Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse - Help?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

Pest control is part of my job and i can tell you that those break-back traps are useless along with those sonic deterrants. There are sticky boards you may still be able to get (i say 'may' because apparently some arseholes were using them recently to catch birds so the government outlawed them)......they're cruel but you'll have the mouse caught in a couple of hours at the most. Only downside is you may have to kill him if he's still alive when you check the trap (usually they die of fright). The glue on these traps is super strength so there's no chance of the mouse escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'll stick with the humane traps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

I remember an article in the guardian about a woman who caught a succession of mice in her humane traps and the released the in the park

The 1st was so terrified it ran into traffic and got killed

the 2nd was so confused it sprinted into a lake and drowned itself

the 3rd ran around in the open grass and was killed by a cat.

How did this person keep track of these mice? Did she have a tiny little documentary crew follow them around? That sounds ridiculous!

I'm having a problem with mice also. I usually catch them with those crappy wooden traps. But by the time I catch them they've outsmarted me several times and have gotten the food off without dying so they're really fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Caught a little bugger yesterday. Thought that was the end of it. But then my daughter spotted another in the kitchen and her friend saw one in an upstairs bedroom today.

Anyone know how they get in?

The only way I can see (other than through the doors) would involve a lot of climbing. Are they good climbers. Can they jump in through open windows? I had an extension built earlier this year. Could they climb up onto the roof and get in through an upstairs window?

I have a couple of highly strung women in the house and as a result I'm becoming highly strung myself. The missus is starting to hear them all over the place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

The Swordman, mice are excellent climbers. It is entirely possible that they could have climbed your house and got in through an upstairs window.
    However, it is much more probable that they got in through a tiny hole somewhere around the outside of the house. They are also incredible escape artists (which means that they're just as good at the opposite of escaping), and can fit through absolutely minuscule gaps. No house is entirely free of small gaps in its structure, and there are countless ways that a mouse/spider/any kind of small creature could enter without you even noticing.

Better not tell the ladies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think one of the most common points of entry is the washing machine drainpipe that usually runs outside to a shore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Am I the only girl who likes rodents? I dont mind having a few of em around. They dont spread disease like rats, I think its cool to have a wild animal choosing to live with you, even if they only want you for their food:rolleyes:

We had a family of rats living outside our back door, the dog had recently moved into the kennel out back, none of the four cats would go near the back since he was there. Eight of them ran past the kitchen window one day. I thought they were cool , and wanted to keep them, but no, Mam got rat poison and condemned them to a horrible death. Poor ratties!

Cats arent always the best solution. Some of em cant be arsed hunting em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Archeron wrote:
    because even though humans arent meant to hear the noise, I could. It wasnt uncomfortable, but it was a bit weird.

Me too....

I though I was teenwolf for a while!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

BarneyMac wrote:
    Pest control is part of my job and i can tell you that those break-back traps are useless along with those sonic deterrants.
    I have killed 5 mice in the past 2 weeks with break back traps and nutella.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Nutella seems to work well - just use a small amount in the middle of the trap. I smeared a good amount on the first couple of traps and I'm convinced that when I checked them the following morning, some of it was gone. Could be paranoia from sharing my house with these bastards, but I reckon they nibbled round the edges without setting the traps off. They knew it would piss me off .:mad:

Started off using ham and took me me four days to catch the first one. After advice from a friend, I switched to Nutella and I caught three yesterday alone.

Nutella - crap on bread, great on mousetraps :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement