Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I would never dream of doing this....

• 25-08-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

gards.jpg

However, some people think its fine to park in a space reserved for special needs people and stroll of in to the shops for luch.

IFSC lunchtime today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You should forward that on to the Garda press office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

seriously forward that image - that's a disgrace.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah, someone should tell them it is for "physically" disabled only.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    You should forward that on to the Garda press office.

Good idea. With the exact location and date/time. They should be able to pinpoint who was driving at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It also looks as if it is blocking a bend or an exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

:O
    Garda Press and public relations---> gpro@iol.ie

Is anyone taking bets that nothing will be done about this driver if it is reported to the gardai PR office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

MrPudding wrote:
    Yeah, someone should tell them it is for "physically" disabled only.

MrP

lol

That really is ridiculous though. It's like at the Garda station on Harcourt street with all the Garda cars parked up on the path. Literally the entire car up on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

TimAy wrote:
    lol

That really is ridiculous though. It's like at the Garda station on Harcourt street with all the Garda cars parked up on the path. Literally the entire car up on the path.

Haha! I passed there once, about a year or two ago, and clampers had clamped every single one of the cars. Must have waited until there was no Garda stading there to do it.
    Mind you, the parking didn't stop and they never seemed to clamp them again so I imagine someone in the Gards had a word with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Think that's a disgrace??

I was coming back from lunch today when I saw the following:

Walking across O'Connell Street heading towards lower Abbey Street, I saw a cop transit van drive the wrong way down middle Abbey Street on the Luas tracks, crossed through a red light on O'Connell Street causing cars and buses to stop and then drove again on the Luas tracks on lower Abbey Street as there was traffic stopped at the red light. A Luas driver blew his horn at the cop van (which had no lights and siren on by the way and was tootling along at a leisurely pace). This caused the cop driver to get out and start threatening the Luas drive as cops tend to do. He then got back in his van and jumped on the accelerator and went through another red light heading for Busaras.

This uniformed shower of thugs need a good kick up the arse. Who the hell do they think they are - the untouchables - who can break the law as and when they see fit.

There was an article in the paper the other day about how society will break down when the public have no respect for the police. I think its fair to say we've arrived at that point.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

lightening wrote:
    However, some people think its fine to park in a space reserved for special needs people and stroll of in to the shops for luch.

IFSC lunchtime today.

they shouldn't get away with that! thats terrible. if any other joe soap done that they'd have a yellow shoe on the car in no time! i'd forward that pic on for sure!!!!!
    Think that's a disgrace??

I was coming back from lunch today when I saw the following:

Walking across O'Connell Street heading towards lower Abbey Street, I saw a cop transit van drive the wrong way down middle Abbey Street on the Luas tracks, crossed through a red light on O'Connell Street causing cars and buses to stop and then drove again on the Luas tracks on lower Abbey Street as there was traffic stopped at the red light. A Luas driver blew his horn at the cop van (which had no lights and siren on by the way and was tootling along at a leisurely pace). This caused the cop driver to get out and start threatening the Luas drive as cops tend to do. He then got back in his van and jumped on the accelerator and went through another red light heading for Busaras.

This uniformed shower of thugs need a good kick up the arse. Who the hell do they think they are - the untouchables - who can break the law as and when they see fit.

There was an article in the paper the other day about how society will break down when the public have no respect for the police. I think its fair to say we've arrived at that point.

how can people have respect for them when they act like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wazdakka wrote:
    :O
    Garda Press and public relations---> gpro@iol.ie

I've had reason to email that address a couple of times - never got a reply. :(

Although, you'd think that the National Police force would have 'gpro@garda.ie' or someting. The '@iol.ie' makes it look as if they've got an old diall-up account that no-one remembers the password to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Lets be fair here and concentrate our attention on the percentage of Gardai who behave like this. We cant go tarring them all with the same brush. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Can you imagine what the guards would do if they caught ordinary Joe Soap parking there? (not condoning Joe Soap) but still they cannot be outside the law they are just workers for the law the bunch of morons.

