Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Distance Relationship...

• 25-08-2006 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

im going unreg for this one cause alot of my buddies are on boards....

here is the situation,

in order for me to complete my education, i have had to move country, which means leaving my family and friends, but more importantly, leaving my girlfriend... saying goodbye to her at the airport was one of the hardest things that i have ever had to do.

We have only been together 2 months, but i already know that i will end up with this girl. what i want to ask people is how many of ye have been or currently are in a long distance relationship and have they worked out? i just want to hear personal stories about them.

i have heard alot of people saying "long Distance relationships never work" but im determined to make this one work. i have fancied her for about a year before we got together and now that we are together, i never want to be apart, i love her to much to lose her....

Any advice would be apprichated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Some good news for you OP, long distance relationships do work but take a great deal of work for both of you. :) I can identify with long distance relationships. My current wife and I had to spend a lot of time apart while I was working in Ireland, making money and so on before finally we moved and are living together right now in the US. Keep in touch, communicate and look forward to the time you two will be back when you are finished your education. Have a look at this thread for more stories and best of luck. If you wish to contact me via PM with any other concerns, dont hesistate to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

We have only been together 2 months, but i already know that i will end up with this girl.
    Ah well this part is nonsense first of all...(It might work out but nobody knows anybody till you live with them)

Long distance relationships do work though.. I was going out with an Aussie Girl for 3 months here, then travelled over to her after 6 months of long phone calls and emails. in fact sometimes it makes the relationship stronger...
    But like I said above ...then I moved in with her after 2 years ...Don't know who the person I moved in with was ..it certainly wasn't the girl I knew ...
    But that's a whole other thread :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes. It can work. Not always easy. Mine has lasted for months and we are 8 times zones apart. Playfulness is key. Play on the web with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Of course they can work.

I'm getting married in a few months, for the first two and a half years of the relationship we lived in different countries. It wasn't easy, but every time we say each other it was brilliant.

I must say Ryanair should probably get an invite to the wedding.

It is so important to keep in very regular contact, to make it seem like a normal relationship. Text, email, Skype .. daily contact so that you don't end up having very different lives and not know everything about each other.

It might sound like stalking, but the best grounds for a relationship is the element of 'best friends' which can only be gotten from knowing nearly everything about the other person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

They work... my brother married a girl a couple years ago who lived half way around the world and they only saw each other every 5-6 months.
    Just is hard not to lose the feelings for the other person things sometimes die down... at least from my personal experience... just keep talking to her regularly... get her a webcam if she doesn't have one already... talk on the phone etc it helps things alot :D

And Goodluck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

You could not possibly know that you will end up with the girl after two months. You have to have a long term relationship and actually live with the person before you can possibly know.

Long distance relationships never work unless the people in them are totally comitted to each other.

It depends entirely on the people in it and their trust in each other.

There is nobody that can answer this question only you and her. All you can do is try it and if it doesn't work you will know about it soon enough.

Best of luck. Theyre hard by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

As the saying goes "if you want to know me, come and live with me".

2 months is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

This is a situation a couple of years ago, my girlfriend of 3yrs who was my girlfriend of two months then had to move to newcastle for the summer to complete her course, same thing....we knew we were gonna end up together so we stayed together. The fact of the matter was that it only made us more and more crazy for each other, txt messages back and forth everyday and 'themed' phone calls helped. I visited for a week and it was amazing we were all over each other for the week. Anyway its three years later and we are still red hot.

Long distance can work if both parties feel strongly enough, it will just work itself out.

Make sure you make your feelings known to your gf so there is no doubt in her mind its all about coming home to her.

best of luck.

steve.

Advertisement