Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor upgrade?

• 24-08-2006 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I hope this is the right forum. Hardly a mod but I am hoping you peoples can help me.

I have a Dell XPS Gen4 and the processor is:
    3.4GHz
    FC LGA775
    3400Mhz/ 4 x 200Mhz
    P4P-T/J (Prescott) Pentium 4E 90nm 2.8-3.8GHz 1.25-1.4V
    (Thank you Sissoft!)
    I think its a 64Bit? HT Technology.

I was wondering what I could upgrade too? I have to say I have been following these new Dual 2 core stuff for a few day and I was wondering if my mobo could take one? I doubt it for some reason but I was wondering what was the best chip it could take? Maybe a D processor?
    My mobo can support a fater chip (So says SandraProHome) The MOBO is Dell 0U7084

I ran that IntelChipset thing and it says 925X Express Chipset Family

The PC has two Gig of RAM and a X850XT PE so I thought a chip upgrade would be a nice treat rather than a whole new PC.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

To get a Core 2 Duo you would need a new motherboard and case since Dell make their own stuff.
    It seems your motherboard doesn't support any of the D series at all.
    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/925x/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Instead of upgrading your processor why not upgrade your video card. You would c a bigger improvment while playing games if you were to do that.

Is that video card AGP or PCI-E to lazy to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

if its a gen 4 i think its agp, i am also to lazy to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: No, its pci-e. I had that same machine. Mobo should be Dell OU7084. No upgrade for that i'm afraid, only more ram & gpu.

Edit: didn't read 1st post fully. I'm right same mobo. No need for any more ram, 2gb is plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

seems we are all rather lazy this fine friday evening

*raises beer can*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you have an X850Xt then a graphics card upgrade would make far far far more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 slightly lost

Just posting to say thanks for the replies. I looked into it myself while using the info posted here and I am stuck with my current processor. Not unless those Extreme chips that suit my board fall in price :)

As for upgrading the GFX card I feel it is still a good card but I have realised I am a nvidia fan boy now. This was my first ati card (was nvidia since the 256) and I just found the nvidia drivers etc much easier to handle though I am not so sure about their new interface!

Once again thanks for the help. Never really read this board before but even as a non modder it's a fine and very interesting read. I think some day I will have to do the whole self build thing. :) Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It's 210 euro for a X1900GT and 300 euro for X1900XT from overclockers uk at the moment.

Hell, i *HATE* ATI's drivers, but I can't turn that down when a 7900gt is the same price as a card that rapes it.

Advertisement