Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Traning Tips.

Options
  • 25-08-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi there. I wonder if any of you can give me tips on training a wesite puppy. I've read loads of websites but if any one here had any tips i would greatly appreciate it.

I am trying to get her to learn to go to the toilet on newspaper at the moment. I have started covering almost all of the floor with newspaper (and ive tried a litter tray but no go whatsoever) but she manages to find a spot thats not covered in newspaper. What should i do when she misses the spot, just say no and put her on the spot where she should go. (My mother wants me to stick her nose in it, i don't want to frighten the living daylights out of her).

Also how do you wash a dogs ears. It says wash her ears once a week...

Also when should i try start her to get used to walking on a lead.

Also when she poohs i see some red blood. What is that about. I am going to go to the vets tomorrow for her 12 week injection so i will ask him about that also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

First mistake is to have your dog go in the house at all, its very hard to break them away from that when it starts. It doesn't matter to dogs what surface is on the floor. The reason she is avoiding the paper is because it might make noise or something. The best way to train your dog is to have a crate or cage (enough where she can walk a little bit or lay down) where the dog will think that its her den. Have the dog in the cage for longer amounts of time so she will learn how to hold it, if you ever catch her going inside, pick her up right away and put her outside.

Cleaning your dogs ears is simple enough, a vet or pet store will have something suitable for that, use it on a cottonball and it'll be okay.

Are you planning to get the dog groomed at any stage? If so make sure you start soon, they won't be used to the sound and people touching their paws and face, etc.

Start walking her on a lead, the sooner you start the better, its the same with every dog.

The blood could be anything, change of diet, stress so best let your vet take care of that.

Advertisement