phutyle wrote:
    Although, you'd think that the National Police force would have 'gpro@garda.ie' or someting. The '@iol.ie' makes it look as if they've got an old diall-up account that no-one remembers the password to.
    Im not surprised. Comapre the Garda website (www.garda.ie) against the UK police homepage (www.police.uk).
    Look at all the info inside it compared to the garda site. Its a joke. Sure the menu system on the garda site doesn't even work for me.
    Anyhow, I guess this would be beter off in the webmaster forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

email it to a media group, a paper or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Snivilian

Did anybody consider the possibility that the gaurds may have been investigating something? Maybe a crime something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

They were not investigating anything, they were two fit young fellas having a laugh together walking in to Centra go get their lunch. There was plenty of parking around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Disgusted, I wouldn't drive a Ford either.

• Advertisement

lightening wrote:
    They were not investigating anything, they were two fit young fellas having a laugh together walking in to Centra go get their lunch. There was plenty of parking around the corner.

That makes it a much better anecdote now doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone who wants further Garda pictures should position themselves outside Connolly Station between the hours of 1700-1800pm to see the Garda cars driving to Subway Store and either parking in the bus lane or parking on the path, quality cops. It really tells us what kind of ignorant thick power tripped muppet can find their way into the Garda force nowadays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Don't bother contacting the Press Office. You'll be waisting your time.

At the moment, there are two methods by which you can make a complaint. Either way, do it in writing and include any photographic evidence. Don't even think of emailing.

Firstly, the Guards themselves. Put your complaint *in writing* to:

Complaints Section,
    Internal Affairs,
    Garda Headquarters,
    Phoenix Park,
    Dublin 8.

Secondly, you can complain to the Garda Siochana Complaints Board. Details of what and who it is here:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/general/garda_siochana_complaints_board.html

If I were you, I'd also cc the complaint, plus photo, to the Chief Superintendant, Store St. Divisional Office, Store St., Dublin 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Total waste of time complaining to that bunch of thugs. Do you honestly think they'd reprimand one of their own based on the word of an ordainary punter.

Remember the Reclaim the Streets demo when not one of them could remember who he was standing beside on the day and their attempts to confiscate video and camera footage to get rid of the evidence of them beating the crap out of a bunch of hippies?

It took the Morris tribunal to uncover the rot in Donegal alone.

As for the crap we hear about not tarring them all with the same brush, I've never had what you could describe as a good encounter with the cops. Now I'm fairly well off, come from a good neighbourhood etc, etc but I'm sick of the number of times these eejits have stopped me in my 06 car at checkpoints and told me to produce my insurance at the nearest pig pen. When I ask why, they say "because I told you". These same assholes couldn't respond to a 999 call my girlfriend made a couple of years ago when thieves were breaking into her house. It took the morons in blue 2 hours to turn up (just to be sure the burglars were gone i suppose).

And finally where were the cowards when the thugs took over O'Connell St during the Love Ulster rally. They had lost their zeal for baton charging people that day or do they prefer to go after the hippies?

And yes, I despise the cops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes that parking is a joke:mad:

No it's not illegal

There is AFAIK no law for disabled spaces, maybe thats only in car parks though????

Anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

hmmm im dubious about this. now im not doubting the poster but they are exempt all aspect of road traffic law (except s49 and dangerous driving etc). now while parking in a disabled bay is a disgrace for anyone not least by those supposed to be upholding the law i dont think anyone here would question where they parked the patrol car if they were coming in to help or assist you in a dangerous situation etc. now they may have got a call re something serious that didnt turn out to be but they may have not known that till afterwards hence the bad parking and strolling back from what appeeared to be centra. now im not condoning it im just offerring a possible other side to the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

numorouno wrote:
    now they may have got a call re something serious that didnt turn out to be but they may have not known that till afterwards hence the bad parking and strolling back from what appeeared to be centra. now im not condoning it im just offerring a possible other side to the story

So did you read the part where he said they were strolling to Centra then or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Total waste of time complaining to that bunch of thugs. Do you honestly think they'd reprimand one of their own based on the word of an ordainary punter.

