Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderdome: Threads about users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

kaimera wrote:
    Does venting now take the form of bullying and ganging up on the user you wish to vent upon?

Oh look, another person who doesn't understand what bullying is.
    It's a giant circle jerk forum tbh. You know at least poster gets their rocks off by 'venting' against another user.

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ruu wrote:
    I think its the Thunderdome they are talking about dear. :)

oh it is the thunderdome they are talking about dear but if you take the time to read the full thread you will see that they have mentioned TCN on more than one occasion, and also try and not to be patronising... its not very nice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now, your sig will be gone soon.

You only have to read 2-3 posts before you realise what is actually going on in there ;0.

Well that's a fair assessment to be sure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

jules80 wrote:
    oh it is the thunderdome they are talking about dear but if you take the time to read the full thread you will see that they have mentioned TCN on more than one occasion, and also try and not to be patronising... its not very nice

I have read the thread, however isn't it mainly about the insult threads in the thunderdome that the OP was mentioning? It wasn't my intention at all to be patronising, thats not the way I portray myself at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You're all a bunch of cunts so just shut the fuck up already.

EDIT: Oh wait, this isn't in The Thunderdome........ yet! Do I have to add some more pictures of retarded kids beating trees to get it there? I'm quite the master you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

amp wrote:
    Oh look, another person who doesn't understand what bullying is.

Bullying

Just in case you don't click it...

<> to act the bully toward; intimidate; domineer.

<> To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.

Perhaps Cyber Bullying is more suited to it?
    Cyberbullying is sending or posting harmful or cruel text or images using the Internet or other digital communication devices
    Cyber bullying (cyber-bullying, online bullying) is the use of electronic information and communication devices to bully or otherwise harass an individual or group through personal attacks or other means
    Cyberbullying is willful and repeated harm inflicted through the medium of electronic text

Venting on the other hand..
    To express (one's thoughts or feelings, for example), especially forcefully

But hey, it's all in the name of fun and
    amp wrote:
    moments of pure comedy

TT is the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

the only reason to get rid of it now is because two users are posting lame gay jokes in every thread and basically ruining it.
    i suggest both of them be banned and the rest of you grow a spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ruu wrote:
    I think its the Thunderdome they are talking about dear. :)

Sorry Ruu, I honestly thought he was on about TCN. But then I still think he was on about TCN. But someone else read it and they said he was probably on about The Thunderdome! :confused::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

takola wrote:
    Sorry Ruu, I honestly thought he was on about TCN. But then I still think he was on about TCN. But someone else read it and they said he was probably on about The Thunderdome! :confused::o

No need for aplogies, got me wires crossed too, 'twas originally about the Thunderdome. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He was talking about TCN takola.

kaimera wrote:
    Bullying

Just in case you don't click it...

<> to act the bully toward; intimidate; domineer.

<> To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.

Perhaps Cyber Bullying is more suited to it?

Oh I agree with the definition just not the application of the definition. If someone had to read the Thunderdome then when another user personally abuses them then they could rightly say that they were being dominated or bullied. They don't have to read it and therefore you can throw all the dictionary definitions you like at me but it doesn't change the fact that a user can happily post away without ever visiting TT without even knowing that they are being slagged.
    Venting on the other hand..

But hey, it's all in the name of fun and

TT is the former.

That's your opinion which I think is wrong. I've taken some of my more intense squabbles to TT which allowed for normal discussion to take place in the originating forum. Thus TT performs a useful function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

He was talking about TCN takola.

You sure? Either way my point still stands. TCN is in no way a waste of space. (Vaguely remember that point being made!) It's an assett to boards! We need somewhere to be a little loopy! Or a lot loopy! :D

You don't like it, Stay out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Agree with Amp, CuLT and Tar on this one.
    Nothing wrong with TT, leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Amp wrote:
    Hell yeah. Especially when it's not bullying, it's talking behind peoples backs. Which happens all the time. Actual bullying would be if the person in question had no choice but to read the posts. They have that choice. They also have the ability to fight back on an even playing field. Something which most bullied people do not have. Your bullying analogy is entirely false.

