Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on this forum?

• 25-08-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Time for you all to be honest.

Would you rather the forum be moved to a location somewhere near the existing satellite section and including a name change for better coverage?

Have the forum merged with the existing satellite forum?

Leave it in its current location and change its name?

Other than the above, post your opinions.

Give me your opinions. You all are the users of this forum, your opinion counts.

Sparky-s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sub-forum of Satellite perhaps?

It smells of teh ghey. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

From a relative new person’s perspective, I think we definitely need two forums, but my suggestion would be to have one dedicated to Sky and the other to non-sky related satellite. The two forums should be close to each other.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

First off I am all for keeping this seperate from the existing satellite forum. All this Sky stuff does get a wee bit boring all the same. Its great to have somewhere to go and discuss stuff other than Sky and FTV channels.

With regards to a name chance, well I would be in favour of some sort of a name change but nothing too far from what we are all about. I would like to continue to posts threads about live football fixtures and about what channels are showing them.

Also there are many who like to come on here and ask questions about different satellites and which channels packages are available. It would be unfair to take that away from them. I dont know how many threads I used to get closed or edited while discussing Art and TPS channels in the Original Satellite forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Euro Sport Sat
    or
    Sat Xtra
    beside sat forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

As far as I recall this forum was originally started to allow discussion of the 'grey area' of paid subs to things like ART. Discussion of piracy is rightly banned in both forums, but threads wanting to discuss setting up and paying for Art were locked/deleted in Satellite.

So if these threads are now allowed in Sat then I guess merging the 2 forums would be fine. If not then keep this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Merging depends on an agreement with the ICDG mods and tbh I reckon 85% of users on this forum would not like that.

I'd like to see it under satellite in the menu but only to discuss non Sky topics.
    Obviously to be renamed. I know it has a lot of posts of sport, but have the forum where it can be to do with any foreign service.

Sat Xtra sounds catchy

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I think this should be kept alive for the more "techy" side of satellite for the more advanced satellite users, some of whom already come in here.

A sub-forum of Satellite might be a good idea, and of course the name Sat Xtra is a good name for it.

As long as Cloud's "X" key doesn't stick. We do want "family friendly"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

:) I propose Irish Satellite and Foreign Satellite for now.

I don't think the sub-forum would be a good idea after all, so I've put them in parallel...

Not in favour on one combined Forum I'm afraid Cloud. This was originally set up to be totally separate for the original sat forum

• Advertisement

No I meant they'd be two separate forums.

Cloud wrote:
    No I meant they'd be two separate forums.

Ah thats ok so, and what about the location of them both. I guess they will both be in the Tech section.

Forum has moved.

I'll see how it works for the time being.

Personally I think it's a step forward in the right direction.

Happy posting.

Indeed :)

byte

Cloud wrote:
    :) I propose Irish Satellite and Foreign Satellite for now.

I don't think the sub-forum would be a good idea after all, so I've put them in parallel...
    Hmm, I think Satellite forum should remain as the Satellite forum. Irish Satellite wouldn't cover much. Even the likes of Sky isn't Irish!

So I still believe in having both Satellite, and Sat Extra (maybe the E would look better than the X as it may give the wrong meaning :p)

Then in the Forum Rules sticky for each forum, a synopsis of what can be discussed in each?

byte wrote:
    So I still believe in having both Satellite, and Sat Extra (maybe the E would look better than the X as it may give the wrong meaning :p)
    I take it that any discussion about acquiring (legally) adult channels is banned in both forums?

I mean foreign channels! - nudge nudge - ya know what I mean eh?

No prune talk. Family friendy forums.

Only in subscription only forum it is allowed

Nothing Illegal.

It's the type of thing that can get boards into trouble.

byte wrote:
    Hmm, I think Satellite forum should remain as the Satellite forum. Irish Satellite wouldn't cover much. Even the likes of Sky isn't Irish!

Then in the Forum Rules sticky for each forum, a synopsis of what can be discussed in each?

Irish Satellite should be "Satellite". There is no such thing as Irish Satellite yet.

"Foreign Satellite" should be "Satellite Sport" or "Sat Sport Extra" or "Sport Subs".

byte

Well, we both agree that Irish Satellite should go back to being just "Satellite"

I'm not sure about Foreign Satellite being called "Satellite Sport" though. Especially if some want foreign subs for things other than sport, eg foreign nationals (is that the right term?) living here, or whatever.

I still prefer "Sat Extra" or if you fancy it, "Sat Elite" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Euro Sat would be ok imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Being 'Honest'.

One forum not two.

Jesus, is there really a need for 7 mods. Lets go back to where we were. Is there any other forum on here with this amount of mods. All I wanted was some sort of editing rights and I could not even get that and now I log on to see the amount of mods on here.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Jesus, is there really a need for 7 mods. Lets go back to where we were. Is there any other forum on here with this amount of mods. All I wanted was some sort of editing rights and I could not even get that and now I log on to see the amount of mods on here.
    Aquos.

watty, icdg, byte, Mossy Monk and MiCr0 are all Cable / Digital TV mods.

This forum is in that category now.

Hagar is due to be removed, but an admin has not got around to it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Aquos76 wrote:
    My heart bleeds. :)

Yeah but 6 fcuking mods c'mon how much looking after does it take. Atleast when it was on its own we had 2 mods.

You can be sure that all 6 will be monitoring and editing posts now. We are back where we started now. We might as well have only one Satellite forum.

The reason I starting contributing more here than the sat forum was because that was way to moderated, Sure its going to be the same here.

We can already see it going that way with watty suggesting that does of us who are promoting Art cards should have to pay adverting right to Cloud. ffs how ridiculous can one get. The main reason we are all on about Art is the fact that it is a bargain. The more money we take off of Sky the better imo.

Aquos, I mod 24, but Byte, celticfc and lolth never got directly involved with the forum as such.

Yeah they can see edits etc, but it's the general mod that usually does the work.

Aquos can I ask you one question?
    Did you believe that watty is against the talking of art cards?

I would assume watty was pointing out the hacking of services side of issues.

Sparky-s wrote:

Aquos can I ask you one question?
    Did you believe that watty is against the talking of art cards?

I would assume watty was pointing out the hacking of services side of issues.
    Also now it NOT hosted, I imagine Devore, Cloud, Vexorg and Regi etc will charge advertising fees to those specifically promoting pay TV cards.

Well, what do you think he was on about. Looks fairly obvious to me.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Aquos, I mod 24, but Byte, celticfc and lolth never got directly involved with the forum as such.

Yeah they can see edits etc, but it's the general mod that usually does the work..

Point taken, but it is a bit off putting seeing that amout of mods in one forum.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    Well, what do you think he was on about. Looks fairly obvious to me.

Where is that post exactly?

Sparky-s wrote:
    Where is that post exactly?

Here you go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Sorry to say this new arrangement does not appeal. I am disappointed these changes have happened and expect to be more looking in now than contributing.

I believe we're back where we started which is why there was a drive for Eurosat in the first place.

The lumping of the forum into the remit of cable/digital mods is particulary uninspiring given the unambiguously declared opposition of some of these same individuals to the creation of a place for alternative satellite discussion.

It's a pity it wasn't left alone. Eurosat was doing just fine.

Pal wrote:
    Sorry to say this new arrangement does not appeal. I am disappointed these changes have happened and expect to be more looking in now than contributing.

I believe we're back where we started which is why there was a drive for Eurosat in the first place.

The lumping of the forum into the remit of cable/digital mods is particulary uninspiring given the unambiguously declared opposition of some of these same individuals to the creation of a place for alternative satellite discussion.

It's a pity it wasn't left alone. Eurosat was doing just fine.

Would have to agree with you 100% pal. Why fix some thing that was not broken....

Various of the ex ICDG hmods have said to Cloud we are not happy with the naming.

Re: Art Cards (or any other cards, Sky Sub cards, Sky FTV cards etc).

I'm not against people having Art or any other legitimate non-Sky card.

But there is a difference between promoting awarness of alternate suppliers and simply using the Forum to market a product.

There have been questions asked of me regarding "advertising" which is not allowed anywhere on Boards unless paid for or in the allocated Adverts or Buy& Sell etc sections.

