Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I would never dream of doing this....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

news@rte.ie is a nice email address too....and Charlie Bird isn't bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know what the big deal is - after all did the op see any disabled poeple looking for a parking spot? Whilest I wouldn't park the same myself, I don't see a big sticky thread of post your photos of people parking in disabled spaces anywhere. But if it is a Garda - well they should be different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Not illegal to park on designated Spaces. If I were you I find something better to do with camera time, like organising a sissy party and crying over mispent photo time.

You'd probably be the first to complain about kids playing football on street!!

I sure hope whoever you contact do ignore your whinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I don't know what the big deal is - after all did the op see any disabled poeple looking for a parking spot? Whilest I wouldn't park the same myself, I don't see a big sticky thread of post your photos of people parking in disabled spaces anywhere. But if it is a Garda - well they should be different?

Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing. They should lead by example. How can they expect to have the respect of the public when they are seen to do what they want? A disabled person could've arrived at any point, no? I think they're more important than a couple of Gardai going to Centra.
    It smacks of the pigs ( absolutely no pun or slight intended) in Animal Farm - they laid down laws they flouted themselves.

Sonnenblummen - I take it English is not your first language? Perhaps your "wit" is lost in translation? Don't give up the day job, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Where's the Centra in the IFSC :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stepbar wrote:

A-HA a hole in the story.

Anywho, who cares. Personally I have much better things to do with my time(like pick my nose for example) than to worry about trivial rubbish like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are a garda and I claim my five euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh come on.. I remember a thread not too long ago here about people parking in disabled spaces at shopping centres and there was outrage and questions like "did you go and challenge them/report them?" etc

Just because it's the Gardai we get the "haven't you anything better to do" responses. The Gardai are not above the law (although some of them think they are alright) and - as Prosperous Dave points out - whilst the Gardai have been shown to do a LOT worse, this example here is merely another symptom of the rotten and corrupt element in the force.

Personally I've not much time for them either (well particularly from one Northside - there's even a clue there :D - Dublin station) based on experiences with them over the years, but that aside, the OP is perfectly right to highlight this and should definitely follow up on it as it's only by following through on this sort of thing - rather than just doing the Internet equivalent of bitching about it to your mates in the pub, which some people here seem to be implying he's doing - that something might actually change in this (in many ways) pathetic, corruption-riddled backwater of a country!

*gets off soapbox*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Shaybo

TimAy wrote:
    lol

That really is ridiculous though. It's like at the Garda station on Harcourt street with all the Garda cars parked up on the path. Literally the entire car up on the path.

Same up at Fitzgibbon Street. I used to work up neat there and the guards' private cars are parked on footpaths, corners, entrance/exits and while all in sundry are being ticketed and, when it came in, clamped on Mountjoy Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

overdriver wrote:
    Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing.

Ehhhm. If it's not illegal nobody can get a point for it. No matter what the moral highground is, if it's not illegal; nothing can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes, they should, because they would award a Joe Soap a penalty point for the same thing. They should lead by example. How can they expect to have the respect of the public when they are seen to do what they want? A disabled person could've arrived at any point, no? I think they're more important than a couple of Gardai going to Centra.
    It smacks of the pigs ( absolutely no pun or slight intended) in Animal Farm - they laid down laws they flouted themselves.

I once saw a garda car driving in a bus lane but I couldn't get my camera phone out quick enough. I guess they should be setting a good example and sittingin the traffic queue with the rest of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I once saw a garda car driving in a bus lane but I couldn't get my camera phone out quick enough. I guess they should be setting a good example and sittingin the traffic queue with the rest of this.
    Members who have gone on the Advanced Driving Course are allowed to do this as they are thought to drive with their knees so they can use a cell phone in one hand and munch down a Spar breakfast roll with the other.

But seriously, they're allowed use the bus lanes whilst on official duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Members who have gone on the Advanced Driving Course are allowed to do this as they are thought to drive with their knees so they can use a cell phone in one hand and munch down a Spar breakfast roll with the other.

But seriously, they're allowed use the bus lanes whilst on official duty.

I have to disagree with you there DublinWriter, it is widely known that members of an Garda Siochanna do not give preferential treatment to Spar breakfast rolls, and frequently munch on Centra, and indeed Londis breakfast rolls (where available)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

numorouno wrote:
    hmmm im dubious about this. now im not doubting the poster but they are exempt all aspect of road traffic law (except s49 and dangerous driving etc). now while parking in a disabled bay is a disgrace for anyone not least by those supposed to be upholding the law i dont think anyone here would question where they parked the patrol car if they were coming in to help or assist you in a dangerous situation etc. now they may have got a call re something serious that didnt turn out to be but they may have not known that till afterwards hence the bad parking and strolling back from what appeeared to be centra. now im not condoning it im just offerring a possible other side to the story

The first sensible post in this thread. (PS - they are not exempt from section 50 either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Not illegal to park on designated Spaces. If I were you I find something better to do with camera time, like organising a sissy party and crying over mispent photo time.

You'd probably be the first to complain about kids playing football on street!!

I sure hope whoever you contact do ignore your whinge.

