Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i pick your brains, calander

Options
  • 25-08-2006 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey, i've just got an idea bounced off me and just looking for ideas for a way to approach this

It's for a friend who wants a favour of a calander of a month, the month doesnt need to change but can if its easier

So think of a static month calander .... but he wants to be able to put information into say the .... First day of the month, last day of the month, second tuesday of the month..
    The information entered corrispond to reports he has to do and they only change a few every say 6months or so.

so im thinking 35 boxes on the screen, the ones that have no days in the month can be shaded out,
    there can be a input box at the bottom where they enter the report that has to be done up (by the way its litterally just about one line you enter, you dont need to upload the report or anything fancy like that)
    and also select by a drop down (first,second,third,fourth,last)
    and another drop down (mon-sunday)
    and a submit button

But i dont think my approach is the most effective and you know the way it is once you start on a path its hard to get off it so im looking for fresh ideas.

I know i havnt given alot of informination because im actually in work looking over my shoulder :p but if ive left anything out then say so and ill fill in the blanks

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Guess everyones kinda as stumped as i am :) i think im over complicating things with my approach
    Id love any input at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

are you simply looking for an online calendar?

http://www.easyphpcalendar.com/ is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

or you could look at the Google Calender

http://www.google.com/calendar

can send reminders by email, can allow others to view, you can share sections of the calender, meeting requests, search it using google.

It also intergrates with your gmail account

I have been using it for three or four months now and think its excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

The winged one had alot of bugs on it when i was even just trying it, and it has numbers for the days which expand where as id be looking more for the google approach and ever if it was just 35 text boxes that everyone could edit then that would work ... but the only thing is i need to make the text boxes change around according to the month ... so if it was due on the last day of the month sometimes it could be the 28th and sometimes 31st ... and then the first monday of the month isnt always on the first week row, sometimes it is ... and im just trying to get my head around how to approach that part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

PTL - I installed it and experienced no bugs, but I see what you mean regarding your other points. It suited my needs but it's not for everone.

I think this idea is alot more complicated then i thought :p

Im considering just making 31 text boxes linking to 31 fields which can be edited and on the vertical colum put first week, second week etc and on the horizontal have first Monday , first Tuesday etc and then later on i can put in a script which puts the date of the first monday under the box etc ... i really think theres an easier way but im stumped

Ive found exactly what im after ... but the code looks so dodgy and its a cgi application and im having trouble getting it to send full headers ...

http://boutell.com/~cataldo/sharedcalendars/QuickTour.cgi

When you click on the side to add event ... you can go down and select last day of the month, and make it recur every month

So what i was after was a calender just to add recurring events only, and that the calender would know how many days was in each month and move around the event accordingly ... so first monday of the month etc ...

How much do you think it would cost to employ someone to do an application like that, the one on that site has a bit too many features

So it would be a copy of that site, and its most important feature is being able to select first,second, third, fourth, fifth, last of any day and make that task recurring every month. Rough estimate on costing .. you can pm me if you dont want your price to be public

Advertisement