Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You won't be single for long Vodka Cream Pasta

• 24-08-2006 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

As seen on oprah (mother was watching, I just like pointing out inadequacies).

Now maybe I'm making a serious oversight but why in the hell are you spending the guts of 10 euro on vodka for this recipe?! For pasta no less..! According to your one on the show you're boiling it down to "concentrate its [vodka's] flavour". Vodka is, for all intents and purposes, pure alcohol and pure water. The only reason I can think of how the vod would make a difference is that the boiling temperature would be stable at about 80C for a couple minutes while the 90 odd ml of alcohol is boiled off. After that it'd shoot up to 100C again. I can't see this making much of a difference though.

Any thoughts?
    Do any of you use vodka in your recipies? What's the advantage? I can't see it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

vodka and pasta is just not right,experimentation gone badly wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've had vodka cream pasta a few times in restaurants and it can be very very tasty.

Dunno would I spend all the money on it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

ApeXaviour wrote:
    As seen on oprah

Do any of you use vodka in your recipies? What's the advantage? I can't see it...

Why don't you try it and see? It's quite yummy. We cook it at home every now and again. Great with garlic bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Vodka/cream/pasta forms the basis of a classic italian dish actually. Can't remember the name of it lff the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Celticfire wrote:
    Why don't you try it and see? It's quite yummy. We cook it at home every now and again. Great with garlic bread.
    I have. D'mother made it. Yes it was quite tasty. But my point is if you substituted the vod for tap-water (something which is free) it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference!

• Advertisement

I love tequila chicken (you get it in Luigi Malones)..

Suppose it couldn't be that much different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I love tequila chicken (you get it in Luigi Malones)..

Suppose it couldn't be that much different
    Tequila is distilled differently such that it maintains much of the flavour of the original corn wash. Similar with whiskey/scotch and their barley (beer) wash, rum and its molasses wash etc. So if you boil them down you are actually concentrating the flavour. This is the basis for cooking with wine also. But vodka is distilled in such a way as to refine and purify it to just alcohol (ethanol) and water. So technically you could make vodka from any type of wash: beer/wine/molasses/potato etc. I think the russians use a wheat based wash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Taken from chef talk forum
    Are you making penne ala vodka? The idea that vodka has no flavor isn't really right. Yes, it is a "neutral spirit" but it does have flavor. To find out the difference, try making two small batches of your recipe using water in one and vodka in the other. You'll see what I mean. Don't forget to carefully burn off the alcohol. You don't want booze in your food. ps. I don't like to cook with vodka. I don't like the flavor. But hey, that's me. Enjoy.
    It's not only that the vodka has flavor, but the alcohol in the vodka does something else. It unleashes flavor compounds that dissolve in alcohol. In the side x side taste test, I think you'll notice because in the absense of alcohol, you don't get that "can't put your finger on it" flavor.

Advertisement