Remember the Reclaim the Streets demo when not one of them could remember who he was standing beside on the day and their attempts to confiscate video and camera footage to get rid of the evidence of them beating the crap out of a bunch of hippies?

It took the Morris tribunal to uncover the rot in Donegal alone.

As for the crap we hear about not tarring them all with the same brush, I've never had what you could describe as a good encounter with the cops. Now I'm fairly well off, come from a good neighbourhood etc, etc but I'm sick of the number of times these eejits have stopped me in my 06 car at checkpoints and told me to produce my insurance at the nearest pig pen. When I ask why, they say "because I told you". These same assholes couldn't respond to a 999 call my girlfriend made a couple of years ago when thieves were breaking into her house. It took the morons in blue 2 hours to turn up (just to be sure the burglars were gone i suppose).

And finally where were the cowards when the thugs took over O'Connell St during the Love Ulster rally. They had lost their zeal for baton charging people that day or do they prefer to go after the hippies?

And yes, I despise the cops!

My experiences with the police have been overwhelmingley negative, and similar to this posters.

A taxi driver went berserk and ran my 1st car off the road, and this was at a crossroads which just happened to have 2 uniformed "mules", as they are known bytheir colleagues leaning in a police van chatting to two more coppers.

I hit the parking light by mistake getting out of the car, and even though the cabbie was going ballistic and threatening to kill me cos I got ahead of him at the lights BECAUSE HE WAS READING A NEWSPAPER, the cop just said to me

" You've a headlight out. Sort it"

I pointed out it was daytime.

Fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Me thinks a phone call to the local red top *Cough* Irish Sun *Cough* should make for some interesting few days in the media :D

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    So did you read the part where he said they were strolling to Centra then or what?

read my reply. they could have been at the call and walked by centra on the way back to the car. i didnt say they went and there are a lot of centras in this country!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

news@rte.ie is a nice email address too....and Charlie Bird isn't bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know what the big deal is - after all did the op see any disabled poeple looking for a parking spot? Whilest I wouldn't park the same myself, I don't see a big sticky thread of post your photos of people parking in disabled spaces anywhere. But if it is a Garda - well they should be different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Not illegal to park on designated Spaces. If I were you I find something better to do with camera time, like organising a sissy party and crying over mispent photo time.

You'd probably be the first to complain about kids playing football on street!!

I sure hope whoever you contact do ignore your whinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I don't know what the big deal is - after all did the op see any disabled poeple looking for a parking spot? Whilest I wouldn't park the same myself, I don't see a big sticky thread of post your photos of people parking in disabled spaces anywhere. But if it is a Garda - well they should be different?

Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing. They should lead by example. How can they expect to have the respect of the public when they are seen to do what they want? A disabled person could've arrived at any point, no? I think they're more important than a couple of Gardai going to Centra.
    It smacks of the pigs ( absolutely no pun or slight intended) in Animal Farm - they laid down laws they flouted themselves.

Sonnenblummen - I take it English is not your first language? Perhaps your "wit" is lost in translation? Don't give up the day job, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Where's the Centra in the IFSC :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stepbar wrote:

A-HA a hole in the story.

Anywho, who cares. Personally I have much better things to do with my time(like pick my nose for example) than to worry about trivial rubbish like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are a garda and I claim my five euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh come on.. I remember a thread not too long ago here about people parking in disabled spaces at shopping centres and there was outrage and questions like "did you go and challenge them/report them?" etc

Just because it's the Gardai we get the "haven't you anything better to do" responses. The Gardai are not above the law (although some of them think they are alright) and - as Prosperous Dave points out - whilst the Gardai have been shown to do a LOT worse, this example here is merely another symptom of the rotten and corrupt element in the force.

Personally I've not much time for them either (well particularly from one Northside - there's even a clue there :D - Dublin station) based on experiences with them over the years, but that aside, the OP is perfectly right to highlight this and should definitely follow up on it as it's only by following through on this sort of thing - rather than just doing the Internet equivalent of bitching about it to your mates in the pub, which some people here seem to be implying he's doing - that something might actually change in this (in many ways) pathetic, corruption-riddled backwater of a country!

*gets off soapbox*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

TimAy wrote:
    lol

Same up at Fitzgibbon Street. I used to work up neat there and the guards' private cars are parked on footpaths, corners, entrance/exits and while all in sundry are being ticketed and, when it came in, clamped on Mountjoy Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

overdriver wrote:
    Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing.

Ehhhm. If it's not illegal nobody can get a point for it. No matter what the moral highground is, if it's not illegal; nothing can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing. They should lead by example. How can they expect to have the respect of the public when they are seen to do what they want? A disabled person could've arrived at any point, no? I think they're more important than a couple of Gardai going to Centra.
    It smacks of the pigs ( absolutely no pun or slight intended) in Animal Farm - they laid down laws they flouted themselves.

I once saw a garda car driving in a bus lane but I couldn't get my camera phone out quick enough. I guess they should be setting a good example and sittingin the traffic queue with the rest of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I once saw a garda car driving in a bus lane but I couldn't get my camera phone out quick enough. I guess they should be setting a good example and sittingin the traffic queue with the rest of this.
    Members who have gone on the Advanced Driving Course are allowed to do this as they are thought to drive with their knees so they can use a cell phone in one hand and munch down a Spar breakfast roll with the other.

But seriously, they're allowed use the bus lanes whilst on official duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Members who have gone on the Advanced Driving Course are allowed to do this as they are thought to drive with their knees so they can use a cell phone in one hand and munch down a Spar breakfast roll with the other.

But seriously, they're allowed use the bus lanes whilst on official duty.

I have to disagree with you there DublinWriter, it is widely known that members of an Garda Siochanna do not give preferential treatment to Spar breakfast rolls, and frequently munch on Centra, and indeed Londis breakfast rolls (where available)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

numorouno wrote:
    hmmm im dubious about this. now im not doubting the poster but they are exempt all aspect of road traffic law (except s49 and dangerous driving etc). now while parking in a disabled bay is a disgrace for anyone not least by those supposed to be upholding the law i dont think anyone here would question where they parked the patrol car if they were coming in to help or assist you in a dangerous situation etc. now they may have got a call re something serious that didnt turn out to be but they may have not known that till afterwards hence the bad parking and strolling back from what appeeared to be centra. now im not condoning it im just offerring a possible other side to the story

The first sensible post in this thread. (PS - they are not exempt from section 50 either).

Not illegal to park on designated Spaces. If I were you I find something better to do with camera time, like organising a sissy party and crying over mispent photo time.

You'd probably be the first to complain about kids playing football on street!!

I sure hope whoever you contact do ignore your whinge.

Who is whinging gard?

stepbar wrote:

Opposit the flower shop near spencer dock.

numorouno wrote:

Yep, good point. However I was strolling through the IFSC, the squad car pulled up, parked in the special needs space. The two guys got out of the car yapping to each other, strolled in to Centra. I thought thats cheeky and took a photo and posted it up here, I don't have an agenda or anything. Some people are getting very hot under the collar at Gards, some getting hot under the collar at me for taking the photo.

The first sensible post in this thread. (PS - they are not exempt from section 50 either).

i would hope not :) imagine em sitting in a car pissed with the car on and some joe public come up and says "are you alright" and they say they only had the car on for heat :D:D hehe
    well if the OP did actually see them park it in the spot and go straight into the shop for food and not on official business then it is a disgrace!i have nothing against the Gardai but this kinda thing isnt on. double parking would be ok (not acceptable) instead of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have to say O.P....deffo one of the best places to put a pic like that. The other posters are correct in saying youd be wasting your time sending that pic to garda press office.

Thousands of people will see that classic pic.....good on ya buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

lightening wrote:
    gards.jpg

IFSC lunchtime today.
    when will we learn
    they don't give a f@ck about joe public...special needs or not.
    they are civil servants trying to get away with doing as little in their working life as possible....and that includes walking anywhere.

the public are only a hindrance to their quest of getting through their working life with out doing anything...

• Advertisement
Advertisement