nipping through the residential areas between the station and the ground, though unless you know where you're going you're better off staying on the main roads. An alternative would be a taxi from the rank outside the station, costing no more than £10 to the barriers on Park Lane.

For travellers looking to catch the tube back into London after a game, Hale can be a crafty choice. Its on the Victoria Line like Seven Sisters, but southbound tubes stop at Hale first so you're guaranteed a seat...:D

White Hart Lane

The closest to the ground, and only served by mainline rail from Liverpool Street and onwards to Cheshunt/Enfield Town, a great option for travelling from central London to a game, but not an option if you want to get away after a game due to the queues. A five minute walk from the station to the ground, just off the High Road. Come out of the station, turn right and walk down White Hart Lane. When you come to the traffic lights you will be at the junction with the High Road. Turn right and walk 500m to the ground which is on your left.

Northumberland Park

Served by One Railway from Liverpool Street, you can also jump on a northbound train at Tottenham Hale as Northumberland Park is next stop. Not all mainline services stop there though, so be careful. Its a ten minutes walk to the ground. Located East of the stadium, come out of the station and turn left. You will be next to "The Park" pub, walk beyond this and cross Willoughby Lane / Shelbourne Road to come out on Park Lane. Go straight on along Park Lane for about half a mile and you will find the ground appears on your right.

Summary

If you're coming from Stansted, get off at Tottenham Hale and either get a taxi or walk to the ground. I'd advise the walk, because you'll need to know you're way back to the station for after the game.

If you're coming from central London (basically any of the other three airports) your best bet is to get to Liverpool Street for the mainline to White Hart Lane, or if time's a problem get the tube to Seven Sisters to meet the mainline train, get a bus, or walk down.

Some important links:

Transport For London website Has a great journey planner linking trains/tube/bus services. Also useful for ticket pricing etc. Essential site TBH.
    One Railway For timetable info.
    Stansted Express
    TFL tube map

OK, there's probably loads more I could put up now but my brain is fried. Threads open for anyone else to post advice, I'll get back to it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

heathrow is probably easiest.
    all you need to do is hope on the tube at heathrow, , i think its the picadilly line, and go all the way past the arsenal to finsbury park, where you can hop onto the victoria line for one stop.

of course, if anyone is coming over to see a game, i will insist that you make a stop in london to drink beer afterwards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Gatwick

BAA Gatwick Airport

Gatwick is about 30 miles south of London and served by an express train service to Victoria Station (30 minute journey time) in addition to regular NR services to King's Cross and elsewhere. Probably not the most conveniant airport to fly into, but can provide a cheaper alternative to the others at times. Airlines, and the routes they serve are:

Fly Be Belfast City
    Easyjet Belfast Int, Cork, Knock,
    Ryanair Cork, Dublin, Knock
    British Airways Dublin

Easyjet Cork to London Gatwick service is closing at the end of October.

• Advertisement

yiddo wrote:
    Easyjet Cork to London Gatwick service is closing at the end of October.

Cheers for the reminder Pat. think they're pulling out of Ireland altogether.

Will update soon.
    heathrow is probably easiest.
    all you need to do is hope on the tube at heathrow, , i think its the picadilly line, and go all the way past the arsenal to finsbury park, where you can hop onto the victoria line for one stop.

of course, if anyone is coming over to see a game, i will insist that you make a stop in london to drink beer afterwards

If you're staying in London then LHR makes sense, but for day trips Stansted can't be beaten.

I'm over the 1st October for the Pompey game, you free?

Now, I think we've covered WHL pretty comprehensively, but what about away ties?

If I were to do a complete list of PL grounds I doubt the boards servers would cope, so here is the best resource on the net for planning trips to grounds in the top 4 leagues in England:

Internet Football Grounds Guide

That site has it all, where the ground is situated, how to get there by bus/train/car and often plane, where to drink, what the ground is like, what sort of trouble you can expect. I can't top it, so I'm not even going to try...:D

There's plenty of expertise on this board, so if you need advice ask!

Some more stuff here on the pubs in the White Hart Lane area from Topspurs site http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-visit2whl.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Went to Fulham game 2 weeks back. Cork to Gatwick on Sunday - reduced public transport. Used tube to Seven Sisters and got bus to ground outside station. Going back got mainline from WHL - pacled but thins out after Seven Sisters. Total travle cost in london £10 - can't beat that for value.

Going to Chelsea in November - anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Simple Pieman

Just to add to the directions information from Stansted Airport. On arrival at Tottenham Hale there is the option of catching a train one stop back towards Stansted to Northumberland Park. Additional services stop there on match days and Northumberland Park is not much more than 5 minutes walk from the stadium.

• Advertisement

Was over yesterday for pompey game. A daytrip in and out via Stansted. On the Stansted Express website they quote the day return fare as £16.00. However as we had a group of 4 the kind lady at the ticket office gave us a group fare of £10.25 each to Tottenham Hale which also included a travel card for bus/tube. They don't appear to advertise this and only for she saying it we'd have paid £16 each.

yiddo wrote:
    Was over yesterday for pompey game. A daytrip in and out via Stansted. On the Stansted Express website they quote the day return fare as £16.00. However as we had a group of 4 the kind lady at the ticket office gave us a group fare of £10.25 each to Tottenham Hale which also included a travel card for bus/tube. They don't appear to advertise this and only for she saying it we'd have paid £16 each.

Top shout Pat, could be very useful.

You get delayed on the way home? My 10.05 out of Heathrow left at 12.05...:(

Bloody thunderstorms...

Delayed bout half hour. Due in at 23.30 but didn't get in til nearly midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bell & Hare Yid

yiddo wrote:
    Delayed bout half hour. Due in at 23.30 but didn't get in til nearly midnight.

Was at the same game, flight from Heathrow to Cork that night was delayed by about an hour and a half, didn't get home until nearly 2am, then up for work the following morning. :mad:

Still, at least we got the points.....

Anybody who uses London transport much (tube, bus etc) when they're over should think about picking up an Oyster Card. Limited use on National Rail services, but it will save you a few quid on bus and tube fares.

Have a read

From late October, Aer Lingus look like they'll be operating a 4 times a aday to London Gatwick.

Handy for away ties @ Chelsea and Fulham (too late for this year's game at Craven Cottage though)

Lots of planned track closure on Victoria line for the next few months which will mean no tube service or reduced service and as a result way more pressure on the overground line to WHL.
    Click onhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/track-closures.pdf
    for the full list.

Here's the ones I spotted but there could be more with games moving due to UEFA etc.
    Evening games til 23rd November
    Mon 23 Jul 07 Fri 23 Nov 07 Victoria Victoria line closed from 23:00 Monday to Thursday

Derby home
    Sat 18 Aug 07 Sun 19 Aug 07 Victoria No service Walthamstow Central to Brixton

Fulham home
    Tue 25 Dec 07 Wed 26 Dec 07 Victoria no service Walthamstow Central to Brixton

Keep an eye on http://www.tfl.gov.uk for up to date info.

Quote:
    Mon 23 Jul 07 Fri 23 Nov 07 Victoria Victoria line closed from 23:00 Monday to Thursday

This early closing has been suspended for tonight and also for 1st October Villa home game. Looks like normal service for all night games.

Keep an eye on http://www.tfl.gov.uk for up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

last game we went to we flew into stansted but checked train before we got there and it wasn't running so we hired a car was very cheap and easy to get to.we parked in tottenham hale car park to miss the traffic coming out,so another option

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Nice post...Thank you very much!!......smileyhappy.ico

This thread is over 4 years old.............how the hell did you find it lol!!!!!

• Advertisement

The thread also needs an update which I'll take care of in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭donspur

dont forget to add the number 1 place to eat in tottenham, the chic king, it has to added in your trip to spurs;)

Ronan please update it before I head over for the villa game. My first time going to a spurs game and haven't a clue where to go our how to go there (but have been checking out the stickies). Maybe some lads could make a list of good pubs, restaraunts, b+bs, hotels etc.

kakee wrote: »
    Ronan please update it before I head over for the villa game. My first time going to a spurs game and haven't a clue where to go our how to go there (but have been checking out the stickies). Maybe some lads could make a list of good pubs, restaraunts, b+bs, hotels etc.

I'm gonna assume you've booked your flights already so the info here will still be valid on that front.

If you're staying over that weekend start a separate thread and I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions.

Don't forget there's load going that day so there's a good chance you could hook up with us en-route.

I'm gonna assume you've booked your flights already so the info here will still be valid on that front.

Yeah we are flying for cork to stansted ariving at 9.30 on the saturday and dont fly back to cork till monday morning so have all saturday night and all sunday to kill

Advertisement