Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second year & electives

Options
  • 24-08-2006 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm a bit confused about picking my modules... im starting second year arts and wondering if you choose to do joint majors, do you still have an elective?? as in an elective that you can choose from anywhere... i know there are different optional modules within each Major subject, but if you enrol to do them as a major do you have to pick your option from that subject or can it be from a completely different subject area?

ok if anyone can follow that i'd be very greatful for any ideas as to the answer!! I can't find the answer on the Horizons website ...surprise surprise!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

according to this, second year arts students with joint majors can still have two electives from anywhere in the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've been really confused about the elective situation for a while now but it's actually pretty straightforward enough.

If you choose to study 2 Joint Majors for Stage 2, they will make up 50 of 60 credits (2 x 25 credits to be chosen). With regards to your remaining 2 electives of 5 credits each, you can choose modules from any other Stage 2 subject or faculty, if you're in 2nd Arts you can choose electives from other faculties whether you have studied the subject in 1st year or not, pretty much complete freedom regarding elective choice but as usual places will be limited and there is always the possibilitiy of timetable restrictions. Also, you can use your electives in your joint majors too. You're allowed to take a maximum of 6 modules from each subject so you can simply study 30 credits of one subject and 30 credits of the other subject if you want to just like pre-modularisation.

Advertisement