Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I connect my fax machine wirelessly to eircom broadband?

• 25-08-2006 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there

I wonder if someone can help.

I recently purchased the Dell All in One Printer 964 that has a faxing feature. When trying to set this up with my Eircom broadband the manual gives a one line instruction "connect the printer directly to the output of the DSL filter" - which I presume is where my router connects into the phone line.

The problem is that my printer is in another room so can't connect the 2 without running loads of cable through the house...

Does anyone know if there is a way this can be set up wirelessly? I called Eircom to ask them but they didn't seem to know and advised me to call Dell...who of course told me I needed to talk to Eircom...

Any help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'm fairly certain you can't. As far as I know a Fax works on analogue single over the phone line. So unless there was some way to convert analogue to digital, send over wireless, convert from digital back to analogue and then send over the telephone line, it's not possible.

That's my take. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

FAX is an analogue signal so as above you'd need something to do ADC then DAC at the other end, best either using cables or drop in favour of e-mail. Do people still FAX?

How are you connected to the modem, via WiFi? If you had a cable (ethernet) connection back you could use the redundant line on the CAT5 cable to hook up the phone line but I suspect you're using WiFi so you are stuck I'm afraid.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hesso2000

Yes you're right, I'm connected via Wifi to the modem...doesn't sound like that leaves me with a lot of options.

Unfortunately the companies I do work for seem to like faxing so will have to sort something else out. Thanks Munstercyling and irlrobins for your help though.

H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

With any of the companies I deal with I simply say "I Don't use fax, you'll have to email it to me" some of them grumble a bit at first but they get used to it eventually. It's easier and produces less paper i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Why not get in a service like j2? You can get a real fax number (they'll give you a US fax number for free, even), so that's great for incoming faxes. For a fee, you can also send faxes as well, and get an Irish fax number. It works over broadband grand.

• Advertisement

Just had a thought, do you have a Vodafone bill pay mobile acc? Get the fax sent to your number but put the mailbox number as your fax and it will work, you then can login to vodafone mail and retrieve your fax online from wherever you are. You even get text telling you its arrived. Do it the rare occasion I need to receive a fax, so rare I'd forgotten it.

MC

eg 087 5 1234567 This woulb be the fax number of 087 1234567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hesso2000

Thanks for all the help. I just checked out J2 and their efax service seems like just what I need. It's usually the accounts payable departments who are sticklers for faxing remittance advice and things so think that will keep them happy...

The mobile one is a good idea too, I'm on O2 though so not sure it would work with their e-mail service...then again am changing from that service as well as it has been giving me nightmares in the past few months since they upgraded the website.

As a first time poster on Boards I'd definitely come back here again for some good advice...

H

Glad to help, the O2 service is pretty dire compared to the Vodafone one but each to their own. I mean for gods sake they (O2) still charge to collect your voice mail FFS

MC

Oh yeah just to add that the Vodafone service is FREE!

Edit: The FAX service I meant.

Advertisement