Who is whinging gard?

stepbar wrote:

Opposit the flower shop near spencer dock.

numorouno wrote:
    hmmm im dubious about this. now im not doubting the poster but they are exempt all aspect of road traffic law (except s49 and dangerous driving etc). now while parking in a disabled bay is a disgrace for anyone not least by those supposed to be upholding the law i dont think anyone here would question where they parked the patrol car if they were coming in to help or assist you in a dangerous situation etc. now they may have got a call re something serious that didnt turn out to be but they may have not known that till afterwards hence the bad parking and strolling back from what appeeared to be centra. now im not condoning it im just offerring a possible other side to the story

Yep, good point. However I was strolling through the IFSC, the squad car pulled up, parked in the special needs space. The two guys got out of the car yapping to each other, strolled in to Centra. I thought thats cheeky and took a photo and posted it up here, I don't have an agenda or anything. Some people are getting very hot under the collar at Gards, some getting hot under the collar at me for taking the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

The first sensible post in this thread. (PS - they are not exempt from section 50 either).

i would hope not :) imagine em sitting in a car pissed with the car on and some joe public come up and says "are you alright" and they say they only had the car on for heat :D:D hehe
    well if the OP did actually see them park it in the spot and go straight into the shop for food and not on official business then it is a disgrace!i have nothing against the Gardai but this kinda thing isnt on. double parking would be ok (not acceptable) instead of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have to say O.P....deffo one of the best places to put a pic like that. The other posters are correct in saying youd be wasting your time sending that pic to garda press office.

Thousands of people will see that classic pic.....good on ya buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

lightening wrote:
    gards.jpg

However, some people think its fine to park in a space reserved for special needs people and stroll of in to the shops for luch.

IFSC lunchtime today.
    when will we learn
    they don't give a f@ck about joe public...special needs or not.
    they are civil servants trying to get away with doing as little in their working life as possible....and that includes walking anywhere.

the public are only a hindrance to their quest of getting through their working life with out doing anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I think the last post says it all. A typical media driven response about civil and public servants by a clueless fool. Can you really and honestly say that the likes of nurses don't work their butts off to help other people? And then we have the likes of you sitting on front of your computer screen writing this sh!te.

Grow up.

hawker wrote:
    I think the last post says it all. A typical media driven response about civil and public servants by a clueless fool. Can you really and honestly say that the likes of nurses don't work their butts off to help other people? And then we have the likes of you sitting on front of your computer screen writing this sh!te.

Grow up.

wow...way off the topic my learned friend... you could get banned for that.

also i presume you are not very good at getting you point across or is it that people never listen to you... is that why you have to resort to childish personal insults and throw your toys out of the cot...
    relax, compose your self and try to act like an adult... that way people will listen to what you have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

This post was about a Garda car parked in a disabled parking spot. You were the one who mentioned the civil servants (presume you meant public) getting away without working for most of their lives. Therefore my defence of nurses, who IMO do a thankless job, was fully justified.

In conclusion, it was in fact you who led the post off topic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@hawker - less of the insults
    @squiggle - his reply was in response to your post so wasn't off topic. Also given the content of your post @7:51 today, I believe you are resorting to childish statements tarring all embers of an organisation with the same brush. Do you know for a fact that every single member of the gardai is like this? If not then please keep it to yourself!

kbannon wrote:
    tarring all embers of an organisation with the same brush. Do you know for a fact that every single member of the gardai is like this? If not then please keep it to yourself!

this only applies to me right? because their are plenty of people taring them with the same brush, but you only pull me up on it.
    was it something i said:D

but ill take what you said to me on board...and i thank you for your guidance:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

i was driving a friend of mine home from my house last night at about 11. its not that far of a drive and most of it is on a very good road, the limit is 100k, it was obvously dark, and the roads were at the stage just after the rain when there starting to dry, u know the worst way they can be. i was heading down this road at about 100k, no trafic ahead at all, the road was v quite, then a car that was about 100m behind me, started to come closer. i watched him in my mirror and he only stoped getting closer when he was close enough to hear the music i was listing to. he was about 2 meters away. i presumed he was about to over take, so i decided to indicate to the left, because he was so close, and pull in for him to over take. but when i did that he followed me onto the hard shoulder, me, getting kinda worried, slowed down a bit, about 5k slower, to urge him to overtake or slow down. he followed me for about 2 miles like that and just as i was about to pull over and stop to let him go ahead, he over took me and passed me out and continued to speed up, and by the time he was oput of sight, id say he was going about 130k. now was it bad driving on his part, or do people do that kinda tail gating alot? im just a provisional driver and not on the roads long, so any advice on what i should have done? i didnt even think of getting his plate untill i got home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Drummer - my take on your post is that you did everything right. You weren't speeding, you were aware of the road conditions and watching for them, and you gave the guy behind you every possibility to go past you.
    On his part, given the conditions you were driving in (and even if it was bone dry), he was too close for safety, and obviously not worried about your or his own well being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭insane drummer

k, thanks fey, wasnt sure if it was sumthing i was doing rong, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

My cousin is totally disabled, she's 12. I never would park in the Disabled Space anyway but when I seen the hassle my aunt/ uncle have to go through even in a disabled space it really made me realise how inconsiderate people are that park in the spaces.

I know it's not illegal to park in the spaces but if Joe Public did it, any other member of the public would frown upon it, rightly so too. The fact that it's two Gardai doing it is worse. I think the OP was totally in the right.

I don't think making a complaint is going to make a difference though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ninty9er wrote:
    No it's not illegal
    There is AFAIK no law for disabled spaces, maybe thats only in car parks though????

Anyone???
    Not illegal to park on designated Spaces.
    Ay Cee wrote:
    I know it's not illegal to park in the spaces
    I can't believe that no one knows that it is illegal to park in disabled spaces.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI182Y1997.html#ZZSI182Y1997A44
    Basically, you may not stop or park in a Disabled Persons Parking Bay unless you display a Disabled Person's Parking Permit.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI182Y1997.html#ZZSI182Y1997A5
    Such regulations do not apply to a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Síochána in performance of the duties of that member.

Advertisement