Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siblings in UCD

Options
  • 25-08-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Sorta inspired by the thread in AH.

My brother was in third year med when I started pre med and so id bump into him on nights out and in the student bar etc. I do think I held back a lot while he was here cos I wouldnt want him to go home to tell mum and dad I was pissed or something.Id make sure he'd see me in the library regularly too. We did get really close in college though as I knew all his friends inside out and he knew all mine. However, I do think I can be a bit more myself on campus now he's gone. Like him and his mates always used to laugh at uniony type people and anyone not playing some type of sport, so I would never have attempted to run for wefare officer while he was here or I would have got some amount of slagging at christmas din

Anyways just wondering if anyone had a bro or sis while they studied at UCD and do you think it altered their college experience in some way or would it have been the same with or without them there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dovescar

Well im only startin this year and im not in the same situation but i can totally understand why u felt that way, fair play though sounds like u dealt well with it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm the exact same. Well not the exact same as my brother's in med but I'm not. We're both graduating though in the same year so we'll be together forever. It was never a bother to me-it was nice to know someone was in the big bad world that is Dublin alongside me and I've always found him very supportive when I need him. UCD's a big enough place that I never see him though. Odd that you only bumped into him in the pub-mine was in the Terrace

Must have been tougher for you though. My other brothers doing the same course as me in a different college, in the same year-I definately wouldn't have been too happy doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

My brother and I have both been at UCD for three years now. But it gets worse! I've had to live with him for all of that time, as well as sharing a room for my first two years. I thought that I would get away from him and the rest of the family once I got to college, but I ended up living closer to him than when I was at school!

I don't think it altered my experience. There were the usual petty squables, which only soured things momentarily, but on the whole it was positive. It was beneficial to have someone I knew when I came to college, and it was easy to share food and financial burdens, etc. I knew he wouldn't ever tell the folks about any 'misadventures'. So, there really wasn't any downside, but it would be nice to break free from one's past and start anew at college, which is what I did but not to the same extent if he hadn't been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm glad my brother isn't in UCD. Love him to bits, but I don't need what I get up to potentially heading home. As it is there have been a few close shaves with people I know from home direction who would know him socially. Ireland's a ridiculously small place.

My sister fully intends on going to WIT, where my brother is. She's looking forward to having someone older to keep an eye out. Odd little critter.

Samos, that must have been hard - sharing a room with siblings sucks at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I don't have a sibling in UCD but there was one person in college with me who I used to babysit!! I used to freak her out by telling people I had photos of her as a baby...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Samos wrote:
    My brother and I have both been at UCD for three years now. But it gets worse! I've had to live with him for all of that time, as well as sharing a room for my first two years. I thought that I would get away from him and the rest of the family once I got to college, but I ended up living closer to him than when I was at school!.

Tell me about it!!Poor Samos!!I thought Id be totally free from my family and I ended living with my bro for two years too.Umm not in the same room though :) I suppose the good thing about living with family is that you can have a massive argument and things will be grand by the next morning. I suppose its just little things that are annoying like you cant bring your boyfriend back to your house without him meeting 'the family'.

Its amazing how many people have sibling in other courses in UCD that I know and they only see each other when they go home for Easter of Christams. C'est impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Not happened...yet but my bro will probably going to Trinity/UCD if he decides to go straight from school (hes the smart one between us, bastid!).
    By the time he starts in uni we'll have moved into the same place somewhere but i dont think it would affect me in anyway. I dont care if/what he kows what i get up to and my parents dont really care. They figure im old enough to look after myself.
    That said, i am the elder so maybe it would be different for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Never happened to me either... Which is kinda odd, given that there are 7 of us. Like, only 2 even went to the same university, but it was at completely different times so their paths never actually crossed, so to speak. In fact, I'm the only one of our lot to go to UCD since the parents (who met here, incidentally). Weird.

At times it looked like 1 or 2 were gonna pursue a postgrad in UCD, but never quite happened. I like to think that my telling them how much of a shíthole it is might hav had some bearing on that outcome - just kiddin!:D

Anyway, I woulda loved it if one or more of my siblings had gone to UCD, and especially at the same time as myself - just would've made the whole experience so much more enjoyable, and definitely less intimidating and overwhelming at the start. And the middle. And possibly the end.

Pity really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm in 3rd year, my brother's going into 1st year, and to make matters worse, we're both based in the science buildings. Oh joy!

Advertisement