Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Arabic plates/foreign plates in Ireland

Options
  • 24-08-2006 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Spotted a car driving in Dublin this morning with Arabic Plates, I can only imagine how another motorist would take note of the plates if it was in an accident. Would be very handy for the speed cameras though :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Interesting!
    .....most likely it was a diplomats car.

I used to own a Qatari 'Export' number plate.
    It came to Ireland on an imported Qatari 1980 Rolls Royce. The reg plate had a central dividing line with arabic on top and regular numbers on the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Interesting!
    .....most likely it was a diplomats car

I've seen a few cars with Arabic plates before in this country, and the cars that the plates were on didn't look like diplomatic cars. One of the cars was an old Corolla, and another was a Mitsi Colt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I can beat that!
    There is jackass driving a huge 4x4 in Laois with New South Wales plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Bond-007 wrote:
    I can beat that!

LOL its probably cheaper to buy a 4x4 in Australia and pay 1200? to have it shipped here then it is to pay the VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

vector wrote:
    LOL its probably cheaper to buy a 4x4 in Australia and pay 1200? to have it shipped here then it is to pay the VRT
    I have heard of people doing exactly that!

OP when you say arabic plates... do you mean plates from Some arab country?? Or do you mean arabic script on an Irish style plate?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Bond-007 wrote:
    I can beat that!

Is it a silver Mercedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A lot of them appear to be owned by doctors awaiting ZZ plates. You will occasionally see them around the major hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The car I seen was an old Toyota, it was worth less than the cost to get the car here, can't see it being a diplomats, probably just someone wanting to dodge the whole cost of motoring in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

A lot of them appear to be owned by doctors awaiting ZZ plates. You will occasionally see them around the major hospitals.

What are ZZ plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bond-007 wrote:
    I can beat that!

Is that a white LandCruiser? If so, it's been driven around the world.

• Advertisement

$Leon$ wrote:
    What are ZZ plates?

'ZZ' plates are issued by the AA on behalf of the Govt.
    (i.e. 'ZZ' followed by up to six digits, e.g. ZZ 101230. Silver-on-black plates.)

They are Temporary Registrations (valid for 1 month from the date of issue).
    Usually issued to buyers of new cars in Ireland who are bringing it to the UK.

There is a Pajero 4x4 in my area on New South Wales plates. Been around for over 1 year now .......takin the p!** at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Silvera wrote:
    'ZZ' plates are issued by the AA on behalf of the Govt.
    (i.e. 'ZZ' followed by up to six digits, e.g. ZZ 101230. Silver-on-black plates.)

They are Temporary Registrations (valid for 1 month from the date of issue).
    Usually issued to buyers of new cars in Ireland who are bringing it to the UK.

There is a Pajero 4x4 in my area on New South Wales plates. Been around for over 1 year now .......takin the p!** at this stage!
    Must be the same guy. Drives like an arsehole, thinks he owns the road except he is paying nothing towards it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

There is a 5th Generation Ford Taurus and another Ford Focus Saloon both driving around my locality on New Jersey "the garden state" licence plates. The number of American cars here seems to be rising or is it just me? The funniest "out of town" licence I ever seen was a VW Golf with Polish number plates in downtown manhatten last year, It was the last thing I ever expected to see over there and instantly recognised the plates from the thousands of them that are dodging VRT here.

Anan1 wrote:
    Is that a white LandCruiser? If so, it's been driven around the world.

Driven around the world ???
    Really?

Was it an 'around the world' challenge ??

Tell us more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I read an article a while back (with pics) about a white LandCruiser being driven around the world by an Irishman. The reason I remember it is that I saw the same LandCruiser parked outside a pub in Monkstown about a week later. I'm afraid I can't remember any more about it, maybe someone else here does?

Anan1 wrote:
    I read an article a while back (with pics) about a white LandCruiser being driven around the world by an Irishman. The reason I remember it is that I saw the same LandCruiser parked outside a pub in Monkstown about a week later. I'm afraid I can't remember any more about it, maybe someone else here does?

Cool!
    I'd love to do a similar trip in an Irish-reg jeep/car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, when I was heading down to Rosslare last week, I saw a BMW 3-Series with Singapore plates. It was definetly a first.

I've seen quite a number of cars within the past couple of months with American plates, more so than before. I'd understand bringing in cars like Corvettes, Chargers, etc. from the States, but many are normal cars like Civics, VW Passats, Camrys, etc.
    Cool!
    I'd love to do a similar trip in an Irish-reg jeep/car!

Well, a few years ago a bunch of guys drove from Dublin to Sydney in an Irish-reg. BMW 316i.

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

vector wrote:
    I've seen a few Australian cars around too. There was some Corolla on Australian plates occasionally up the road from me - few weeks later it had Limerick plates on it. Looked exactly the same as the saloons here ('00 facelift E110), except for a shiny "1.8" badge on the side :D

There's also a Ford Falcon pickup (on Irish plates too) on the North Circular Road - crazy lookin yoke!

I've also seen a '92 Ford Laser, though it could have been a Japanese import (they sold them there too).

Most, if not all Arabic plates, have Arabic numbers (as in our Arabic numbers - 0123 etc.) on them too. Their numbers are allegedly "Eastern Arabic" numbers. I used to live in Saudi, and pretty much learned how to read them from number plates alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

netwhizkid wrote:
    The funniest "out of town" licence I ever seen was a VW Golf with Polish number plates in downtown manhatten last year, It was the last thing I ever expected to see over there and instantly recognised the plates from the thousands of them that are dodging VRT here.

A Pole (or any other EU resident) bringing his car to Ireland is not, in most circumstances, liable to pay any VRT on reregistering the vehicle here.

Dermot

Max_Damage wrote:
    Well, a few years ago a bunch of guys drove from Dublin to Sydney in an Irish-reg. BMW 316i.

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm

I'd heard about that story before, but didn't really believe it til now and all I can say is ....Cool!!!

It must have been some adventure driving all that way?!
    Apparently, they said they kept getting pulled over by the police in Australia - they'd never seen an Irish-reg car in Sydney, Perth, etc before :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement