Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Prague.........

• 25-08-2006 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi there heading to Prague in November and would appreciate some advice on nice places to stay? things to do? Pubs/Restaurants? getting around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Avoid eating/drinking in oldtown square (the one with the clock tower).
    Overpriced... do not go in to Caffreys... its Irish prices :D
    Do not use the taxis... they will probably rip you off... no need.. its faster to use metro/tram/bus and only costs about €7 for a weeks travel pass!

Ocross charles bridge... look out for some steps leading down before the end.... go down and there is a great area there that few tourists notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

I agree with everything saruman says. Public transport is excellent and cheap no need for a taxi ever. I recently came back from Prague and made some notes in a travel book on places that were nice to eat but i gave it to my sister who went out the week after me. when i get the book back i'll post up some names.

Closer to the time you should google events that will be going on during your visit, we managed to get in a 2 day concert festival (which cost 30 euro) and the outdoor exhibition of earth from the air which was great (and free). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

As already said public transport is the way to go. spent a few days there in march. Brilliant city. Prague castle is a great place to go and near to that is an excellent restaurant called "Cowboys steaks and cocktails" (crap name though)It sounds like its gonna be some stupid american themed place but it's really very good.Not too dear either.
    http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

great thanks very helpful, if you can get that list of restaurants that would be cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blazen

Prague ist great city and there is plenty of activities.

Go to restaurants that have czech names and not international ones. If you look for expensive restaurants / Staromestke namesti is great place for you. No Czechs would eat there. Good restaurant is Staropramen restaurant near Smichovske Nadrazi stop. Look for restaurants around Andel or I.P.Pavlova or Narodni trida - you get good food for good price. Normal price is up to 120 Kc for a main meal. A beer for 20 - 25 Kc.

Great view is from Vysehrad - not many tourists go there. Our Zoo is one of the nicest I have ever seen. National Theatre is worth to visit. Useful info you find on http://www.pis.cz/.

And last but not least - BEHAVE !! Irish and English have the worse reputation in our country. If your purpose of travelling to our country is to get drunk, find other place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

blazen wrote:
    BEHAVE !!............. If your purpose of travelling to our country is to get drunk, find other place.

I can do both ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

Try Jazz bars, there are a few very good ones in Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Jeff_Lebowski I've no idea what that was about, but I deleted it.

No one's going to hunt or kill Anyone!

Anyway... I think Prague is the place with the big castle on top of the hill. Definitely go up to have a look at that. You can see across the city from there. On the way up/down you can go into a museum of torture.

I was there in the summer season so the place was packed with tourists (As with any tourist trap, watch your pockets).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So, what must one do in Prague?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Go to Erotic Park for the duration of your stay :D Thoroughly enjoyable,

But seriously.....

Go see that cool bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

HI. I was in Prague in November last year and it's absolutely brilliant. I'm not really into architecture or anything but its just amazing. Charles bridge and the Prague castle are well worth a visit. There is also a cathedral called st Vitus and you will not get over the detail put into it so honestly make sure you go as you won't regret it. Make sure you do the boat jazz trip with dinner included as you get to see the whole city by night. Prague not as cheap as it used to be but once you stay away from the Euro type bars and do the local thing with the tastier beers you will be fine. Personally didn't like the czech food though as I'm semi veggie and they love their meat. Just to let you know it will probably be freezing at night. it hit -15 last year so bring all your woolies. Enjoy your trip to what in my opinion is the most beautiful city!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

I love Prague...been there too many times to count - for a first trip the old and new town is great - so much to do !

I'd really recommend doing the TV tower - the tallest building in Prague. It's supposed to have been built by the communists to block out signals from the west. You get a lift to the top and its quite scary as its quite old but the view at the top is amazing. I did it at night and there is a bar at the top too so you can have cocktails and watch the city lit up.

I loved the Mirror maze too - you get the funicular railway to it. We got it with a load of drunk Czechs singing national songs and it was the funniest experience.

If you've seen all the touristy stuff - I'd recommend the village cinema at Smichov / Andel. Big lazy boy chairs and people who serve you beer / wine / champagne / food etc. in the cinema. They have great ice cream sundae's! Theres a cool shopping centre there too. If you are looking for cheap beer - we got 20 litre bottles of Staropramen there for €2. Flora has good deals with beer and wine too - Bohemia Sekt is cheap and not too bad and we got bottles of Budvar for 50c each. It's been a year since I last went so I'm sure the prices have gone up since then but there are still bargains to be had...

For day trips - I'd recommend Cesky Crumlov and Kutna Hora (it has a monastary partly made of Human bones!) and for a weekend break, Karlovy Vary is amazing !

Oh and about veggie food - I'm a vegetarian and while czech food doesn't cater for us - there are lots of options. There is a great indian restaurant off the old Square, a chinese in Wencelas Square where we had 2 courses for 2 people for €15, lots of pizza places and even some veggie restaurants...check the free prague guide you get in most hotels etc.

Advertisement