Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid plastic to coat a wall

Options
  • 25-08-2006 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question if anyone out there has used that liquid plastic stuff.
    Theres a wall made of cheap chalkboard in my garage, on which is mounted hundreds of beer mats. They are just stapled straight into the wall. As its in a garage, the damp is starting to get into the beer mats and make them all soggy.

I was wondering if that liquid plastic stuff you can get to seal floors could be used to seal a wall as well? I was thinking of just coating the whole wall with it to stop the damp getting at the cardboard beer mats. Do you think that would work okay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't know how it would interact with the paper in the beer mats.

However, I do know that you will probably need to lie the board flat to get any sort of result. The plastic coating seels to be self-levelling and may tend to run off a vertical surface (though I could be wrong).

My own inclination would be to use polyeurethane or acrylic-based varnish but I honestly can't give you any scientific basis for that suggestion other than that the wall doesn't take anything like the same amount of wear as a floor would. You just need to seal it to keep out the moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

IS the "liquid plastic stuff" PVC Unibond?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

My guess is that the moisture is coming from the inside (living area) and condensing on the cold wall of the garage. Best solutions are ventilation or insulation.

Advertisement