Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

compulsion

• 24-08-2006 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I need to go un-reg for this because it's a bit weird and embarrassing

I have this compulsion to shout stuff out loud.
    sometimes I think I'm going to do it - especially on a bus or in a shopping centre, wherever there are loads of people. i haven't done it yet but i'm afraid that i might. it's been getting worse for the last few months.

it's not rude or nasty words or anything like that just some guttoral sounds especially o and u sounds

is this normal ?

i was in a forest once and there was nobody around for miles so i shouted out as loud as i could "awooooga" and "roooooool" just like that and then i was afraid someone would hear me. the sound was amazing though. I could hear my voice reverberating around the forest and i felt so buzzed.

i suppose i'm not doing anyone any harm

but has anyone ever heard of this type of compulsion? could it get worse. after seeing that fella on big brother with the terrets i wonder if i have something like that?

sorry for the long story. i've read that it helps even just to talk about stuff like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ajax95

god it feels so much better sharing this. even if it is anonymous.

i don't know what it is about the sounds but they must be primitive or must be sounds i heard when i was a little kid

the oooo sounds and the uuuu sounds feel so liberating

sometimes I sit alone and quietly mouth the sounds "awoooooooga" and "ruuuuuuule" i have a cup of tea with 2 sugars and mouth "twoooooo suuuuuugars"

i suppose we all have weird stuff wrong with us all but what if this is just the early symptoms of something more serious ?

maybe it's just what kids do. you know how sometimes kids play with sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Just a question, how old are you?

I'm 25.

have you ever heard of this type of compulsion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

I really think this sounds like Tourettes syndrome. Maybe you could check out some info on the web, and then have a think about what you may want to do.

Try here for a start http://www.tourettes-disorder.com/ and then do a bit more research.
    You are right, you are not doing anyone any harm, but it may be a good idea just to get things clear for yourself!

Have you always had these compulsions, do you do it allone or with other people around?

I know a few of my mates shout out random noises but only for a laugh, your case seems a little different cos you have it on your mind and you fear screaming in public.

• Advertisement

thank you i will read that.

i have had this compulsion for years. as long as i can remember.

i always do it alone. i'm afraid people will laugh at me. i'm doing it right now and it's almost liberating because i feel as if you can all hear me saying " awooooooga" and "ruuuuuuuuuuul" and "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack"

even though i know you can't it's still almost as if you can

maybe you shouldn't hide it from family members and friends, try doing it in front of them and see how they react, if it is tourettes they will find out at some stage, it'll be better that they know about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

In Woodbrook (fabulous book, by the way) David Thompson talks about this at one stage - cycling through the mountains with a compulsion to shout out "The Burnign Bush" and things like this!

i don't know if i can do that. that's a very frightening thing to consider.

i'm afraid that they will laugh at me or think there is something seriously wrong with me.

i kinow it shouldn't be a big deal and i should just say it but i can't

i had a dream once where i was at this park watching a game of football and my girlfriend was there and there was another boy who was trying to impress my girlfriend. i shouted out loud "ruuuuuuuuuuuul woooooooooon" and he stopped and she never talked to him again. it was weird. only in my dreams can i shout out loud. there is anothe recurring dream and in that dream i am making endless pots of tea for my boss. i walk in to his office saying "teeeeeee" and "toooooo suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugars" really loud and my voice is echoing all around his office.

you have no idea how good it is just to finally tell somebody about this

ever wonder what your neighbors think when they hear you shouting? You should try and tell someone you trust about this, it would take a bit of pressure off you and if you can relax a bit it might even stop.

why dont you consider taking up kick boxing or some other combat sport cos you can scream when your doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I don't know, it just sounds like an eccentricity. If you've felt like this for ages and it isn't getting worse, try not to think too much about it. What kind of situations/ emotional circumstances are you in when the impulsion comes on you?

I have a friend who gets impuslions to walk out in front of passing lorries and cars as the wheels pass by her on the road. Luckily, she doesn't. Some of these feelings are hard to explain, and I imagine are beyond the scope of PI. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

OT: Didn't John Fashanu use to shout "AWOOOOOGA!!" during Gladiators? Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

yeah its a compulsion everyone has had and still has compulsions it wouldnt be tourettes as u can control what u shout and when u shout it. torettes sufferers cant control there urges they shout it out regardless of where or who they are with. i get weird compulsions, a recent one is sticking me tongue out when im shaving, i use an electric shaver imagine the pain if i did it. sometimes i would love to shout out a big horrible swear word in mass like cnut but i wouldnt dare. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

There was a thread about this on AH a good few months back. It's an eccentricity as opposed to a condition. Will try and find it and post you the link.;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thank you all for the advice. this has been very liberating.

i finally decided to let it all out this morning and it wasn't as bad as I thought

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ajax
    site banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sad little man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement