Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of rushes

• 24-08-2006 10:21pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Just wondering if there is a good way of getting rid of rushes? Our rear yard/garden has clusters I'd like to get rid of. The ground is rather moist, so obvoiusly, this poor ground must be a primary cause. But would the likes of standard fare weedkiller get rid of these?

They're an eyesore as a week after being mowed, they are already a few inches long!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Byte,

Rushes = swamp.:D

You should look at draining the garden first as they can't grow unless there is an abundance of water.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah well. Garden isn't mine so I suppose not really my problem anyway, but I'm fed up looking at them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

My dad always said they only grew on land that was short of Lime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

smashey wrote:
    Byte,

Rushes = swamp.:D

You should look at draining the garden first as they can't grow unless there is an abundance of water.

Not exactly true. They do prefer wetter land but will grow in any clay based soil where the pH is low, i.e. deficient in lime.

To get rid, spray with "mortone" available from agristores. Should weaken the rushes but in my experience will take a number of successive applications to kill them. It shouldnt kill the surrounding grass though it will stunt it a little.

You could try spot spraying with "Round up" if you haven't got too much rushes and they're not spread all over the place.

You should lime the ground and if necessary try and improve the drainage.

Hope this helps.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

chemicals = posion and dangerous to use. If you choose chemicals cover up use mask, gloves and wash clothes after application...
    I hatttte chemicals:( ........
    The Alternative I would recomend is to dig up the rushes remove all the roots. To stop them returning you must stop the waterlogging a good way to do this is to dig long narrow drains (about 6" wide or more x 2-3 feet deep) across the wet areas and fill same with chips or maintenance (to create drainage) and add few inches of soil on top finally reseed these patches. This should do the trick and is fairly straightforward unless the rushes are covering a large area....

only use chemicals if you have to!!!;)

• Advertisement
    byte

Thanks for the advice folks.

I think digging them up will be too much hassle though improving drainage might be a good idea. THe middle of the garden does get water logged in winter (that's a long time in this country!) though oddly the rushes are mostly on the outermost parts of the garden.

So basically, from what I can gather I need to Kill, Drain, and Lime! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rushes

I think if you keep cutting them & then the land is farmed they will be less & less but if left uncut they will take over, I have see very bad land turn good when rushes are cut a few times a year.
    Hope this helps.

byte

Heh, browsing DIY to see this thread regurgitated! I no longer live at that house anymore, or indeed for the past 4 years!

However, at my current and now permanent abode, there are a couple of rushes which would like to run riot in the back garden given half a chance. So, I'll take your advice rushes, and mow regularly...ish.

Funny, the current garden seems to have an issue with what seems like heather growing in tufts in parts. Never here until after the last hard winter.

Advertisement