Unfortunately, bullying can be camalflagued so the reader aware of his/her own post will recognize it. Nor can bullying be avoided as it can appear on threads the reader has interest in. Further, bullying goes past what is posted as hacker attacks can be detrimental and frustrating. Also abuse by officials occurs. It would be nice if there was some place to post complaints about officials with out fear of being banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

the defense for the thunderdome here is pathetic

"Its a laugh" - use TCN
    "Venting" - axe some timber
    "They don't have to read it" - The point of bullying in the real world is not all about the victim. It's about tarnishing his name and making yourself look big. Why give people a vehicle to do this?

Do other boards use this sort of thing? Not being smart it's a genuine question, I don't really know any others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

originally posted by Endurance Man:
    Both the thunderdome and the cuckoo's nest are a complete waste of precious boards server speed/space. Do you folks posting in these completely useless threads really have nothing better to do?

Both of these forums have their rightful place here on Boards.IE

I had actually found the Thuderdome way before finding The Cuckoo's nest.

The Insult Thread in TT can be great fun to post in - although I know when I am in way over my head when I see certain posters and will then choose not to post there.
    But I do have that choice. If I see humourous posts there, I will post as well if I have something to add. If I see blatant face ripping, I will not post in there and will let the lads have at each other. It is a choice!!!!!

TCN is not for everybody. You need intellect and a good sense of humour to really spend any time there.
    Those of us who do post there regularly have become good friends and have a lot of fun playing together after a stressful day. There is nothing wrong with that.

And we welcome new ideas and games that anyone has to offer up to be used there. However, I must agree with clown Bag in that TCN should deffo not be used as a thread dumping ground. Isn't that why there is a forum called The Recycle Bin?

There is an astounding number of forums on this site, Endurance Man. If you don't like Thunderdome or TCN, go post in some other forum.

L

Matt Holck wrote:
    Unfortunately, bullying can be camalflagued so the reader aware of his/her own post will recognize it.

Huh?
    Nor can bullying be avoided as it can appear on threads the reader has interest in.

In Thunderdome?
    Further, bullying goes past what is posted as hacker attacks can be detrimental and frustrating.

Hacker attacks? What?
    Also abuse by officials occurs.

Where?
    It would be nice if there was some place to post complaints about officials with out fear of being banned.

You're in it mate. Nobodies ever been banned for complaining about an "official".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

The " you don't have to read it" arguement is pretty weak, since the posts show up on the front page, and well, your going to click a thread that has your name in it. What you don't have to do is reply to it. It's not nice or pleasent to be abused, no matter the medium. But not rising to bait is a lesson most people learn as kids, and at the end of the days, what does the opinions of strangers really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Matt. Go out, breathe in the nice head-clearing air for a minute and then think about it for a moment.

Amp is referring the the Thunderdome. This is a forum for ripping each other to shreds. If you're taking part in that then you've put the boxing gloves on already. That's why it's the one forum where you can't be bullied. This isn't to say that the idea is necessarily a good one, but your argument doesn't hold up.

If you want to complain about an offical open a help ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Talliesin wrote:
    Matt. Go out, breathe in the nice head-clearing air for a minute and then think about it for a moment.

Amp is referring the the Thunderdome. This is a forum for ripping each other to shreds. If you're taking part in that then you've put the boxing gloves on already. That's why it's the one forum where you can't be bullied. This isn't to say that the idea is necessarily a good one, but your argument doesn't hold up.

If you want to complain about an offical open a help ticket.

What about threads started about users that don't normally post in that forum? Surely they haven't agreed to putting the gloves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lust4Life wrote:
    Those of us who do post there regularly have become good friends and have a lot of fun playing together after a stressful day. There is nothing wrong with that.

Why sure, we're all liberal here ;)
    amp wrote:
    Oh I agree with the definition just not the application of the definition. If someone had to read the Thunderdome then when another user personally abuses them then they could rightly say that they were being dominated or bullied. They don't have to read it and therefore you can throw all the dictionary definitions you like at me but it doesn't change the fact that a user can happily post away without ever visiting TT without even knowing that they are being slagged.

That doesn't cut it. Okay I realise the Thunderdome has its uses as a dumping ground for heated arguments and there are plenty of "fair game" slagging matches that go on there. And I realise by choosing to post there, you're essentially "consenting" to being slagged.

However slagging users "behind their backs" in the belief that it's okay once "they don't see the thread" is unacceptable. For one, there's the defamation issue (which may or may not hold water depending on whether you view a person's internet persona and real persona as one and the same or not). More importantly, there's the fact that you can't assume a person will never read the thread. Even if they were previously unaware of the forum's existence, there's the likelihood that the thread will be pointed out to them by another board's user. The effect of seeing an entire thread filled with hatred directed towards them would be devastating to someone of a sensitive disposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Both the thunderdome and the cuckoo's nest are a complete waste of precious boards server speed/space. Do you folks posting in these completely useless threads really have nothing better to do?

If the cookoo's nest was not there then you would still have that level of spammy posting but in other forums.
    at least in the cookoo's nest it is not off topics and driving other posters mental.
    Boards was once a lot less serious then it is across most forums and with out the cookoo's nest a lot of peoples heads would explode mine included.

The tunderdome serves a simular function were you can blow off steam get into a slagging match or just ignore the forum until you need it.

InFront wrote:
    the defense for the thunderdome here is pathetic

I find your discription of my arguments hurtful. Please stop bullying me :(
    "Its a laugh" - use TCN

Why not, there's nothing stopping people from doing the same on TCN as long as it's creative.
    "Venting" - axe some timber

So if one user has a problem with another user they should do it in the forums where personal abuse is a bannable offense? Or destroy the enviroment?
    "They don't have to read it" - The point of bullying in the real world is not all about the victim.

It's about tarnishing his name and making yourself look big. Why give people a vehicle to do this?

Why not? Are people always nice to each other in the real world(tm)? And if people are really concerned with the tarnishing of their name in TT then they need their head examined. You said yourself that TT wasn't particularly busy so it's only a few people that will read the slagging that goes on there and if they understand TT they'll not take it too seriously.
    Do other boards use this sort of thing? Not being smart it's a genuine question, I don't really know any others.

SA has a forum called FYAD which stand for Fúck You And Die. No real personal abuse restrictions there. A lot of forum sites tend not to have any personal abuse restrictions at all, although these are generally quite anarchic and hard to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

For **** sake Le Rack get the thread locked, this has to be the most retarded forum on boards. Its ****ing pointless. People abusing other people on a ****ing internet forum. :rolleyes: Some of the stuff said here were it said in public would be slanderous. Some of yiz need to get a ****ing life ............

This is what I think about the Thunderdome.... and I stand by it :) BTW I think the "Le Rack" thread should be locked and consigned to the Recycle Bin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

amp wrote:
    So if one user has a problem with another user they should do it in the forums where personal abuse is a bannable offense? Or destroy the enviroment?

Destroy the environment... including the purple bunnies.

'Creative' flaming in TCN isnt a problem - I think its the unintelligent, despotic version that is carried out in The Thunderdome by a relatively small few that use it which actually gets to people.
    It isnt an attractive feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Carnivore wrote:
    since the posts show up on the front page,
    That is something that maybe should be changed back to the way it was before. No need to advertise the forum to potential neigh sayers. It was only recently that posts started to appear on the main page and maybe it wasn't such a wise move.
    Out of sight, out of mind, less feedback hassle.

InFront wrote:
    Destroy the environment... including the purple bunnies.

'Creative' flaming in TCN isnt a problem - I think its the unintelligent, despotic version that is carried out in The Thunderdome by a relatively small few that use it which actually gets to people.
    It isnt an attractive feature.

Nobody said TT has to be attractive. Personally I don't find PI attractive, but that doesn't mean I don't value it's existence. It has very successfully concentrated posts into a forum I don't have to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Personally, I'm not incredibly happy about people being able to start threads there. I liked it better when the only threads appearing there were moved from somewhere else.

Aside from that, "anything goes" means just that. If you post in the Thunderdome, you had better be able to give as good as you get. That's the point.

And Endurance Man, pipe down. You're just jealous because you're rubbish at posting in either forum. You seemed quite ecstatic back when you started that Pighead vs Sarky thread in, ooh! Look! The Thunderdome! Were you hurt when neither of us danced for your amusement? Or was it everyone else telling you what a crappy idea it was? If you're denying your contribution to that forum I guess we may never know. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Sarky wrote:
    You seemed quite ecstatic back when you started that Pighead vs Sarky thread in, ooh! Look! The Thunderdome!

hehehehe

BURN!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement