Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about attic insulation.

Options
  • 25-08-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Should I put attic insulation under my water tank? At present there is no insulation at all under the tank and this presents quite a big hole in the insulation barrier between house and attic. The rest of the attic is insulated. My gut feeling is to go ahead and insulate here but I am concerned that this may increase the risk of my water pipes freezing. Does anybody know what is standard building practise for this? The house is a 2 storey detached house in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

The insulation is correctly left out underneath the tank to reduce the risk of the tank freezing.
    I suggest thatr you ensure that the tank is covered and then insulate around it, this will mean no break in insulation and tank is below insulation.
    Again, ensure that the tank is correctly covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks BB - I suspected that might be the case. I will try and build the insulation around and over the tank as you suggest. That is going to be difficult though because the tank is jammed in between roof trusses and pipes.

Advertisement