Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The seven wave law

Options
  • 25-08-2006 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a surfer so this is a question for you.

My father used to tell me that big waves come in sevens. Therefore, if you see a big wave you can wait for the seventh next wave and it will also be a large one.

Do surfers actually see this in reality or is it a myth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Pretty much a myth.

On a given day you might notice some pattern in the sets coming in, but there is certainly no "rule" I have ever heard of that applies.

On a related note though, longer swell periods tend to lead to better wave formation so perhaps it is tied up with that in some way or another.

JAK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

well for some reaason whenever I surf Rossnoulagh I seem to find that there is usually 3 or 4 wave series and I always go for the second. That's just me. Every beach and everyday is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Jak wrote:
    Pretty much a myth.

On a given day you might notice some pattern in the sets coming in, but there is certainly no "rule" I have ever heard of that applies.

On a related note though, longer swell periods tend to lead to better wave formation so perhaps it is tied up with that in some way or another.

JAK
    Yep, its secondary school physics, really.
    image004.gif

Bigger delay between waves(longer period), equates to better waves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Yep, its secondary school physics, really.
    image004.gif

Bigger delay between waves(longer period), equates to better waves :)

Are physicists better surfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I wont delude myself and pretend so :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

Considering how technical it is in determining....weather patterns....wave structure... Bugger the chemistry course. I'll think I will do physics. If I can't stand on the board at least I'll know where the best waves are located:D

Advertisement