Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interested in a Car but are the AA/Rac check worth it.

Options
  • 25-08-2006 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am after movin over to wales and i am looking for buy a car over here, This morning i managed to find a 316i Coupe... Air Con/Alloys standard inter... The Car is spotless after from Missin 1 wing mirror(Ebay) The Car has 87k Miles on it... Mot for 10 months taxed till Dec...He is looking for 1800 for it but reckon i can get it for 1600 or soo... Its a 1997.. Does that price seem good for 97 316i coupe?Thing is i wouldnt no very much about the mech side of cars and AA/Rac want the bones of 140 Pounds to get it checked out...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds pretty good money (expect people to say "buy a 2.0"!) if you really know diddly-squat then 140 squids is worth spending. Just find out if the survey comes with a guarantee.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

£140 is a lot cheaper than what you'd pay here. I'd go for it
    mike65 wrote:
    (expect people to say "buy a 2.0"!)

Isn't it a lot cheaper to insure a car with a bit more oomph in the UK compared to here? If it is, why would you limit yourself to a 316, Dan?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could find a local mechanic for less but Im assuming that you don't know any there.
    The AA/RAC will look at the car for you and let you know if its worth buying. If its not then you lost £140 but that is a lot less than the money spent on buying a crap car!
    If you go to the site in my sig, there are folk there who would probably help you look at a car for nowt. Its worth asking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

make sure that £140 covers everything. I thought the full tests were the guts of £200.

If you are on a limited budget I wouldn't do it. Parts can be expensive etc.
    Plus, £200 is a good % of the purchase price!

If you can afford to fix a few things or can see that work has been done on it then go for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

looking at theaa.com they outsource the vehicle checks to this crowd(www.dekra-assured.com) but it costs £199 for a '97 316i.
    (their price rises to £249 if the size goes over 2L for some reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I have a car over here, been lookin for a few on ebay aswell there is a lovely lookin one about 1 hour drive i am considerin havin a look..I am limiting myself to a 1.8 litre to be honest, was considerin spendin a extra 1k to buy a tdi golf with the price of petrol... I will have a look on the Bmw boards and sure i will get it checked out better save than sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'd second getting a Deisel. The Mondeo 2.0 TDCi is cheap to insure in the UK, and a nice roomy car. Does decent MPG as well.

Advertisement