Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It's official ...I'm old !

Options
  • 24-08-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Finally got the insurance quote I always thought I deserved (accident free for 16 years): 435 Euro fully comp incl. breakdown assist

Still a bit dear for a puny 1.3 Jimny ...but I won't complain too much. Last years premium was 560, the year before 6hundredsomething

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That still sounds very dear, and what part of the country are you living in? fully comp or tp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fully comp, Sligo ...and I'm 39 a
    (the jimny being a 4x4 somehow attracts a slightly larger premium)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

my Aunt is 39 and got her insurance from AXA for 550 on a 1.9 04 Galaxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am 32 full licence 9 years 5 years NCB micra 1.0 €300 TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It'll be official next year. You're not that old yet. Ask Mike what it feels like to be really old :)

But seriously, the significant drop in your quote can't really be explained by anything. Did you get a quote from all insurers and brokers both last year and this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My mother is 50 and is paying €375 on a 2l rover 620. My dad drives the same car, although his is a 2l accord, same year. and his is €450 odd. €435 seems dear for a 1.3 at your age. I'm 25 and am getting quotes at the min for my next renewal.

On a 00 1.2 clio that I'm using for work I get quotes of €560. That'll be with 4 years ncd. Up to when I switched the other day I was paying €875 on a 2.5l safrane with 3 years ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

OP, did you shop around?

Try www.123.ie They give very good online motor quotes.

Also, try bestquote.ie and quinndirect, if you do a search on google for them it will come up.

I'm sure at your level of experience you can get cheaper. Good luck.

I did shop around, always have every year. In the end I end up staying with my broker.

I've gotten insurance quotes for other cars as well over the last few months (normal cars, nothing fancy) ranging between 1.5 liter petrol and 2 litre diesel. All quotes where within 50 or so Euro of my (then) existing policy.

The latest quote is from an insurance company (through the broker) called St. Pauls travellers.

Anyone ever heard of it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

peasant wrote:
    ...The latest quote is from an insurance company (through the broker) called St. Pauls travellers.

Anyone ever heard of it?

Yup, their offices are on Harcourt St opposite the Odean Pub in Dublin.

Never heard of them doing car insurance though, thought they only did pensions, life assurance and business insurance policies.

My ins is €640 on a 97 Mondeo, 1.6, however I'm claims free the last 7 years and its still dropping.. but I'm not sure how exactly some insurance companies come to the prices they do and I'm sure a broker is adding a nice few quid on top of it for himself.

Have you gone directly to the company involved to get a quote from them and by passed your broker?

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Have you gone directly to the company involved to get a quote from them and by passed your broker?

Tox

not with that company ...never heard of them before.

my broker creams off 40 quid ..but so far every year his quotes including fee always worked out cheaper than the cheapest outside quote that i got ...plus there is the added convenience of not having to run around to get the paperwork done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

My old heap of ****e (87 diesel golf) €282 ttft with Hibernan, the missus has her 00 Scenic fully comp for €410. We are both named drivers on each others policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    The latest quote is from an insurance company (through the broker) called St. Pauls travellers.

Anyone ever heard of it?

Yep. For a long time they were best known as a last resort to get a quote for people with endorsements, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

unkel wrote:
    It'll be official next year. You're not that old yet. Ask Mike what it feels like to be really old :)

/me waves stick! :p And you can talk. Grrrrrrrrrr! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

It sounds like a lot to me.. I'm 26 and pay slightly more than that third party with a named driver on a 1.8 scirocco. I think fully comp would have been 560.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

I drive a new octavia vrs (200bhp) and only have a full license 3 years with
    4 years ncb and i pay 900 euro fully comp with axa. Im 28 so in context some of the above figures seem very high.

Advertisement