Previously to solve the issue of non-Mods wanting to edit material and also have content always available without a sticky, so Byte and I set up the ICDGopedia (see my sig).

Aquos76 may have an account to edit ICDGopedia OR my wiki here:
    http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Satellite%20and%20TV
    can have page. with anynumber of sub pages.

Aquos76
    Let me know by PM with your real name & email address (same conditions as everyone else that is allowed to edit those sites) and WHICH site you want to have Football/Satellite stuff on.

Then we can make a sticky with introduction and link to it.

Wiki editing beats forum threads. Also MUCH MUCH faster sites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pal wrote:
    I am disappointed these changes have happened and expect to be more looking in now than contributing

but why? what does it matter how many moderators there are. if you keep within the rules like you always have then what issue is there?

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    but why? what does it matter how many moderators there are. if you keep within the rules like you always have then what issue is there?

That was just the reply I would have expected from you. We were doing alright when we we hidden away but now we are here we have to put up with stupid comments like this.

The moving of this forum will only do it more harm than good.

It was a private forum. But you all wanted it to be public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Mossy Monk wrote:

You didn't want this forum.
    You objected to it's creation.
    Now you're going to tell me what I can and cannot say.
    I don't think so.
    Adios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

another wonderful start to the moderating of a forum for me :rolleyes:

yes, it would seem my ghastly plan has come to fruition. you'd swear that i asked or even wanted to be a mod of this place the way some people are reacting
    Aquos76 wrote:
    That was just the reply I would have expected from you

and i expect the usual whinge from you in return

Aquos76 wrote:

First off, two mods have left - they just haven't been removed - Hagar / Mossy Monk.

Secondly, we have what are called Category Moderators, i.e. Micr0 moderates the Tech category.

So there are still four mods - the ICDG mods (byte, icdg) and the Foreign Satellite mods (Sparky-s, watty).

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    We can already see it going that way with watty suggesting that does of us who are promoting Art cards should have to pay adverting right to Cloud. ffs how ridiculous can one get. The main reason we are all on about Art is the fact that it is a bargain. The more money we take off of Sky the better imo.

I don't want you to pay me any advertising. I'm only one of the owners :) But seriously, if you start pimping your wares in an obviously commercial manner, you will either have to (1) stop, (2) pay for a business interaction forum or (3) be banned. It's the same on all our forums, hosted doesn't make it immune.

Now, back to the naming of the forums Satellite and Foreign Satellite.

I would prefer that the whining stop now, else a moderator can enforce a ban.

Here are some options:

Satellite
    Satellite Extra

Satellite
    European Satellite

Basic Satellite
    Advanced Satellite

Satellite
    Satellite Experts

J.
    --

What would make most sense to me is to try to separate the mainstream Sky stuff, from the more obscure 'Sat for a hobby' type stuff, where those with a genuine interest can discuss the size of their dishes and dreamboxes. The greyish subs to things like Art would fall into the 2nd cat too.

So something like:

Sat (Sky/Astra) / Sat (UK/Ireland broadcasting)
    Sat (Others)

This isn't going to get any support I know, but it's my opinion nevertheless.

watty wrote:
    Various of the ex ICDG hmods have said to Cloud we are not happy with the naming.

Re: Art Cards (or any other cards, Sky Sub cards, Sky FTV cards etc).

I'm not against people having Art or any other legitimate non-Sky card.

But there is a difference between promoting awarness of alternate suppliers and simply using the Forum to market a product.

You forum markets BSkyB, but in a different sence that BSkyB do their own marketing aswell.
    watty wrote:
    There have been questions asked of me regarding "advertising" which is not allowed anywhere on Boards unless paid for or in the allocated Adverts or Buy& Sell etc sections.
    There was one incident of a user saying he had cards. I informed them to use the PM system for that as it was turning into a selling area.

As cloud says any more and there will have to be an expected ban.
    watty wrote:
    Previously to solve the issue of non-Mods wanting to edit material and also have content always available without a sticky, so Byte and I set up the ICDGopedia (see my sig).

Aquos76 may have an account to edit ICDGopedia OR my wiki here:
    http://www.wattystuff.net/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Satellite%20and%20TV
    can have page. with anynumber of sub pages.

Aquos76
    Let me know by PM with your real name & email address (same conditions as everyone else that is allowed to edit those sites) and WHICH site you want to have Football/Satellite stuff on.

Then we can make a sticky with introduction and link to it.

Wiki editing beats forum threads. Also MUCH MUCH faster sites :)

I'm perfectly happy with Aquos using my website as a means of showing fixtures and anyone else for that matter.
    It uses the same system as here, so I don't see an issue.
    If he want to use your system, all's good.
    Speed seriously cannot be an issue. It's hosted in the same building boards is hosted in.

Regarding the legality of Art digital and any other foreign satellite broadcaster.

Comreg has to say this.

There are a number of operators who provide television by satellite such as the Sky Digital service. It should be noted that currently where broadcasting services are not originated in Ireland then any content regulation is the responsibility of the country of origin.

ART have basically said that "they only sell their cards in their territory".
    So no responsibility lies within them to prosecute people outside their territory for receiving their channels.

They are well aware of people receiving their network channels outside their territory.

The only known legal case taken against anyone for receiving Art digital was to pub owners in the UK by BSkyB.

We are not publicly broadcasting matches to an audience, we are using them for our personal use.

And from what I have read, comreg don't cover it and I seriously doubt BSkyB are gong to sue the 367 odd users in Ireland and Boards.ie Ltd

In that case if they did, Digital Spy in the UK would have had their non 28.2 forum shutdown a good while.

As a user and both a Mod in old ICDG/Satellite and Mod in EuroSat/Foreign Sat I would be happy with:
    Satellite
    Sat Extra

OR
    Satellite
    Sat Sport

OR
    Satellite
    Sport Subs

In main Satellite there is a Sticky to list of Suppliers of equipment.
    In Sat Extra/Sport Subs/Sat Sport there should be a sticky of LEGAL satellite subscription suppliers. Any addtional promoting of Art or Alb or Al Jazzeera etc cards should be off site.

My tuppance worth.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    another wonderful start to the moderating of a forum for me :rolleyes:
    The Waterford forum all over again aye Mossy;) Look Mossy I have nothing against you, it just your ways of moderating.
    I don't want you to pay me any advertising. I'm only one of the owners But seriously, if you start pimping your wares in an obviously commercial manner, you will either have to (1) stop, (2) pay for a business interaction forum or (3) be banned. It's the same on all our forums, hosted doesn't make it immune.

Pimping my wages, ffs are you having a laugh, I sold 3 cards through this forum and those 3 cards yielded me a combined profit of €30. I only stated that I had a few cards to sell to members that either had no CC or did not want to take a chance on ebay. I sold them at a fair price imo.
    Now, back to the naming of the forums Satellite and Foreign Satellite.

I would prefer that the whining stop now, else a moderator can enforce a ban

The original name and setup was fine and did not need to be changed imo.. With regards to banning again I have to ask, are you for real. The title of this thread is OPINIONS on this forum so that what we all have. If we all had the same opinion it would make it a brutal place.

Now thats my rant over for now.

1st option

Satellite
    Sat Extra.

Whining stops now.
    Seriously.
    For the sake of the users.

I agree that legitimate cards are perfectly legal in Ireland for individuals, no matter where the broadcaster originates.

Pubs can't even use ordinary Sky subs.

The former ICDG has never promoted BSKYB, the reverse in fact, explaining how BBC / ITV etc and value of FTA and limitations of Sky box and multiway dish and motorised dish. The Satellite Forum has never promoted BskyB subscriptions.

Obviously the cost & package line up of Sky Sports and Setanta packages on Both pay Satellite and pay Cable (all cable is payTV) have been discussed. I never heard anyone get excited about Sky Sports being "good value" :)

Value in this country is hard to get.

Pretty much why most people source various things abroad.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

The forum name doesn't seem to be the main problem. The problem is the scope of the forum, what can and can't be talked about and how this is going to be enforced (moderated). This should be agreed first before forum names.

I'm still for two forums as in previous post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement